I'm 41....and TDS is older than me....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm 45 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
im 34 ... (
Mon you guys are old farts
We've had this discussion many a time, some can and some can not deal with isolation from external sounds. That said, I'm out an about with total isolation and have been doing it for years but I understand those that need their hearing for guidance. That said, as Syndrome stated your hearing can seriously help you out, especially when you are hunting Furthermore and from previous discussions, Bruce you do listen to tunes way above the norm, hope you do not damage your hearing ...

*BTW Syndrome I didn't know you played Foosball, would love to take you on. While these days I don't get as much play time as before, I can still pass the ball down the field from man to man and score. I never lost my fake shots, angles and passing, well as long as I'm playing on a good table like a Bonzini which allows great ball control. IMO most tables I see or test these days are crap and don't allow your skills to make the difference.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
One of the places I noticed that I used my ears more substantially than I ever knew was when I was playing Foosball. We used to do local competitions and I was at the top, one day I decided I would 'get in the zone' and play with my music, boy did that impair me. It cut my skillz down by at least 35%.

And also working on the job, at some points there are at least 8-10 pieces of large machinery moving in all directions around me, having my ears open keeps me alive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are LOTS of scenarios where hearing is important or necessary, I also play FPS and without sound is not as easy as playing with sound. And then also on work sites etc it may be advantageous, but my point is perhaps the deaf guy is safer walking the streets as he has trained to use his eyes always instead of relying on hearing which can let ppl down.
I wonder what the police statements say when pedestrians have been knocked down? They might say "I didn't see it coming" when infact they mean "I didn't hear it coming, thought it was safe to cross" i.e. got lazy didn't look properly and relied on ears too much instead of proper use of sight.
I dunno tho.. i'm just speculating.