android
Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 AM

Default Apple updates the iPod Touch

It has the A8 SoC and new cameras. It's pretty cheap for those specs. I may buy a 16GB version in gold I can use Play Music on it like I did when I had the iPhone 5.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9443/a...and-new-camera

Last edited by Jeven; 07-16-2015 at 03:46 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post

It has the A8 SoC and new cameras. It's pretty cheap for those specs. I may buy a 16GB version in gold I can use Play Music on it like I did when I had the iPhone 5.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9443/a...and-new-camera

It is unlikely that I would ever consider buying one, unless they decrease the price to under $149, and add a microSDXC card slot. Even at $149 or less and with a micro SDXC card slot, it would still be a difficult choice of whether to buy it or not. At $99 though and with a micro SDXC card slot, I would rush to buy one.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 AM

If it was £250, not £159 for the 16GB version I'd still consider it great value; to get the latest iOs and phone specs (minus cellular and GPS) for that low price is crazily good. And it will remainly technically proficient for some time.

Storage is a waste for me - 16GB is plenty for apps and a few Play Music playlists for offline - all other music I listen to will be via streaming.

Will post pics and a review in due course. Will probably be Thursday, 23rd.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 AM

Why does the 16gb model still exist in 2015? It's funny I think $250 is alot for this even though it's basically an iphone without the phone and those start at $700. But, they are selling a superfluous device. They should probably start at $150 and go up by 50 for 64

Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Why does the 16gb model still exist in 2015? It's funny I think $250 is alot for this even though it's basically an iphone without the phone and those start at $700. But, they are selling a superfluous device. They should probably start at $150 and go up by 50 for 64
Then all DAPs are superfluous as phones exist. I consider this an excellent (and dirt cheap) way of getting the latest iOs version and with great specs to boot. No point in a Sony A15 which costs the same but does far less. You do realise that most people (nearly all) stream music, right? 16GB is ample as I've found on my Meizu.

I want (and have) the latest Android version on decent devices; having the latest iOs on a very capable player for little cost is a boon. iPhone 6 £539, iPod Touch 6 £159 - it's a no-brainer for me. And, like everything else, I need never connect it to a PC.

Last edited by Jeven; 07-16-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The 16 GB model exists because it is 2015. There's people that are stuck on the concept of massive on board storage but most people I know have moved to using the cloud to backup, manage and listen to their music.

Once you get used to the idea it's dead simple. Especially if you use Apple or Google Play Music. The same people I know that had trouble ripping CDs and getting the music on their DAPs have zero issues using the matching services and having anything they owned before or bought online onto their phones and tablets.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

And then, of course, needing a cell connection and paying data charges when out and about and wanting to listen to music, if not stationary in a WiFi location.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
And then, of course, needing a cell connection and paying data charges when out and about and wanting to listen to music, if not stationary in a WiFi location.
Devices with mass storage for music are becoming increasingly irrelevant for many, and of little or no profit to their manufacturers. That's not to say they haven't their uses and adherents; simply that the numbers are so small.

It's really easy with a 16GB iPod Touch - download playlists/albums for offline use, or tether for streaming - either Wi-Fi or a smartphone hotspot (data is fast, unlimited and cheap in many countries.)

Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Devices with mass storage for music are becoming increasingly irrelevant for many, and of little or no profit to their manufacturers. That's not to say they haven't their uses and adherents; simply that the numbers are so small.

It's really easy with a 16GB iPod Touch - download playlists/albums for offline use, or tether for streaming - either Wi-Fi or a smartphone hotspot (data is fast, unlimited and cheap in many countries.)
You've never driven from Chicago to St Louis have you? Good luck getting good cell reception in the middle of nowhere. That applies to a big chunk of the USA that is nothing in between cities. Drives like that is when I need music the most

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
You've never driven from Chicago to St Louis have you? Good luck getting good cell reception in the middle of nowhere. That applies to a big chunk of the USA that is nothing in between cities. Drives like that is when I need music the most
Yeah, but you'd keep 2GB or so offline. I do that on my phones in case the network ever goes down.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"Devices with mass storage for music are becoming increasingly irrelevant for many, and of little or no profit to their manufacturers. That's not to say they haven't their uses and adherents; simply that the numbers are so small."

A device doesn't have to have huge storage though. Having a micro SDXC card slot will satisfy most people, as they can easily add an inexpensive card up to 128GB.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"Devices with mass storage for music are becoming increasingly irrelevant for many, and of little or no profit to their manufacturers. That's not to say they haven't their uses and adherents; simply that the numbers are so small."

