android
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Clip+ showing as nearly full on Mac but few files show in Finder

My Clip+ 8GB is nearly full according to Finder. However I only have about 1.5GB of audio books and music on it.

I have tried suggestions of switching to to MTP mode but my Mac does not recognise the Clip+ when I do so. Set to Auto Detect or MSC I see only 1.5GB of files as indicated above.

How do I get rid of whatever is clogging up the memory on the Clip+?

Many thanks,

James.

PS I have seen suggestions for reformatting and assume I will have to use this periodically if no one has an answer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Are you only ever using it on the Mac? If so, just leave it in the mode that the Mac supports. Switching between MTP and MSC mode makes previously loaded files invisible until you switch back.

Are you using the Mac to delete files on the player? If you do a simple delete, it probably relocates the file to a special folder where it can be restored. Obviously that will not free up any space. If that is the issue, you need to figure out how to empty that folder. You can also save that problem by using a true delete. On both Windows and Linux that is <shift><del> but I don't know what it is on the Mac.

HTH

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Try a format from the player menu. Check it does't show anything except the default stuff then reload.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When files are transferred from a Mac to a non-Mac device (like the Clip), the Mac creates and places on the device admin., "ghost" files (not needed on the device)--these files can fill the device up and choke it. Using 3rd-party software to transfer files to the devices can avoid this--I believe one well-regarded software is called Hidden Cleaner, if I recall correctly (Internet freeware).

Also, I've read that one needs to empty a Mac's trash when connected to a Clip, to properly dispose of files.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Default Clip+ deletion using Mac

Thank you for the replies. Apologies for the delay in responding. I have been away all week on business.

The Clip+ is in Automatic mode and has only been used on a Mac. (My PC at work doesn't recognise it but that probably tells you more about my work computer than the Clip+.)

I have always deleted files using the Mac via Finder. I have tried emptying Trash whilst connected but to no effect. Finder shows nearly 7GB on the Clip+ but I can't see where all this memory is in any of the subfolders on the Clip+.

I'll have a look for Hidden Cleaner and see if it works.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I'd format it, put into MSC mode and refill it. If the built in facility doesn't clear the memory there may be problems with the file system. Directions from sandisk on how to fix those are here http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...rrupt-error-on After that put it in MSC mode and make sure it stays there. I'd also be sure to empty the trash while the player is connected and always safely disconnect.

Autodefect is called that for a reason. It should detect which USB mode is appropriate and connect that way but it's known to be broken. As a Mac doesn't have the drivers for MTP connection putting the Clip+ mode in MSC mode just takes away an chance of autodefect being a source of any future problems.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM

I don't seem to get very far with Hidden Cleaner. I open the program and it appears int the dock. It says to drag a device onto Hidden Cleaner to clean and eject it. I have to press OK. Hidden Cleaner then disappears from the dock giving me nowhere to drag the Clip+ to.

My OS is 10.6.8 so maybe that is too up to date for Hidden Cleaner.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Like skip suggested, I'd just format it and then readd the music.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd try reformatting (copy any files you want to save to your computer first) to clean things up, and then perhaps try using Hidden Cleaner with your Mac and Clip--others report that they play well with each other. (But what do I know--just a PC guy here.)

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks for this. I have reformatted and we will see how I do.

Couldn't get Hidden Cleaner to work. It asked me to drag the Clip+ icon to Hidden Cleaner but no jiggling of icons seemed to have an effect. Using Terminal with the dot_clean command seems to work to get rid of ghost files though.