android
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony's are PERFECT with playlists,...and the sq is excellent.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sandisk Clip+ or Clip zip are good except for the battery life, which is around 12 hours. When you need longer battery life, you could use it with a usb battery pack. These will play while charging via usb battery pack. The $30 Veho pebble XT or $18 Tekkeon mp1580(AA nimh batteries sold separately) look like good choices for a usb battery pack.

Last edited by JK98; 10-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But they still suck with playlists,...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Sandisk Clip+ or Clip zip are good except for the battery life, which is around 12 hours. When you need longer battery life, you could use it with a usb battery pack. These will play while charging via usb battery pack. The $30 Veho pebble XT or $18 Tekkeon mp1580(AA nimh batteries sold separately) look like good choices for a usb battery pack.
Or you could rockbox it and get an extra 2 or more hours and that's free

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 PM

I got my player but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.
I tried changing it to USB mode and the device kept on unmounting itself mid-transfer.
I changed it back to MTP and got most of my songs across via MediaGO (1 song failed), but now I made a playlist and it keeps of failing to transfer with a 0x8004e009 error. However I checked the m3u8 file that mediaGo made and it's only 37.7kb and my device says it has 2.7 gigs free.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

.m3u files are just text files so shouldn't be too large. as far as your transfer issues my guess would be a faulty player.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnatz View Post
I got my player but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.
I tried changing it to USB mode and the device kept on unmounting itself mid-transfer.
I changed it back to MTP and got most of my songs across via MediaGO (1 song failed), but now I made a playlist and it keeps of failing to transfer with a 0x8004e009 error. However I checked the m3u8 file that mediaGo made and it's only 37.7kb and my device says it has 2.7 gigs free.
Download MediaMonkey. I use MediaGo sometimes and get strange error codes. MediaMonkey is much easier & more efficient to use with a Sony.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 AM

Still no luck.

An m3u file is being put on the device now, but MM doesn't pull up a list of songs when I select it, and the device doesn't recognize it as usable.

I've tried both relative and absolute paths

Last edited by Ragnatz; 11-04-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like it might be a defective player,...

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator

All my Sonys are MTP devices at the core. That may have changed with newer models. If it hasn't I'd leave it in MTP.

The newer one you have may be capable of playlists using .m3u8 playlists but all of them I've had would just ignore them during the database refresh. Files added in MTP can be used to create .pla playlist.

As far as I know files loaded in MSC can't be used in the .pla playlist so you'll need to get those off to have playlists. After that drag some files into MM playlist and save it as a Library playlist. When you sync that playlist to the player the files should be copied to the player and a .pla playlist with the same name should be created on the player.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 PM

So, somehow I made my computer (according to Device Manager) seems to think the device needs a WPD FileSystem Volume Driver instead of an MTP USB Device Driver. No matter how many times I try to uninstall the driver or select the other driver type, it keeps going back to WPD. I had Sony Live Chat look at it and they said I need to escalate it to a phone call tomorrow.

Any of you guys know how to make my computer permanently forget the device so I can make it try to install the correct drivers again?

Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Administrator

There's a couple of ways to get your PC to forget the player and have it connect as in MTP again. Here's the set of instructions I followed when I did it the first time. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...6&postcount=20 I do it from the Device Manager but the results are the same.

In an account with administrator rights, open the Device Manager. Open the Universal Serial Bus controllers. You should see a Walkman node. That's not the actual device but a reference to the driver that's installed for that device.
Uninstall that device. Scan for any hardware changes. Your system should see the Walkman as a MTP device and install the MTP driver.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Skip, you are amazing. All this time, Sony and I have been looking at the driver in Portable Devices, not Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Administrator

The members here are the ones that are amazing, it's just stuff I've picked up hanging out here. Plus I've broken my toys often enough to have figured out how to fix them.

If you haven't locked into MediaMonkey I'd like to suggest you take a look at MusicBee. As you've noticed MM can't directly access the nodes of an MTP environment. It also won't work with files once they've been placed on a DAP in MSC.

Topping that off if you have AAC files the free version of MM is limited in what it can do with them. It will tag, organize, make playlists and sync them but it can't play them. You need the paid version for that. I also believe you need QuickTime installed for MediaMonkey AAC playback. I'm not sure about the QuickTime requirement. I know the free version prompts me to install it but the paid version may not need it.

MusicBee does just about everything MediaMonkey does and a lot more. Like MediaMonkey it won't do anything you don't specifically direct to your files so I believe it safe to use the same file location your files are now as your library. If you're doing it right you have those safely back up somewhere anyway. Right?

You said your files might be mp4? MusicBee treats those a video files. If you rename those to .m4a it treats them as music files and things are really simple after that. There's bulk renamers that can do that easily if needed.

After it scans your files and you set your preferences moving files onto and off the player can be done with simple drag and drop. You drag your files from the library to the player and they are transferred to the player. You can create playlists including files from both the player and the library and if the files aren't on the player they get added to complete the playlist.

I don't ordinarily transcode lossy files but if you care to you can setup to auto-convert the files to your preference. Once MB knows your preference whenever you move a file of any type to the player it automatically gets converted to the type you've specified. That's a feature only in the paid version of MM.

There's a lot more that MusicBee can do that what I can type in here. It's freeware (donations accepted!) and has a portable version. A portable installation doesn't give you the Windows folders context menu options but that's the only feature I've found to be different from a full installation.

I've recommended MediaMonkey a lot of times in the past. It's really good software and I won't have problem recommending it again. It's just after experiencing MusicBee I've found that it suits my needs better. I believe the additional features MusicBee has makes it worth looking into.