android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Default Linux media player that can play music by year

Trying to build a music player computer, and was kind of shocked about how much people still want for vista. But one of the things I like about windows media player is that I can play a year alphabetically by artist\album name\song order with a single click. I've been working through a bunch of linux players today on Debian, and can't seem to find anything that works similarly.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Or know where to get Vista Ultimate for under $125 legitimately).

I hate playlists, I want to leverage the library in exactly the same way wmp 11 works, and not have to build anything to listen to music.

Last edited by kp-j3; 12-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I'd take a look at Clementine. I don't have it installed but using it a friends house over the holiday I found it to be fairly impressive in it's ability to display and playback in different modes. Setting it up to play by Year\Artist\Album didn't seem to take much when I watched him do it.

Not being a Linux purist I cheat and use foobar2000 under Wine in Ubuntu. I thought my buddy was going to lose it when he heard about that. He introduced me to DeaDBeef as a player that should work much like fb2k but is specific to Linux. I've been fiddling with that for a few months but never really wrapped my head around the way it works.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Well banshee can probably sort by year and i bet you that you can play in order of the list. i'd try that

Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM

yep just installed banshee it's not by default but you can add a year column and sort by year by clicking the column

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Great input guys, thanks. I did briefly look at banshee, but not clementine. I saw another one that looked like it could do it straight out of the install as well.

But I ran into an issue during transfer (looks like file corruption), so I'm working through that and hope to get back to the linux mochine this weekend.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Songbird can do it I believe? I'm testing distros ATM (Dell Inspiron 6000 w/4GB of ram). I've been through UBUNTU, LinuxMint, Macpup, and Fedora. I'm installing Peppermint tomorrow - after it downloads. Only LinuxMint was an easy Songbird install,...I just did a search & installed.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
Great input guys, thanks. I did briefly look at banshee, but not clementine. I saw another one that looked like it could do it straight out of the install as well.

But I ran into an issue during transfer (looks like file corruption), so I'm working through that and hope to get back to the linux mochine this weekend.
beauty of linux you can try all this different stuff without a limited trial version and remove it very quickly like it was almost never there. try them all see what you like the best then use that.