android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Default Fluorescent lights, LCD screens, may cause eye damage

I recently got this newsletter from my eye doctor's office. It talks about the dangers of blue light from fluorescent lights, computer screens, tablets, and so on. What do you think, should we be worried?

http://www.eyecontactmadison.com/newsletter

and another link: http://www.macular.org/bluelite.html

"BLUE LIGHT HAZARDS
Blue light is everywhere. It exists in the very fiber of our culture. How can you protect yourself? We learn at a young age about the visible light spectrum, you know, the rainbow? Well, each color, or wavelength, of the light spectrum has a unique effect on us, beyond the color you painted your bedroom in high school. Researchers have shown that light influences our hormone secretion, heart rate, alertness, obesity, sleep propensity, body temperature, disease and gene expression. That pretty much covers everything a person ought to be concerned about health wise. Clearly light, and most specifically blue wavelengths of light, impact our quality of life in so many ways.

Circadian Rhythms
Circadian rhythm is a natural biological process that for most humans repeats every 24 hours, give or take an hour. It’s regulated by communication between the hypothalamus (a part of your brain) and the optic nerve. Before the industrial revolution, the human circadian rhythm was dependent on the sun, the moon and the four seasons. We maximized our sun exposure when we rose early, worked outside and went to bed when it became dark. The invention of fluorescent lighting, TV, desk and laptop computers, iPads, handheld phones, and video games have recently and dramatically changed this pattern. We are increasingly exposed to blue light in a way that has had a significant effect on our natural rhythms. Blue light is now ingrained in our society during all hours of the day. Research by NASA has shown that the presence of blue light in the “dark” portion of the human circadian rhythm is disruptive to the human sleep cycle. Blue light has also been shown to drastically reduce the production of Melatonin, the brains natural sleep-aid. NASA researchers have created a simulated sleep/wake schedule for their astronauts by altering the wavelengths of light in the shuttle in accordance with natural circadian rhythm. This promotes sleep, thereby wellness for their orbiting astronauts. Numerous studies show increasing correlation between sleep disruption and disease. According to Harvard sleep researcher Stephen Lockley “Light at night is part of the reason so many people don't get enough sleep, and researchers have linked short sleep to increased risk for depression, as well as diabetes and cardiovascular problems.” Another recent Harvard study suggests a strong correlation between blue light, obesity and type 2 diabetes. The study, which put a panel of people on a shifting circadian rhythm cycle by altering their exposure to blue light wavelengths, showed a spike in blood sugar levels and an increase in the hormone leptin (a hormone that regulates hunger and satiety) after exposure to blue light during “dark” hours. Coincidence? We think not.

Ocular Hazards
Our eyes are our light filters. The very images we see are light reflections. It is widely understood that certain light wavelengths can cause harm to our skin and eyes when left unprotected. Hence sunscreen and UV protected sunglasses. What about the blue light that is emitted from your iMac or Android phone? Or the fluorescent lighting in your office or home? How do you protect your self from that? Countless studies are legitimizing the correlation between overexposure to blue light and retinal damage. One of the leading modifiable environmental risk factors associated with Age-related Macular Degeneration is prolonged, unprotected exposure to blue light. In fact, there is mounting medical evidence that prolonged exposure to blue light may permanently damage the eyes, contribute to cataracts and to the destruction of the macula. In an era dominated by office environments and gadgets emitting blue light, what can be done to protect and preserve your health and vision from its hazardous effects?

A simple change for your health
I am not going to sit on a soap box and talk about how we all should limit our gaming, TV or internet addictions as I am aware it would be like trying to scream underwater. These things have quickly, for better AND for worse, become the fabric of our culture. I am certainly not going to give up my iPhone or computer anytime soon, and I know no one else on the planet will either. Lens manufacturers are now focusing on making blue blocking lenses. These lenses can be made with your prescription and will help to protect your eyes from the harmful effects of your blue light gadgetry. The lenses have a yellow tint which could take some getting used to, but the benefits do outweigh the interesting fashion statement. Aside from blue-blocking lenses, here are some small steps that can be taken to help reduce your exposure to blue light and protect your eyes. Supplementing Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Meso-Zeaxanthin, the light filtering carotenoids present in the macula will increase the density of your macular pigment thereby increasing protection from the inside of the eye. Keep low ambient, non fluorescent lighting in your bedroom. It is important to maintain the integrity of your circadian rhythm. Maybe even spend at least an hour before bed without looking at your phone, computer screen, etc. Okay, I know that last one may be a stretch but, think of it as my personal challenge to you. Who knows? It may be the ticket to a healthier happier, more well rested you!"

Last edited by bascom; 12-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
What about the blue light that is emitted from your iMac or Android phone? Or the fluorescent lighting in your office or home?
Portable devices and nearly all newish monitors don't use fluorescent lighting. They use LEDs, which are pumped at ~460-470 nm and stokes shifted to longer wavelengths. These are not UV sources. They actually struggle to generate very much blue light at all, which is why color rendering on cell phones is generally quite bad compared to CRTs which could generate deeper blues.

