android
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Need an MP3 Android App

I am considering replacing my Cowon J3. It is starting to develop battery problems (I get about 12 hours from it) and it it is annoying that it refuses to recognize most embedded album art.

So I'm probably going to move to a Samsung Galaxy Player. For this I will need an MP3 playing app. (I don't use my phone much and the range of pay-by-the-minute android phones is not that large, so I'm sticking with MP3 players for now.)

Anyway, I generally need only basic features but I do want
-- app will download on a rooted device (I tested some players on a tablet. Songbird refused to download.)
-- app is aware of MP3 tags (a couple are not) and displays album art at large size (although folder browsing too is always nice)
-- app remembers where in the middle of the file I was when I turn the device off--this goes without saying, but you never know with some of the weird apps out there
-- app has fast forward button (essential on podcasts), preferably letting me choose how fast it fast-forwards. vlc can be used as an MP3 player but seems to lack this functionality
-- A way to play all my podcasts in a row. On the J3 I use a script to set the Artist and play all by artist, but doing this by genre would be better (some MP3 apps don't have a way to play all by artist or genre, though I suppose I could set more than one tag)
-- If I just change a couple of files, rescanning must be reasonably fast
-- *Every* player I have tried has a weird bug where a file with no Artist tag but with embedded art causes subsequent files with no Artist tag to also use the same art. It's so common I'm wondering if it's a problem with Android itself (the tablet I used for testing runs 4.0.3). I would rather not see this bug.
-- free, hopefully

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

try out poweramp. it is $5 but there is a free 30 day trial. Very customizable and is my favorite so far. I have used tons of other free apps (google, gonemad, winamp, apollo) and keep going back to poweramp.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp,...as suggested. Excellent app.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Try MortPlayer Music, it's completely free (no trial or pro versions) and it has a lot of options especially if it comes to reading tags and browsing by folders, the best so far (from what i've seen). I've been using it for 2 days now and I like it. The downside of player is a lack of gapeless playback (at least I didn't find such option)

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM

I want to be able to browse by tag, not folder, though being able to do folders as well would be a bonus.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp does tags & folders,...and the equalizer and other settings are excellent.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Actually I suspect that Songbird won't download because I tried it on a tablet that doesn't have Bluetooth. Poweramp wouldn't download either (but I could get it from the Poweramp site).

It seems that anything which uses the stock Android media scanner has a bug with album art. So far the only players I've found with their own scanners are Poweramp and Rockbox and Rockbox hung in the middle of scanning.

Next question: All screenshots I've seen of the Galaxy Player have a "Music" icon on the screen. Is this hardcoded to run the stock player app (thus requiring a second click through Applications before I can run my own) or can this be changed to run my own app?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 PM

powerAMP or ROCKBOX

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Double Twist from Google Play was also mentioned in another forum as being a great app.