android
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Looking for a new work DAP.

Hey guys, I'm new to abi, and I am in need of a new MP3 player for work. I currently have an old 16GB ipod nano which I have had since I was a kid. It has served me well, but it's on it's last leg, and I have outgrown it. It doesn't hold enough music, it's sound is not very good, and I just hate itunes after all these years. I've only kept it this long because it's rugged, and stayed together so well.

Here are my preferences:
  • Capacity:At least 32GB, the more the better. A slot for a microSD card would be nice, but it's not needed.
  • Budget: looking to keep it around $200-250, obviously cheaper would be nice.
  • Use:I'm looking to keep it in my pocket and use it during work every day, It's manual labor so it's gonna be knocked around a bit. So nothing fragile or with a big easy to break screen.
  • Type/Design:DAP, just music.
  • Features:Durable is most important, MP3, FLAC, and WAV capability, and I don't want to have to screw with something like itunes anymore
  • Display:I would like a screen (not touch), but not a really big one, Just enough for me to browse my songs with.
  • UI/Controls:No touch screens, if they break if then becomes impossible to use the device, which is not good.
  • Battery life:At least 10 hours, It's gotta survive a whole work day. I don't mind charging it every night if it can survive the day.

I was thinking about the COWON iAUDIO 9+ but I thought it would be best to hear what you guys had to recomend.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

You might wanna check out the Sansa Clip+/Clip Zip, they're pretty cheap and have a card slot for upto 64GB cards. Because you won't be needing a screen to watch videos/pictures and you need a rugged small thing to keep it in your pockets it may suit you. When Rockboxed it will also play FLAC. I'm awaiting some input from Clip+/Clip Zip users on the battery life, but as far as I know when Rockboxed it does give 10-12 hrs of battery life.

The Cowon i9+ does seem a pretty good choice as well, I'll let forum member BruceBanner give you his input on it. i9+ has a touchpad (touch buttons) though, I hope that's not a deal breaker.

Both of these support simple Drag and Drop copying if I recall correctly, so no iTunes headache

Last edited by XTR95; 09-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM

I use a Clip+ at work every day. It is perfect for that environment. I keep it clipped in top of my WorkTunes ear protection (with 1/8" line-in) and it survives the dust, debris, and sweat no problem.
I do cover it with a .99 cent rubber case and keep a small piece of tape over the card slot, just to be safe.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks for your advice, I ended up getting a Clip+. I just got it, and it seems to be what I was looking for so far. I got a case, and a 32GB micro SDHC with it. Thanks guys, my problem seems to be solved as long as it keeps working.