Fluorescent lighting can generate UV, particularly in modern compact designs that use mercury if they are not properly shielded. However, they generate very short wavelength UV which is strongly absorbed by water and the natural UV filters built into our cornea. These rays are bad, but they do not damage the retina, rather they can cause cataracts in the lens of the eye. The author confuses these wavelengths of UV (or simply does not understand that many types of UV exist) with longer wavelengths on the edge of the blue spectrum which can penetrate into the eye. These are what UV filters protect against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
[FONT=&quot][SIZE=3] I recently got this newsletter from my eye doctor's office. It talks about the dangers of blue light from fluorescent lights, computer screens, tablets, and so on. What do you think, should we be worried?
Basically, intense deep blue light is bad for your eye because it causes all kinds of chemical reactions in the photoreceptors. Modern sources don't generate deep blue light, and they don't generate all that much total radiance either (basically they're large, diffuse sources like screens or tubes that generate little light per area and so are less dangerous then smaller bulbs). If you take a blue laser or arc lamp and put retinal cells under it, you'll damage them quite quickly, so don't stare into 405 nm blue laser pointers or you will damage your vision. But the ~480nm light with a million times lower radiance from your mp3 player or room lighting isn't going to do anything.

As for if you should be worried, I read stuff like this pretty regularly from the various vendor's marketing departments. Looking at your link, the woman who wrote it is:

1) not a doctor
2) trying to sell you stuff
3) has a degree in literature from a community college

My guess is some marketing department tried to sell her something and shes passing some half-remembered nonsense back to you. The only thing I would worry about is unsubscribing from that newsletter and/or look for a better informed doctor's office.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. What you say sounds believable but I don't know if I should trust a poster here anymore than my eye doctor's newsletter. The author may have a degree in literature from a community college, but I'm presuming her newsletter was verified and approved by the eye doctor's who work in the office.

What about the other link http://www.macular.org/bluelite.html? Does it seem like a trusted source? It says "While the primary source of UV light is the sun, other sources include welder's flash, video display terminals, fluorescent lighting,...Who needs protection from harmful UV light?Those in certain light environments. For example, if you work in an environment which is brightly lit with fluorescent light fixtures or if you spend hours in front of a computer terminal."

Ironically, I'm having trouble with the fonts of this message which is why it may look weird.

Last edited by bascom; 01-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I recently got this newsletter from my eye doctor's office. It talks about the dangers of blue light from fluorescent lights, computer screens, tablets, and so on. What do you think, should we be worried?
I've spent a lot of time in front of various computer screens, tablets, cell phones, etc. over the years, and my eyes haven't gotten any worse. One side of my room has quite a few little blue and red lights when I sleep, from my monitors, computers, speakers, and stereo stuff....my brain hasn't fried yet either.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've spent a lot of time in front of various computer screens, tablets, cell phones, etc. over the years, and my eyes haven't gotten any worse. One side of my room has quite a few little blue and red lights when I sleep, from my monitors, computers, speakers, and stereo stuff....my brain hasn't fried yet either.
+1.

I spend a lot of time in front of screens like Marvin said, and my eyesight is perfect. But then again, I'm rather young, lol. I have never needed glasses of any kind and hopefully won't for a while.

But I have heard some places that staring at screens before bed can affect your sleep. That's a different topic tho.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
my eyes haven't gotten any worse.
Are you over 50 years old? I think cataracts and macular problems usually don't show up until age 50 or older. These are long term effects we are talking about.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Are you over 50 years old? I think cataracts and macular problems usually don't show up until age 50 or older. These are long term effects we are talking about.
I'm 41....and I do wear glasses, but my eyes haven't changed in many years.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I bought a set of gunnar optics glasses this week from Woot! & they arrived today. I gave them a 5 minute test,...seems to help my eyes a bit. I'm 45,...

Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
The author may have a degree in literature from a community college, but I'm presuming her newsletter was verified and approved by the eye doctor's who work in the office.
Two things:

1) You probably shouldn't go to an optometrist for things like this, as its usually the domain of an ophthalmologist.

2) As someone who has researches retinal disease, I strongly recommend that you try to find a better source of information, if you believe me or not.

Quote:
What about the other link http://www.macular.org/bluelite.html? Does it seem like a trusted source?
Its not bad, although its somewhat confusing for them to talk about melanin in the eye as analogous to sunglasses. The eye does contain melanin, but only in the RPE, the layer below the retina. So while it blocks light, its light that has already passed through your photoreceptors.

I think their general advice about wearing sunglasses in intense sunlight is sensible. Blocking UV in prescription eye wear is also sensible, although I'm skeptical that it matters indoors.

