android
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Multiple artist tagging for .mp3 files in iAudio 9

Hello. I have a Cowon iAudio 9 (Firmware 1.14). Can anyone please tell me whether it supports multiple artist tagging for .mp3 files.

The following example will explain the issue further. Say I have a .mp3 file with the following ID3 tags.
Code:
Title: My Little Brown Book
Artist: Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
Now, this track is listed under a separate artist, i.e., "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane", and appears in the song listing of neither.

I have tried tagging the 'Artist' field as "Duke Ellington; John Coltrane" from MediaMonkey (v4.0.3.1476), where it shows the track separately under the two artists. However, in the iAudio 9 and other PC media players (e.g., VLC Media Player), the artist is shown as "Duke Ellington/John Coltrane", and not separately. Even Mp3tag could not help much in this regard.

Any help regarding this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San D View Post
... Can anyone please tell me whether it supports multiple artist tagging for .mp3 files.
I don't see why not, as long as you tag the multiple artists in the %artist% field. At least mine does, even have the same player. I tag mine like below but it will not appear under multiple artists.

Code:
%artist% - %album% - $num(%track%,2) - %title%
Quote:
Originally Posted by San D View Post
I have tried tagging the 'Artist' field as "Duke Ellington; John Coltrane" from MediaMonkey (v4.0.3.1476), where it shows the track separately under the two artists. However, in the iAudio 9 and other PC media players (e.g., VLC Media Player), the artist is shown as "Duke Ellington/John Coltrane", and not separately. Even Mp3tag could not help much in this regard.
AFAIK it should not show up separately in two places, mediamonkey is strange that way but on DAPs or other players I have never seen that happen.

Edit: BTW if you were to remove said files from mediamonkey and import them again it should only show up in one place (based on the new tag). This is because mediamonkey does not delete the original logical path and just adds the new listing based on new tag.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-19-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response. The thing is, this kind of tagging would be immensely useful, as one would be able to select one artist and get access to all tracks/albums he/she contributed to. Having a separate artist for a collaboration only clutters up the library imho. Anyway, the world isn't perfect. :-(

Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM

As you know it's not hard to pull by artist, while collaboration would be nice I don't know of any good way to get there. That said, some times I'll ctrl F within fb2k and since I tag collaborators I can pull those files when needed. But AFAIK there's no way to do that on a DAP.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
artist, multiple, multiple artist