android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default More "audiophile" nonsense......

950 euros for this....

and these.....

oh, and then you have to supply an automobile battery and charger to power this "amp".

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm

Sad thing is, there are people out there that will buy this thing.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

LOL! This is the dumbest gimmick I've seen in a long time. I bet it doesn't cost more than 5 bucks to make.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Experience Oneness

Another interesting sonic character of the BYOB amp is that of integrity. The musical performance will reach you undivided and intact -> AS ONE. You will know what I mean when you listen to it.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM

"Good sound is the absence of distortion mechanisms.

As well as happyness is our basic nature and is present as long as deteriorating conditions are absent, a good sound is nothing but the avoidance of distortion mechanisms"

I really don't understand this theory. It assumes every source material ever made was sonically perfect.

I had a friend that in his system had a $1500 preamp with separate power supply, and three knobs, input, volume and balance. It was the most lifeless "high end" system I've heard in my lifetime. (He spent hundreds if not thousands in interconnects too).

Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No thanks, I'll pass, lol......

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe this is the same idiot who created the Altman Tera player: http://www.head-fi.org/t/599685/altmann-tera-player

I was one of the main antagonists in the original thread, and was almost banned. The creator is a biased idiot,...

Feel free to enjoy!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If your trying that hard to enjoy your music more, then holy hell you must not like music at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM

hahahahaha
I love the tags for this thread!
True audiophiles don't love music, they love sound, and I'd imagine anybody who'd buy something like this would be hard pressed to sit through a 4 minute song without tweaking something or changing out the jumper cables.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Gold connector on cable is for show, if you zoom in on the cable you'll note the wire is plain old copper. I prefer cryogenic treatment on all my cables fail!

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
hahahahaha
I love the tags for this thread!
True audiophiles don't love music, they love sound, and I'd imagine anybody who'd buy something like this would be hard pressed to sit through a 4 minute song without tweaking something or changing out the jumper cables.
That is very true they love sound and the romance of sound that high-end gear gives them. They also love music too!

I have had my share of high-end gear. Unlike someone with loads of cash to spend if you don't know how to set your system up your are better off with a sub $1000 system because it will sound about the same. Like a Porsche owner that can barely shift let alone drive.

With that said you have to be high to buy this and yes Gold is a gimmick.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Total damn idiots,...

Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Electrocution for listing to 3-4 minute music?!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 AM

A battery powered amp does makes sense because it eliminates the need for rectifying and filtering the power supply to the amp. The purest the DC is, the less parasitic noise there is, and the best the amp will work. Transforming AC to very pure DC is a challenge.

Audiophiles spend thousands of dollars for "line conditioners", and, believe it or not, many, many hundreds of dollars for power cables, in order to get "clean" AC, so that the built-in power supplies of each devices in their system could supposedly output better DC...supposedly.

Using a large lead-acid battery to power a hifi system is therefore logical... A battery can supply the purest DC by itself, without any rectification or filtering. A battery eliminates a lot of hardware in order to achieve the same results. You can call this a "budget-minded audiophile amp".

The simpler the better, though. Good amps are almost always simple to build and understand. I wouldn't be surprised if this amp sound very clean and transparent, even if there is very little components.

However, there is absolutely no need for gold-plated battery connectors, and when the maker of this amp claims that the piece of wood underneath, as well as the lacquer used on it, has sonic relevance, it's 100% snake oil.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So, you deem this worthy of it's exorbitant price tag then? Especially since it's quite possible to DIY this on your own for a few $$$? Should this be front page FOTM news?

This wasn't a discussion of if this amp works or not, as I see you may or may not make valid points. It's a discussion of the fact that audiofools will create & market anything to get a fast $$$. And I actually mean "label & rip off" each other,... Say "whatever" is audiophile tech and idiots fall out of the woodwork,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 11-22-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: I missed something,... ;)

Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
A battery powered amp does makes sense because it eliminates the need for rectifying and filtering the power supply to the amp. The purest the DC is, the less parasitic noise there is, and the best the amp will work. Transforming AC to very pure DC is a challenge.

