android
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Default Is there a better MP3 player for me?

I have been using Ipods in my car exclusively for the past 5 years due to the interoperability between them and my car head unit. However my Ipod 5th gen 30gb recently got stolen and I am looking for a replacement. Been wanting a Ipod Classic 160gb for awhile now but decided to look around and see if there was anything better.

My requirements are:

large capacity (100+GB so probably an HDD unit)
Good sound quality
Able to drive balanced armature earbuds (currently running Audeo Phonak's)
Digital out would be a bonus (for use with a Fiio E17 or similar)

Does such a thing exist or am I better off with the Ipod classic for ease of use with my car stereo? I dont need fancy things like the galaxy player or ipod touch bring (I have a Galaxy S2 and a Ipad for that) but want a good stand alone MP3 player. I also hate apple so having a reason to not continue buying their MP3 players would be awesome.

Last edited by Bun-Bun; 10-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

All mp3 players work the same with car stereos imo. If you have an aux jack/fm transmitter/casette adapter that is. They are universal and only require a 3.5mm headphone jack. Not many hd players around nowadays so you are probably better off with the ipod classic anyway

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

ipod are the only one that actually connect to car head units. ie. I control the ipod from my head unit (they connect via the dock connector and also use the line out so SQ is better than using the headphone jack). And new head units actually pull off the digital output of the ipod so its even better.

Looking around the only other thing with large capacity is the Zune and Archos products.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM

well zune is discontinued and i wouldn't reccomend archos. cowon does have a harddrive based player but not sure how good it is. it's called the x7 http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cow...ech_specs.html

Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM

What head units are you trying to interface with and do they have plain usb navigation capabilities? They make some wicked small usb microsd card holders which will give you 64gb for around $70 card included.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70062

Or a regular USB SD card holder with a 128gb card (obviously more expensive).

Just beware of file # limits which could reduce usable capacity.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Currently I am running a Alpine CDA-9887 which has no USB functionality at all.

I am aware newer HU's have USB and card readers but I like having all my music in one place so that I don't have to maintain multiple libraries. Having the Ipod was nice as when I'm in the car my music is there, when I go somewhere without my car I still have my music. When I go home I ipod interfaces with my stereo. Plus newer headunits are able to pull from the ipods digital out and the DAC in the head unit is far superior to any mobile platform.

That Cowan X7 looks to have better reviews in regards to SQ than the Ipods do (unamped). But I see no line out or digital out on it.

I think I just answered my own question.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post

I am aware newer HU's have USB and card readers but I like having all my music in one place so that I don't have to maintain multiple libraries. Having the Ipod was nice as when I'm in the car my music is there, when I go somewhere without my car I still have my music. When I go home I ipod interfaces with my stereo. Plus newer headunits are able to pull from the ipods digital out and the DAC in the head unit is far superior to any mobile platform.

That Cowan X7 looks to have better reviews in regards to SQ than the Ipods do (unamped). But I see no line out or digital out on it.

It sounds to me like for what you need, the 160GB Classic is the way to go. I listen to one from the line-out and the sound is quite good, I think.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I vote 160gb iPod classic as well. Nothing wrong with the sq, and the functionality is exactly what you require. Just update to a fresh one,...

PS: what's a "Bun Bun"?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
www.sluggy.com

Been looking into it and there are quite a few direct digital solutions for ipod's floating around. Which in itself makes the iPod the best multi purpose portable transport.

iPod classic it is then! Thanks for the info guys. I thought the MP3 player market would be more developed then it is...

Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
www.sluggy.com

Been looking into it and there are quite a few direct digital solutions for ipod's floating around. Which in itself makes the iPod the best multi purpose portable transport.

iPod classic it is then! Thanks for the info guys. I thought the MP3 player market would be more developed then it is...
Nope, the market is slowing down for them, sadly.....so many more people nowadays are just using their cell phones rather than dedicated players.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Quote:
Must be in secret code. I sure can't figure it out.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Must be in secret code. I sure can't figure it out.
Bun-Bun is a character in that webcomic. The killer rabbit with a switchblade.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, missed it too,...since it didn't say "Bun Bun". Well, I guessed correctly - but I don't get points because I didn't spit out the answer.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:

I have an Alpine 9887R too and I consider it one of the last really great units for cd and music playing Alpine has ever done (now discontinued)

The jack in jack out discussion is totally academic because...

Alpine does have a 9887R adapter specifically build to connect Ipods. You can even browse and control the ipod it from the Alpine face plate. Alpine reference is KCE-422i

You didnīt know about this ?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 AM

Ipod classics (video 5.5G in my case ) need to be reseted a lot of times and its screens burnt
soon....not to mention the horrible handfeel with the metal case and the weight...you also need
to transform the videos and music files every F++++ time

Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
I have an Alpine 9887R too and I consider it one of the last really great units for cd and music playing Alpine has ever done (now discontinued)

The jack in jack out discussion is totally academic because...

Alpine does have a 9887R adapter specifically build to connect Ipods. You can even browse and control the ipod it from the Alpine face plate. Alpine reference is KCE-422i

You didnīt know about this ?
I knew as I have that interface. That is why I wanted an ipod to begin was to use this interface.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then get an iPod. There's nothing wrong with an educated decision. I own an iPod,...most here do as well.