android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 AM

Default IEM or full sized headphones?

im considering soundmagic e10 and superlux hd330/660..and even superlux HD668B i guess..they say full sized headphones have better sound quality than iems of the same price..so what would you recommend between these headphones? im just considering sound quality and lifespan..i only listen to music when im in my room..obviously im tight on budget i know someone in this forum have both experienced both products ..thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 AM

Both IEMs and full size cans have their uses. While traveling or out on the go, I prefer IEMs. At home I prefer speakers first and when I can’t use them because of others being around I use my full size cans. While I’ve not tested either of the ones you mention, if you only use headphones in your room then I’d only be looking for the best full size cans you can afford.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd go with the E10's everytime. I annoy my wife to no end when playing Counter Strike: Source using my superlux hd's as the sound still leaks out quite a fair bit (and of course you know bruce likes his shotguns LOUD)
My ear lugs are also rather large, meaning the cups of the cans still sit a little on the ear lug and therefore after 1hr of playing start to ache.
I use my e10's for 6-8hrs constant use at work and never have any aches whatsover.

The only real advantage i think cans have over IEMs is that they slip on alot quicker, so if im doing something that's quick i'll use cans, otherwise IEMs win imo.

Soundwise i find the e10's superior to the aforementioned cans also.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Both IEMs and full size cans have their uses. While traveling or out on the go, I prefer IEMs. At home I prefer speakers first and when I canít use them because of others being around I use my full size cans. While Iíve not tested either of the ones you mention, if you only use headphones in your room then Iíd only be looking for the best full size cans you can afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I'd go with the E10's everytime. I annoy my wife to no end when playing Counter Strike: Source using my superlux hd's as the sound still leaks out quite a fair bit (and of course you know bruce likes his shotguns LOUD)
My ear lugs are also rather large, meaning the cups of the cans still sit a little on the ear lug and therefore after 1hr of playing start to ache.
I use my e10's for 6-8hrs constant use at work and never have any aches whatsover.

The only real advantage i think cans have over IEMs is that they slip on alot quicker, so if im doing something that's quick i'll use cans, otherwise IEMs win imo.

Soundwise i find the e10's superior to the aforementioned cans also.
thankyou for the replies..i had trouble deciding because there are very few superlux reviews available..plus the idea concerning full cans vs iems..mr. brucebanner said e10 has the better sound quality..so that made my mind up..again thank you..

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Full size isolating headphones will make your ears hot with extended use. Full sized open headphones give the best sounstage and are the most comfortable. They aren't good when you need isolation though. I use traditional earbuds, IEMs, and open and closed headphones. They each have their place. Sometimes isolation is great, but other times(such as when walking through traffic intersections) isolation can be dangerous.

Headphones do typically last much longer than IEMs. Some people(including myself) are using their Sony MDR-V6 for more than 20 years.

Full sized closed headphones generally give the best bass. IEMs are best for getting isolation without hot ears. Full sized closed headphones can be nice outdoors in the cold weather though(instead of earmuffs).

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Sometimes isolation is great, but other times(such as when walking through traffic intersections) isolation can be dangerous.
I would argue that this may not be true. I have been listening to walkmans loud with various headphones since i was doing paper rounds as a young lad. I have trained myself to NEVER use sound as a guidance when out and about, be it cycling, walking busy streets or even driving a car. I would place money that those in accidents didn't hear a car and thought it was safe to cross i.e. they relied too heavily on their hearing, could not hear the cars comng (as cars are very quiet these days) and so did not use their eyes, step out and BAM!
The trouble comes when you have people not used to using isolating headphones (or listening loud volumes enough to drown traffic) and not using sight enough.
But i feel VERY safe driving, cycling and walking using isolating IEMs as i have been doing so for years and am solely using sight as a judgement for conditions.
Some might argue the safest is using a combination of sight and hearing when out and about, but what im proposing is perhaps they're wrong, that this is one of those times that using sight and only sight is safer.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 11-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

BruceBanner, we luv you bro - but you are STONE COLD DEEF!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahhh well ears are for listening arn't they, no use to you when yer dead ehhehhehe

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
BruceBanner, we luv you bro - but you are STONE COLD DEEF!!!
He'll have to get a hearing aid by the time he's our age.....lol

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

what?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn!!!! I hope not!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

im 34, how old r u two old farts?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
im 34, how old r u two old farts?
I'm 41....and TDS is older than me....lol

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ach young pups....

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm 45,...and I feel a LOT younger!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's the spirit!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm 41 and I act a lot younger....lol. Mentally, I'm about 25.....physically, a lot more than 25....

Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

im 34 going on 15. My main hobbies are pwning nubs on Counterstrike:Source (i have low self esteem issues). I feel a shame for my 2 and 6 yr old having a teenage dad

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

PFFT!!! I have a 25, 24, 19, and 8 yo. I'm more of a putz than they are. But I can still beat their azzes!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
I would argue that this may not be true. I have been listening to walkmans loud with various headphones since i was doing paper rounds as a young lad. I have trained myself to NEVER use sound as a guidance when out and about, be it cycling, walking busy streets or even driving a car. I would place money that those in accidents didn't hear a car and thought it was safe to cross i.e. they relied too heavily on their hearing, could not hear the cars comng (as cars are very quiet these days) and so did not use their eyes, step out and BAM!
The trouble comes when you have people not used to using isolating headphones (or listening loud volumes enough to drown traffic) and not using sight enough.
But i feel VERY safe driving, cycling and walking using isolating IEMs as i have been doing so for years and am solely using sight as a judgement for conditions.
Some might argue the safest is using a combination of sight and hearing when out and about, but what im proposing is perhaps they're wrong, that this is one of those times that using sight and only sight is safer.
I've been very very shocked how much I use my ears for knowing what is going on around me, I don't depend on it, but when I hear something then I realize it and account for it.

One of the places I noticed that I used my ears more substantially than I ever knew was when I was playing Foosball. We used to do local competitions and I was at the top, one day I decided I would 'get in the zone' and play with my music, boy did that impair me. It cut my skillz down by at least 35%.

And also working on the job, at some points there are at least 8-10 pieces of large machinery moving in all directions around me, having my ears open keeps me alive.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service