android
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Help Best IEM's for me?

I have been trying my very hardest for quite a long time now to find an IEM that fits my personal preference. I have found a few that my, but the reviews always differ from site to site and person to person. I would just like to get other people's opinion based on what i specifically want. I would like something that is $70 max (I know, its a tough budget). Preferably balanced armature driven. I only say that because of my music preferences. The music I listen to is about everything. From classical, to screamo, dubstep and even rap. But the absolute biggest thing for me is sound. If possible I would love something that perfectly represents what the artist wants their song to sound like. Which I know is a long shot. But I would like to get as close as possible to that. No crazy thumping bass. But I still want bass to be present. Like I said previously, something that is true to the artists intentions. As for build quality I would like something that will last me a good while. As long as possible. (but doesn't everyone) Also something that doesn't need an amp to run. Again, my budget is $70. Sound quality is most important. Thank you very much for reading my post!

Things I'd like to mention: I am not an expert, if I am incorrect please let me know.
I've looked at the MEElectronics A151-BK's, which seem fine, I am just afraid that they don't have enough bass. and the a161's are out of my budget.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What device (s) will you be using these earphones with?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Trying to get something to sound as close as the artist intended is an impossible ask because, how would you know what they intended? Or what mixing and production intended?

1000 dollar custom iems probably wouldn't do it, but would be more accurate than 70 dollar ones.

Last edited by Jeven; 11-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
What device (s) will you be using these earphones with?
Either a 4th generation ipod, or my phone, which is an Htc One x.
4th generation ipod touch, that is

Last edited by bcd127; 11-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Trying to get something to sound as close as the artist intended is an impossible ask because, how would you know what they intended? Or what mixing and production intended?

1000 dollar custom iems probably wouldn't do it, but would be more accurate than 70 dollar ones.
That's a great point. Would it be easier to say that i don't want any inflated bass, more so just accurate bass, and nice highs, also not too much mid.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Sounds to me like you want the IEM equivalent of a pair of studio monitors. Something that gives a neutral sound signature. Neutral is as close as you'll get to how the artist intended you to hear it.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I picked up some used a161 for $75-80. plenty of bass and I listen to some bass heavy genres. I do have to tweak them for some of the electronic stuff sometimes. and every once in a while I pull out the bass monsters. I had the sony xba1 for a while and I have been told that they are most likely similar to the a151. if that is true, you should be fine with them. I enjoyed the xba1 sound, just hated the cable.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I picked up some used a161 for $75-80. plenty of bass and I listen to some bass heavy genres. I do have to tweak them for some of the electronic stuff sometimes. and every once in a while I pull out the bass monsters. I had the sony xba1 for a while and I have been told that they are most likely similar to the a151. if that is true, you should be fine with them. I enjoyed the xba1 sound, just hated the cable.
Yea, the a161's look nice, i just don't wanna spend that much, I've tried so hard to find them cheaper, but they are just out of my budget, and ill definitely look into the sony xba1's, whats wrong with the cable?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Different drivers

Question, what exactly is the difference between a dynamic driver and a balanced armature diver, pertaining to sound. And do you think they would fit me well, concidering what I listen to. That is everything, classical, rock, screamo, dubstep, orchestral, instramental, rap, everything. I don't want something that is bass heavy, but its gotta be there.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

you dont have to get a BA to get that. dynamic is very capable. one of the most all-around good sets I have used is the soundmagic E10. cheap, great for all around anything and responds well to EQ to tweak the sound signature. read some of the stickies above to get a good overview of your options.

the xba1 has a J cord. meaning one side is longer than the other. this is a pain because of ....well about 1000 reasons. my biggest complaint is that it causes uneven pressure on the ears. if it gets pulled the short side is coming out 100% where on a regular Y cable the pressure would be dispersed and may not come out at all.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
you dont have to get a BA to get that. dynamic is very capable. one of the most all-around good sets I have used is the soundmagic E10. cheap, great for all around anything and responds well to EQ to tweak the sound signature. read some of the stickies above to get a good overview of your options.

the xba1 has a J cord. meaning one side is longer than the other. this is a pain because of ....well about 1000 reasons. my biggest complaint is that it causes uneven pressure on the ears. if it gets pulled the short side is coming out 100% where on a regular Y cable the pressure would be dispersed and may not come out at all.
Oh, okay. I have hear about the E10's, how do they compare to the E30's? Isn't the E30 a step up? And to be honest a j chord sounds stupid...

Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

there is a good review on this board that compares the e10 and e30. basically its more of a difference in sound signature than a step up.

and yes, a J cord is really stupid. calling a J cord stupid is like calling the sun hot.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
there is a good review on this board that compares the e10 and e30. basically its more of a difference in sound signature than a step up.

and yes, a J cord is really stupid. calling a J cord stupid is like calling the sun hot.
Yes, I read it! and i really think i am going for the E30's. they sound exactly like what i want.
and i now see how this, i have never heard of a j chord before!