Quote:
It says "While the primary source of UV light is the sun, other sources include welder's flash, video display terminals, fluorescent lighting,...Who needs protection from harmful UV light?Those in certain light environments. For example, if you work in an environment which is brightly lit with fluorescent light fixtures or if you spend hours in front of a computer terminal."
The "fluorescent" in "fluorescent light" refers to the use of UV radiation to excite a fluorophore. The excited fluorophore (which is coated on the inside of the glass) then emits visible light via a stokes shift. So all fluorescent lights are capable of emitting UV, although they're generally made of materials that are opaque to short wavelengths (that is, most glass). So they shouldn't be leaking it, but they certainly can if poorly made.

LCD screens contain fluorescent lights (or at least older ones did), so I think that is why people incorrectly claim that they produce UV light. However, the actual LCD modulator and diffuser in the screen cannot pass UV radiation, making the spectrum of teh source light unimportant. Whatever you put in, UV isnt' making it though all that strongly absorbing plastic.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know you researched retinal disease.

Marvin and Darkside are in their 40's like me? I thought you were youngsters in your 20s or 30s. You must be youthful for your age or young at heart.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I bought a set of gunnar optics glasses this week from Woot! & they arrived today. I gave them a 5 minute test,...seems to help my eyes a bit. I'm 45,...
You can get them in Rx too(A must for me) and they are great for night time driving.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Marvin and Darkside are in their 40's like me? I thought you were youngsters in your 20s or 30s. You must be youthful for your age or young at heart.
Young at heart, yes ....I never wanted to grow up, but a little health scare forced me to a few years back.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, the Gunnar optics glasses are fine. But for me, I'll use my regular glasses w/the uv coating. The yellow tint irritates my eyes w/my new comp. But, I will get a nice set of nighttime driving glasses (ala' yellow tint). And I need a little clip on desk lamp,...

And yes, I'm 45. And I do act my age when necessary,...but I prefer to remain young at heart. That's what will keep us alive!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
I'm 41....and I do wear glasses, but my eyes haven't changed in many years. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Ok, the Gunnar optics glasses are fine. But for me, I'll use my regular glasses w/the uv coating. The yellow tint irritates my eyes w/my new comp. But, I will get a nice set of nighttime driving glasses (ala' yellow tint). And I need a little clip on desk lamp,...

And yes, I'm 45. And I do act my age when necessary,...but I prefer to remain young at heart. That's what will keep us alive!!!
I'm older than all you young whippersnappers.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Computer screens may cause vision problems

I got this newsletter from my vision insurance company. Sounds rather scary about computer, tablet, and smartphone screens causing eye damage. I wonder if LDC/LED TV's emit blue light, also?

http://vspblog.com/blue-light-warning/

Have you ever heard of blue light? Maybe not, but you’re mostly likely being exposed to it right now by looking at a screen on your computer, tablet or smartphone. Yes, the digital devices we have become so dependent on may actually be harming our eyes. That’s because the screens on these digital devices, along with fluorescent lights and even the sun, are actually emitting a harmful wavelength of light.

Effects of Blue Light
This so called blue light is harmful because it can penetrate all the way to the back of your eyes, which is unlike most wavelengths of light. That doesn’t mean your eyes only see things in blue, but it does mean that over time you may have a greater risk for eye diseases like macular degeneration.

How to Protect Your Eyes from Damage Caused by Digital Devices
Everyone encounters blue light, but you can protect yourself by exercising and eating healthy fruits and vegetables. In addition, wear UNITY BluTech lenses when using digital devices to block harmful blue light.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Administrator

I've moved your most current post on this to the older, related thread. Makes it easier for anyone to see what's been said before.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks I searched for the older thread but couldn't find it.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
As for if you should be worried, I read stuff like this pretty regularly from the various vendor's marketing departments. Looking at your link, the woman who wrote it is:

1) not a doctor
2) trying to sell you stuff
3) has a degree in literature from a community college
But I did a web search for "blie light eye damage" and several sites come up which aren't marketing depts trying to sell stuff.

http://www.cclvi.org/contributions/effects1.htm

http://www.elvex.com/facts11.htm

http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvis...t-Exposure.htm

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"What do you think, should we be worried?"

We should be very worried if we don't own shares of CREE.

(Just a joke, I don't recommend buying CREE shares now)
Perhaps soon LED lighting will become cost effective, however paying over $10 each for led bulbs when compact florescent bulbs are around $1 each doesn't seem to make sense economically for most people. The compact florescent bulbs save around 75% of the power of incandescent bulbs. Switching to LED bulbs instead doesn't save that much additional power. I think it is something like 24 watts for a compact florescent that is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent. Moving to an LED bulb is something like 16 watts. Unless you electric rates are very high, it doesn't pay. Hopefully soon decent LED bulbs will be under $5 each, then they will become interesting for many more people.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM

I read using your PC or device at night is when the blue light does the most damage to your eyes. So there is free software called F.Lux you can install on your PC. It adjusts and dims the the display on your PC at night so it emits less blue light. I've tried it for a month and like it. It makes the PC slightly harder to view which discourages me from using it at night, so I do feel like I'm helping my eyes.

https://justgetflux.com/

https://www.facebook.com/justgetflux