android
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Clip+/Zip + RB + MicroSD: Do sync'd playlists work well?

Hello:

I'm thinking of getting either a Clip+ or a Zip, and putting Rockbox on it. Before I make the jump, though, I want to make sure it will work the way I think it should. So, looking for opinions/experiences here...

I'm a "sync playlists" user. For small form-factor MP3 players like this, I just want to take a handful of playlists with me on the go. I use WMP for managing my library, and don't really want to change that. I used to have a Fuze, and I had all kinds of problems with microSD card content under this scenario (OEM firmware, not RB). Basically, I could sync a playlist to the SD card through WMP fine the first time, but if I made any changes to the playlist in WMP and then sync'd my changes, the reuslting playlist on the Fuze had only my changes (new songs), but the rest of the playlist was gone. All of the songs were still phyisically on the card, but the playlist itself was f'd up. The only way to resolve this was to erase the card and re-sync the whole list. Internal memory never had this problem.

My hope is that, with Rockbox and the new player, that adding capacity via an SD card is mostly "invisible" from a functionality standpoint. I don't expect to be able to have a sync'd playlist span volumes or anything, but am hoping that syncing playlists via WMP works the same, regardless of whether it resides on internal memory or the card.

Can anyone out there share their experiences in this area?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I can't help you. I don't use WMP or playlists....and I'm not sure anyone here uses WMP.

I wish you luck in your quest for answers though, and welcome to the forum.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator

That won't work at all with WMP. It sends the files but doesn't send the needed .m3u playlist for the files to be a playlist. It's backward that way.

MusicBee does it nicely. If you're accustomed to setting up sync it should be fairly easy. Once you have sync setup your playlists update according to the rules you set. Both the files and the .m3u playlist are transferred or update when you sync.

If you prefer using WMP you can continue to use that and make the save location one you have MusicBee monitor. Fire up MusicBee and if you have automatic sync set, it does the rest. If the files are the same, it just updates the list. If any files are needed MB copies those across to make the list complete.

Using Rockbox, playlists made on the player that include both memories always save with a file path for the external memoryof "<microSD1>". Because of the custom path designation they won't work with external software without the path being corrected. It seemed too much work to go between doing it both ways so I decided to stick with making playlists on the player. Not saying that's better, it just suits me best.

Because I prefer making playlists the way I do I don't have much in the way of details on the best way to set up this type of sync. I've checked that it works and that as long as the playlists are made by MusicBee, WMP or a program that makes standard .m3u playlists. I think if you check into MusicBee it won't take much to get it working.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I read some more threads here on this forum after my original post, and didn't realize that WMP had reached this level of "persona non grata" here.

I don't want to turn this into another deabte about player software, so I'll check out MusicBee, and maybe even use it in the way that skip252 mentioned, having MB monitor the playlist folder. It's been a while since I checked out MediaMonkey - maybe I'll check back on that too.

My main question centered around the buggy behavior that I saw on the Fuze with playlist content sync'd to the SD card as opposed to internal memory, and making sure I won't see that again on the Clip+ or Zip. For me, WMP & syncing with the Fuze's internal memory was perfect: create playlist, add it to the list of sync playlists, and done. I just want that same stability with SD cards on the player as well. I suppose it might have been a WMP issue that I was having, although that seems unlikely since the initial sync of a playlist would work fine.

So, still looking for anyone out there that uses playlists on their PC, and then takes the same ones with them on their Sansa's. Any of you out there? Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what player software you use on the PC side, more looking at it from a "flow" perspective.

FWIW, my reason for doing it this way (playlist-based) is because I also use Media Center around the house (360's + extenders) as my primary way for music listening as well, so that's why the playlists themselves originate on the PC side.

Thanks again...
Rob

Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Administrator

No intent on my part to debate the merits of different software. It's my experience that WMP won't do what it is you want. I gave an alternative that I believe should accomplish the end result you desire. If it doesn't suit your flow it's best to find an alternative.

Which USB transfer mode were you using with the Fuze? MTP, Autodetect or MSC? When I've used Autodetect or MTP I had the results you describe. The original playlist would sync and get buggy after that. That would usually create a .pla playlist and transfer the needed files. Doing that would sometimes over write the contents of other lists.

With MSC I had what I describe. WMP would transfer the files but the needed .m3u playlist wasn't created on the player. Rockbox uses .m3u not .pla playlists. Which is why I described a way to sync using those. There may be a way to configure WMP to transfer .m3u lists but I haven't found it.