Audiophiles spend thousands of dollars for "line conditioners", and, believe it or not, many, many hundreds of dollars for power cables, in order to get "clean" AC, so that the built-in power supplies of each devices in their system could supposedly output better DC...supposedly.

Using a large lead-acid battery to power a hifi system is therefore logical... A battery can supply the purest DC by itself, without any rectification or filtering. A battery eliminates a lot of hardware in order to achieve the same results. You can call this a "budget-minded audiophile amp".

The simpler the better, though. Good amps are almost always simple to build and understand. I wouldn't be surprised if this amp sound very clean and transparent, even if there is very little components.

However, there is absolutely no need for gold-plated battery connectors, and when the maker of this amp claims that the piece of wood underneath, as well as the lacquer used on it, has sonic relevance, it's 100% snake oil.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because pardon me, I am no expert in audio and am probably making a rash statement. Isn't rigging an amplifier to a car battery the same thing as listening to a DAP via it's battery instead of being plugged into AC current?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
This wasn't a discussion of if this amp works or not, as I see you may or may not make valid points. It's a discussion of the fact that audiofools will create & market anything to get a fast $$$. And I actually mean "label & rip off" each other,... Say "whatever" is audiophile tech and idiots fall out of the woodwork,...
So your point is that there are idiots in the world? No kidding?

Whatever would folks do without being alerted to all these audiophile scams? Thanks for the warning....

Old 11-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
So your point is that there are idiots in the world? No kidding?

Whatever would folks do without being alerted to all these audiophile scams? Thanks for the warning....
Thanks for YOUR vote of confidence,... I'm glad to see you've crawled out from under your rock to give me the justification I've always craved!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, because pardon me, I am no expert in audio and am probably making a rash statement. Isn't rigging an amplifier to a car battery the same thing as listening to a DAP via it's battery instead of being plugged into AC current?

Yep. Pretty much it.

It haven't happened to me since a while, probably because I never listen to my Sansa Clip+ when it is recharging, but I remember back in the days, in the times of cassette walkmans and portable CD players, I could often hear a faint, but characteristic 60Hz hum when they were powered with the AC adapter...

It was very faint, mind you, completely disappearing when the music was playing, but there was definitely no such hum when using batteries...

Now, I don't have golden ears. Those who are blessed/cursed with golden ears might be able to hear such hum when there's music playing...

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Yep. Pretty much it.

It haven't happened to me since a while, probably because I never listen to my Sansa Clip+ when it is recharging, but I remember back in the days, in the times of cassette walkmans and portable CD players, I could often hear a faint, but characteristic 60Hz hum when they were powered with the AC adapter...

It was very faint, mind you, completely disappearing when the music was playing, but there was definitely no such hum when using batteries...

Now, I don't have golden ears. Those who are blessed/cursed with golden ears might be able to hear such hum when there's music playing...
Hum from alternating current (AC) can also be due to poor grounding (ground loop), while I can not speak of houses around the world, houses built where I live in the mid 30's to late 50's have/had very poor wiring and grounding.

Prime example; when I first bought my house, my marantz amp produced a small hum which I determined to be poor grounding. An electrician friend of mine and I did a lot of rewiring and bam ... I'll give you 1,000 bucks if you can hear a hum and no batteries required That said it's also possible that amp wiring and manufacturing techniques have improved in the mid to lower end amps to preform much better.

So just because you say you heard a hum from your DAP, doesn't mean that it was from it ... it could have been due to where you plugged it in.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I'll give you 1,000 bucks if you can hear a hum and no batteries required
I agree, but an audiophile will most probably find a way to convince himself that there's hum in your system, because it's not an expensive one.

Tags
altman tera player crap, audiophools, ludicrous, moronic, ridiculous, snake-oil