android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Please help me choose a DAP suitable for my big hands and failing eyesight

Firstly, hi! This is my first post.

Secondly, apologies to any head-fi.org regulars - I am cross-posting this here in order to garner as many opinions as possible.

So, on to my problem.

1. my current gear:

Sennheiser MM 400-X bluetooth (I use these with my Galaxy S3 when walking / biking).
ATH PRO700MKII (yes, as my nick suggests, I am a bit of a bass-head).
Sony MDR-XB700 (an impulse purchase this weekend - not sure what I think of these yet).
Sansa Clip Zip (Rockboxed).
Fiio E11.

2. my taste in music:

I listen to a lot of Hip Hop, but also plenty more besides. I love vocal stuff such as Joni Mitchell, the Magic Numbers, Sade, Antony and the Johnsons, Janis Joplin etc. I listen to quite a bit of rock and old grunge (think Evanescence, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc.), and also electronica (Eat Static, Orbital, Depeche Mode, Lamb, Nine Inch Nails ...).

3. my problem:

I love the sound of the Sansa, but it's just too small and fiddly. I am a very big guy with huge hands, and to make matters worse my eyesight is failing. It's time I went for glasses I think. Also, I listen when cycling a lot, and I can't be fiddling around with a tiny device like the Clip when on the move. This means I have to use my phone, and although that's not such a problem when on the road (because I can also receive calls via the MM 400-X cans), it can't be my main player as the battery takes too much of a hit (I often listen for up to 8 hours a day). It doesn't sound as good as the Clip anyway. Even when sitting listening at work, I need a good interface. I am a software developer, and user interface design is EXTREMELY important to me. I find Rockbox incredibly frustrating to use in this world of beautiful intuitive touch interfaces.

4. what I'm looking for:

A dedicated audio player with great sound quality (at least equal to the Clip Zip).
I have no need for games, internet or other bells and whistles (Android is OK if it delivers on all other points).
Battery life is a huge factor.
A big enough screen to make it easy to see.
A GREAT user interface, preferably touch. I'm happy to buy apps to improve user experience/SQ.
Space: I prefer Micro SD expandability over internal memory.
Price: I'm prepared to spend some cash, but I don't want to go too mad. I guess roughly around the 100 euro mark.
Bluetooth (Apt-X) would be a bonus, but is not essential.

5. what I'm not looking for:

An iPod Touch - I sold one recently.

I looked on Sennheiser's site for Apt-X compatible devices, and they mentioned the Creative Zen X-Fi3. The Zen range seems to be all but ignored on head-fi. Are they not worth bothering with? Has anyone tried the 3rd iteration?

Thanks for reading, and any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I've never dealt with the Creative Zen X-fi 3 so I don't know much about it. dfkt tested one and was less than impressed with the UI. His opinion is here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=67929

I'd check Youtube for vids of various UI. That's a matter of taste and what I like may not be what you're looking for. In fact, there's a good chance we have different tastes. I don't have any significant issues with the Rockbox UI.

Not much gee whiz! there but I think in of a great UI as the simplest way to start the music rolling. Rockbox allows me to do that so we have different sensibilities in that department. I also don't have much experience with touchscreen players beside the Touch and iPhones (ironic aint it ) so I wouldn't be the best judge.

The Samsung Galaxy players have become popular recently and may be worth checking into. I've heard the Samsung Galaxy 3.6 for a about 15 minutes using my headphones and iTunes files that were ~256 kbps AAC. I didn't find anything wrong with the sound. There was no noticeable hiss or other distortions. I didn't have enough time to really adjust the EQ or other enhancements but the base sound quality seemed to be good the brief time I listened.

My subjective opinion from that short period of time isn't the best basis for a purchase. However after I found some objective test results they backed what my ears told me so I'm fairly sure I didn't miss anything. That has me considering one as my next player.

Once again, there's vids of the UI around. I'd find those to get an idea if think you'll like the UI. I didn't find anything offensive about the interface but felt it could have been improved. The Galaxy players have access to the android market so I'm sure there something more to my taste there.

Last edited by skip252; 10-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi
Thank you, and thank you for the advice

I have been pointed in the direction (by a kindly head-fi member) of the Cowon S9 or J3 because they support font scaling.

I'm off in hunt of reviews now, and I will definitely be checking out YouTube as you suggest!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHeadJim View Post
Thank you, and thank you for the advice

I have been pointed in the direction (by a kindly head-fi member) of the Cowon S9 or J3 because they support font scaling.

I'm off in hunt of reviews now, and I will definitely be checking out YouTube as you suggest!
Here's the review links:
J3 review http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/11/cowon-j3-review/
S9 review http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/12/c...dio-s9-review/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator

If you're looking at getting a J3 you'll want to start on that right away. Since they were discontinued a few months ago the supply has dried up. There's one in the classifieds here. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=70715 I've noticed that it's also listed on Headfi and our sister site iAudiophile so I doubt it will be available for long.

If you do decide on the J3, and are able to get one, you'll want to look at Kizune's UCIs. They are said to add a level of customization and function that isn't available in the standard J3 interface. I don't have a J3 so I'm not speaking from personal experience but I've seen his work highly praised.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Apologies for my mess, I cleaned it up … carry on and welcome to abi

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
big screen, dap, headphones, sq