android
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Default J3 Bugs list

This thread is for anyone who finds bugs with the operation of their J3. This first post's purpose is to help filter out common problems discussed throughout this thread.

1. Scrubbing the timeslider when music is playing tends to freeze up my J3.
-Hitting the reset button on the back restarts your J3 with no data loss but it's an annoying glitch.

2. Removing the J3 without properly disconnecting it will brick your device
-proved this is a false rumor by not properly removing my J3. Still works just fine.
-be aware that some people are having trouble with this while using a MAC.

3. album art doesn't display correctly
-removing the files, tagging them properly, then uploading back to your device will usually solve the problem.
-firmware 2.21 seems to have broken the album art displaying properly in the matrix browser if you add/delete/rearrange your music.
-firmware 2.22 fixed the problem with album art not displaying in the matrix browser.
-firmware 2.24 broke the album art.
-firmware 2.25 fixed the problem.

4. "play all" setting does not appear to work correctly
-(thanks to Anentropik for this clarification) do not go through the menu "music", instead choose your music through "browser", then launch any song and do not forget to set the parameter on "ALL".

5. clock is out of sync.
-this is fixed with firmware 2.21
-some people are still having clock issues. I wouldn't know, I never look at the clock. When I did look at it today: 4/13/11, the time was incorrect. several years, days, hours, and minutes behind.

6. there seems to be a maximum of 40 separate year buckets shown in the Music -> [Years] browse.
-this was caused by firmware 2.25. Revert to the generally stable 2.23 firmware release and wait for another firmware release.

hopefully this list doesn't get much longer...if you find something be sure to post a reply. I will add any and all common problems to this particular post. This will eliminate a long list of isolated incidents. So if you can verify a problem someone is having, be sure to post a reply and I'll add it here.
-this list compiles all common problems talked about through pg.7, if I've overlooked something major message me. Cheers.

Last edited by spectre; 04-13-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM

2. is with high probability nonsense. None of my ~8 Cowon players ever got "bricked" by yanking their cable out. I might get the J3 soon, but I've read the same misleading "bricking" theory about the D2 and S9 as well, and it's just not true. FWIW, I never safely remove any players, and they're all fine.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
...SNIPPED...FWIW, I never safely remove any players, and they're all fine.
Me neither and all my stuff has also never had a problem.

Of course, one should never be a dummy and disconnect a player when you are syncing/doing stuff on the device...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The most trouble comes with those using players other than iPod with macs. The conspiracy theorist in me suggests Apple does this on purpose.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The most trouble comes with those using players other than iPod with macs. The conspiracy theorist in me suggests Apple does this on purpose.
Would a guy that looks like this do that? (actually, I've wondered the same thing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-STEVE-JOBS-large.jpg (12.4 KB, 55 views)

Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
2. is with high probability nonsense. None of my ~8 Cowon players ever got "bricked" by yanking their cable out. I might get the J3 soon, but I've read the same misleading "bricking" theory about the D2 and S9 as well, and it's just not true. FWIW, I never safely remove any players, and they're all fine.
good to know. I'll pull that one from the list. I just put it on there because I've found a few posts here and there about it.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM

I have couple to bugs to report 1 album art sometimes it does not show up I know that its there becuse used Mp3tag to put on.And its not on all song some have the art on the same album.
2 Playlist using Mtp mode you go into the players files to make PLA playlist sometimes they dont set right happens on the really big ones you open them with players and no files so you have to go back delete and start over

Small bugs that i hope the next firmware will fix 8*)

Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james68 View Post
album art sometimes it does not show up I know that its there becuse used Mp3tag to put on.And its not on all song some have the art on the same album.
Had the same problem as well with the album art. Resolved it by deleting the whole album from the j3 and re transfer it back.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Would a guy that looks like this do that? (actually, I've wondered the same thing)

yes yes he would

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james68 View Post
album art sometimes it does not show up I know that its there becuse used Mp3tag to put on.
I've also run into this. I've tagged most of my music with mp3 tag and had good luck fixing the problem.

Re-uploading to my device is successful so far.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 AM

1) The search function in the File Browser occasionally fully freezes up the player (happens at different times, sometime when typing). The player must be restarted with the reset button.

2) The player consistently freezes on many flash applications that don't work. It must be locked (so that the screen turns off) and then unlocked for it to unfreeze.

3) In general, almost no Flash application works properly and the sound often cuts off at some point.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM

not exactly a bug, but when using a bluetooth headset, your battery life is drastically reduced. It would stay @ 100% for a couple of days or more before I switched to bluetooth, now it ends up reducing to 75% after about 8 hours or less.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post
not exactly a bug, but when using a bluetooth headset, your battery life is drastically reduced. It would stay @ 100% for a couple of days or more before I switched to bluetooth, now it ends up reducing to 75% after about 8 hours or less.
Yeah, that must be a carryover from the S9 :/

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Are any of these bugs persisting or just one time things ? cuz i specially hate it when players freeze ....

Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm having a problem with genres. For example, I have an artist that has an ID3 tag with the genre 'Rock', however it and several others aren't appearing on my J3 in the 'Rock' genre. Instead they appear in a completely randomly generated genre called '(17)'. What the hell is this all about? Some of the others aren't working either with random genre names being created by the J3. On my PC in windows explorer and on JetAudio they appear with the correct genre that I've set (eg. 'Rock') but then something happens when I transfer the files over. Anyone able to shed any light on this? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
Are any of these bugs persisting or just one time things ? cuz i specially hate it when players freeze ....
hasn't frozen up on me in a while. I also upgraded the firmware to v2.10

The menu navigation is really fast compared to what it was before.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCwiseguy View Post
Anyone able to shed any light on this?
I have read that the J3 doesn't handle ID3v1 tags well, even when an ID3v2 tag is also present. Stripping the ID3v1 tags has been suggested, so maybe that will help.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM

I have a problem with the clock of J3 is not working properly, it is completely out of sync. I rule once again the happiness just last night and today at 15:30 (3h30pm) the clock reads 11:15 (11h15am)!

I said that I use the time displayed on 24 position and I do not put my J3 in standby but I turn it off completely when I do not use it

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anentropik View Post
I have a problem with the clock of J3 is not working properly, it is completely out of sync. I rule once again the happiness just last night and today at 15:30 (3h30pm) the clock reads 11:15 (11h15am)!

I said that I use the time displayed on 24 position and I do not put my J3 in standby but I turn it off completely when I do not use it
There have been reports of time going out of sync once you upgrade to firmware 2.10. Have you upgraded?

I encountered the same problem after upgrading to firmware 2.10.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Yes I'm using firmware 2.10.
Thank you for the info, I look so wait for the next firmware.

Does anyone know how the problem can be incurred if you put a Korean firmware, or even whether it's worth?

List of firmware for the J3:
http://www.owendia.com/forum/cowon-j...e-du-cowon-j3/