android
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Is my MP3 Toasted?

I wasn't sure where to put this. Anyway to the point. Last night I was listening to my Samsung Galaxy S 5.0 in the bathroom when suddenly my grip on it accidentally loosened and it dropped in to the toilet. After drying it it seemed like it was going to be okay. The screen was find and I started listening to music. Later I put it down. When I came back to it, all it was doing was turning off and on, off and on automatically, never getting farther than the "Samsung" logo and before turning off and on again etc. I went to bed and the next morning I got it on normally but as soon I tried to do anything it went back to the previous problem. In addition, when I hooked it up to my computer, it doesn't recognize it and its drives (H:, I) don't show up on my computer. So, does it look like I just need to buy a new one?

Thanks.

Last edited by b00e0n00; 11-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

thats tough. you might have killed it by turning it on to quickly. in the future when you douse an electronic, remove the battery, disassemble as much as possible, and let it dry in a bowl of rice for a long time. water technically doesn't do the most damage, electrical shorts caused by water as a conductor does.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM

You may get lucky. I fell in the pool with my cellphone in my pocket a couple of years ago. My friend told me to take the battery out immediately, which I did. I left in an a warm place for three days, checking it every day, and on the third day it stared working again. I just use it as my spare phone now, bit it still works.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post
You may get lucky. I fell in the pool with my cellphone in my pocket a couple of years ago. My friend told me to take the battery out immediately, which I did. I left in an a warm place for three days, checking it every day, and on the third day it stared working again. I just use it as my spare phone now, bit it still works.
It seems I might have, as its starting to play music and not turning off. Still for good measure should I wait a few days before using?

IDvsEGO

Good to keep in mind for the future. The one problem is, I'm a technology dolt at times. I have no idea how to open it.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00e0n00 View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this. Anyway to the point. Last night I was listening to my Samsung Galaxy S 5.0 in the bathroom when suddenly my grip on it accidentally loosened and it dropped in to the toilet. After drying it it seemed like it was going to be okay. The screen was find and I started listening to music. Later I put it down. When I came back to it, all it was doing was turning off and on, off and on automatically, never getting farther than the "Samsung" logo and before turning off and on again etc. I went to bed and the next morning I got it on normally but as soon I tried to do anything it went back to the previous problem. In addition, when I hooked it up to my computer, it doesn't recognize it and its drives (H:, I) don't show up on my computer. So, does it look like I just need to buy a new one?

Thanks.
If it ever happens again power it down immediately and resist the urge to try it again for a few days. I did the same thing with my phone a month ago and everything eventually worked with a few minor glitches on the screen. Throw it in a bag of rice and just let it sit around for 3 days. I sold the phone for about $70 and bought a replacement for $150 but it was still usable. I also got caught in a thunderstorm at a soccer match before and it was completely fine the next morning. So don't give up hope yet

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Power off, remove battery (if you can), place in jar of dry rice or silica gel beads. Leave there for 3 or so days,...then give it a try.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank you for helping me save my mp3 player, it works perfectly now!