android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media > Podcasts & Audiobooks

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Default Suggested software for ripping Audiobooks from CD on Win 7

Hello. I recently acquired a new desktop that is a quad core 64 bit system running Windows 7 Home. I have also recently acquired some new audio books on cd that I would like to listen to while riding long distance (travel out of state fairly often). I plan to mainly use my LG Optimus phone for playback, though I also have a Sansa m240 available as well. I used to use CDEx on my old 32 bit Win XP system, but I don't know if that software (last release early 2009) is going to be very reliable on my 64 bit Win 7 system.

Anyone have some experience ripping audiobook cds on 64 bit systems, what software do you use/recommend?

Since many audiobook cds have anywhere from 99 -300 tracks on them (in my past experience, at least) and separation may or may not have anything to do with chapters (many don't), I generally prefer to rip each cd onto a single track, preferably in mp3 format. In the past I never really found any of the audio databases to be very reliable for audiobook information and since my m240 doesn't display anything but text, I never really concerned myself with hunting down alternate sources for Book covers, track info, etc. I usually just use a separate folder for each book and use "D1 My Audio Book.mp3" format for naming the disc files. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

I'd take a look at fre:ac. http://www.freac.org/index.php/en It comes with everything needed for ripping to mp3. It comes set to rip to V2 mp3 which I'm guessing would be much too high a quality/bitrate setting for audiobooks. You should find that simple to change in the settings. There's even a checkbox that lets you rip a CD to a single file.

Among the many things I like about fre:ac is there's no need to actually install it. The portable version works the same as full installation. There is a snapshot that's optimized for Win7 64 bit. I haven't tried that as the standard version I carry on my USB stick works well on the Win7 machines I've used it on.

Edit:

I had the chance to try CDex on a Win7 64 bit machine and it worked fine. 32 bit software usually runs in a 64 bit environment. All my other music ripping software works on any Windows machine I tried it with.

If you have a long familiarity with CDex you may want to give it a shot on the new machine. fre:ac is super simple to setup but if what you know works reliably, why bother?

Last edited by skip252; 10-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the tip on Fre:ac. I am using it presently, all seems to be going well. I am also using the zip version, as I also prefer to not install software if not needed.

Tags
audiobooks, software, windows 7