android
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Help My Clip+ sounds a little to lively(even a lil harsh)

Hello abi community!

I am new to this site and to mp3 players.I just got my sansa clip+ 3 days ago and I was very excited to get my hands on that little thing because of all the positve reviews I kept coming across.I have never had a dedicated music player previously and I needed one very much recently because of my work out routine,being the clip as it is,I didnt look any further and bought it.Now the thing is that I have always used my smart phone as an audio player,my phone is the Galaxy s2 and before that the Xperia arc.I was very pleased and happy with both but s2 was just better,better than anything I have ever listened to and when I read all the reviews about the clip I thought it would as good as the s2 if not better and it.The "Normal" mode on the clip sounds a bit too trebly to me like you know the S's comes out very strongly.I dont know the terms audiophiles use because I am just new to all this but I am growing very fond of nice sound quality and want that that s2 sound on my clip,sorry if it sounds stupid maybe the clip is meant to sound like that and is an ok thing for other people maybe I am not used to it but I will really appreciate it of some one helped me with the 5 band equaliser so that the s2 kinda sound(well balanced,clear not too bright just alright kind of) can be acheived.

Regards.

P.S If any one has already listened to the s2 they will know the kind of sound I am talking about but just note that I never used any presets,it was the normal original sound.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Maybe the different sound you hear is due to listening through different head/earphones? Are you suing the ones that come with the Clip+. While some actually prefer these, they are generally in the minority. Most people upgrade to better ones.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrestige View Post
I was very pleased and happy with both but s2 was just better,better than anything I have ever listened to and when I read all the reviews about the clip I thought it would as good as the s2 if not better and it.
The Clip+ does indeed have excellent sound quality. http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/s...-measured.html.
Quote:
The "Normal" mode on the clip sounds a bit too trebly to me like you know the S's comes out very strongly.
Please lower the rightmost band of the equalizer.
Quote:
I dont know the terms audiophiles use because I am just new to all this but I am growing very fond of nice sound quality and want that that s2 sound on my clip,sorry if it sounds stupid maybe the clip is meant to sound like that and is an ok thing for other people maybe I am not used to it but I will really appreciate it of some one helped me with the 5 band equaliser so that the s2 kinda sound(well balanced,clear not too bright just alright kind of) can be acheived.
When the Clip+ís equalizer is turned off, the Clip+ should sound neutral. Which headphones are you using? Are you comparing the sound quality with the same headphones, same volume, same files, and with no signal processing?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The Clip and S2 both have a nearly flat spectrum, although the S2's amp isn't as good as the clip so with weird headphones you might have some trouble there. What are you listening with?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM

I kinda agree with the OP. The Clip+ is a bit too lively when compared to most players. In the past few days I'm listening to an ipod touch more than before and, since I'm used to the sound of C+, it sounds boring and mushy (the ipod that is). It's because I got used to the sound of the C+.

Either way it's not a fault just different style.

Edit: Also, depending on the head/earphones, most other players tend to extraggarate the lower mids due to their higher output impedance. This is most likely the main reason why the C+ sounds more harsh with most earphones.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I kinda agree with the OP. The Clip+ is a bit too lively when compared to most players. In the past few days I'm listening to an ipod touch more than before and, since I'm used to the sound of C+, it sounds boring and mushy (the ipod that is). It's because I got used to the sound of the C+.

Either way it's not a fault just different style.

Edit: Also, depending on the head/earphones, most other players tend to extraggarate the lower mids due to their higher output impedance. This is most likely the main reason why the C+ sounds more harsh with most earphones.
The sound of MP3 players: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=34.

Test tracks: ---link removed, dfkt killed that link for his reasons, I think it's best we go with his judgement on that---.

Last edited by skip252; 10-20-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: removed links

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The sound of MP3 players: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=34.

Test tracks: ---link removed, dfkt killed that link for his reasons, I think it's best we go with his judgement on that---..
Well honestly I don't know if I'd hear any difference at all with this music Either way I don't know how Hifiman or Cowon sound so I wouldn't know how to spot C+.

It's subtle anyway... Noticeable with something like
(track 2 from this album) but otherwise not a big deal. Just sayin' that when someone is used to warmer sound, the style of C+ may come surprising.

BTW what's that test track? Some kind of soundtrack?

Edit: that embedded youtube wasn't intentional, I just inserted a simple link. Ah well, it's good music so enjoy.

Last edited by skip252; 10-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Administrator

---Sorry, dfkt removed that link and I think it's best we keep it that way.---

Any time you don't want a Youtube video to be a part of your post use a link shortener like bitly https://bitly.com/shorten/

Paste the link that's generated into your post. Then what's seen is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9XttBzn8bY8 instead of the video itself.

The point that's being made is that unless a DAP is somehow defective, one will sound very much like the next. The differences are usually so small they can't be distinguished by your ears. The type of testing dfkt posted along with RMAA results can tell you if there's a difference that can be heard.

Notice I'm qualifying what I'm saying with "usually" and "very much". It may be possible to tell one non-defective player from another but it's unlikely.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Maybe the different sound you hear is due to listening through different head/earphones? Are you suing the ones that come with the Clip+. While some actually prefer these, they are generally in the minority. Most people upgrade to better ones.
Yes I have used the ones which came with clip as well as galaxy s3's earphones that I borrowed from my brother,I may buy better ones later.I the same headphones on clip and s2 to compare sound.

I see,well I guess it comes down to me not being used to the sound of clip.It will get better will time,Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The Clip+ does indeed have excellent sound quality. http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/s...-measured.html.
Please lower the rightmost band of the equalizer.When the Clip+ís equalizer is turned off, the Clip+ should sound neutral. Which headphones are you using? Are you comparing the sound quality with the same headphones, same volume, same files, and with no signal processing?
Yup using the exact same earphones and music files....and thanks reducing the right most band a lil did take away the strong S's ,thanks.

Last edited by skip252; 10-21-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts

Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Get real headphones, then get back to us,...

Old 10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Yup using the exact same earphones and music files....and thanks reducing the right most band a lil did take away the strong S's ,thanks.
But not the same volume? That is rather important if you want to compare devices. Higher volumes naturally sound more bass heavy, lower volumes less so. A little bit of error here can introduce some brightness, but usually its just in your head.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

He's using the IEM's from a SGS III, and the ear buds that came with the clip+. Like I said, get BETTER HP'S. Or this is a wasted thread,...especially since I have both sets the OP has and they're rather crappy sounding.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 10-21-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
He's using the IEM's from a SGS III, and the ear buds that came with the clip+. Like I said, get BETTER HP'S. Or this is a wasted thread,...especially since I have both sets the OP has and they're rather crappy sounding.
Man the thing is I cant afford expensive IEMS,what would you say if I go for JVC air cushion fx66,will I notice any improvement?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Man the thing is I cant afford expensive IEMS,what would you say if I go for JVC air cushion fx66,will I notice any improvement?
Actually you would. But I'd personally recommend THESE to someone on a budget: JVC Riptidz

The SQ your going to get from these cheap little suckers is great.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Thank you everyone and yes problem solved,you guys were right it was the earbuds.I bought JVC air cushion fx66 and they do a better job,they are not anything too special but way better than the stock ones now I am gonna save up and probably buy Klipsch image s4 after a while,heard they are pretty good.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM

The S4's are easy to find locally so I ended up with a pair. They are nothing special IMHO and not worth the price paid. If you want to go the IEM route there are much better alternatives to be found. Maybe something like this.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2012/05/m...ics-a161p-iem/

Tags
clip, galaxy, s2, sansa, sound quality