A device doesn't have to have huge storage though. Having a micro SDXC card slot will satisfy most people, as they can easily add an inexpensive card up to 128GB.
You're entirely missing the point: most people stream music. Sometimes (oftentimes) you exhibit the solipsism of a child and believe everyone's usage pattern is that of your own. Why even contribute to the thread about a new iPod Touch with all your crap about wanting microSD and a lower price? Do you think Apple will accommodate you soon? (rhetorical)

Last edited by Jeven; 07-17-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You're entirely missing the point: most people stream music. Sometimes (oftentimes) you exhibit the solipsism of a child and believe everyone's usage pattern is that of your own. Why even contribute to the thread about a new iPod Touch with all your crap about wanting microSD and a lower price? Do you think Apple will accommodate you soon? (rhetorical)
TBH you two are both like spambots.
Jeven: Who needs a lot of storage?! I stream everything! Get with the times!
JK98: Hmmm...looks nice, but too expensive! I'll buy it if it ever gets under $7!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
TBH you two are both like spambots.
Jeven: Who needs a lot of storage?! I stream everything! Get with the times!
JK98: Hmmm...looks nice, but too expensive! I'll buy it if it ever gets under $7!
I, at least, have half a brain; and I own a 128, a 64 and a 32Gb card, used on various devices. But this thread is about the new iPod Touch.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but you'd keep 2GB or so offline. I do that on my phones in case the network ever goes down.
Yeah but then you're micro managing all the time. I'd rather plug my SD card into my pc once hit copy on my music folder and paste it onto SD card. With a 64gb card in my phone there is absolutely no reason not too.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah but then you're micro managing all the time. I'd rather plug my SD card into my pc once hit copy on my music folder and paste it onto SD card. With a 64gb card in my phone there is absolutely no reason not too.
Right, I've got a 128GB card in my phone, but still prefer to stream, especially outdoors. In the house is where I'm more likely to listen to an album I have stored locally on my Shuffle or smartwatch.There's a great deal of music out there which I don't own but can listen to, (or download on the go) - 20 million tracks or so - and I prefer a music app with curated playlists, suggested new releases, decent algorithms - anything I could possibly want to hear etc - 91GB of that card is 4K video, around 2GB Play Music playlists. But I'm never away from wi-fi or 4G. I only put some music there in case. And I need have just one music app.

With 16GB on the new iPod Touch, I'd only want around 2GB of music - if that, for when I'm outside someplace beyond the reach of wi-fi or the hotspot of a phone. I can understand how some people like iTunes and would want the 32 or 128GB option for local storage, but not me.

Last edited by Jeven; 07-17-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The people I know don't stream music. They buy music on CD. Perhaps in Europe things are different than in the US. I guess those who are younger are also more likely to stream music, or buy their music over the net, while older people(40+?) mostly tend to buy their music on CD.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Right, I've got a 128GB card in my phone, but still prefer to stream, especially outdoors. In the house is where I'm more likely to listen to an album I have stored locally on my Shuffle or smartwatch.There's a great deal of music out there which I don't own but can listen to, (or download on the go) - 20 million tracks or so - and I prefer a music app with curated playlists, suggested new releases, decent algorithms - anything I could possibly want to hear etc - 91GB of that card is 4K video, around 2GB Play Music playlists. But I'm never away from wi-fi or 4G. I only put some music there in case. And I need have just one music app.

With 16GB on the new iPod Touch, I'd only want around 2GB of music - if that, for when I'm outside someplace beyond the reach of wi-fi or the hotspot of a phone. I can understand how some people like iTunes and would want the 32 or 128GB option for local storage, but not me.
I'm usually never away from wifi or 4g either doesn't mean i want to take the chance that i am. The part about discovery is a fair point though. That is pretty cool. My music tastes have become pretty stagnant lately. But, if only listening at home why not just hook up some good speakers to your pc instead of using a portable audio player. You don't really need the portable part. I'd rather have my collection stashed on my phone and use spotify or google play only for discovery. If i hear something i like on one of those services ill screenshot it and download it later.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't use a smartphone for music. But with data caps on non-unlimited data plans, it just seems to me that playing music for significant time each day could get pricey (if away from a free WiFi source). But, as I said, I'm likely not the target audience, given that reason (if my assumptions as to the data usage and resulting costs are correct).

Old 07-18-2015, 03:34 AM

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The people I know don't stream music. They buy music on CD. Perhaps in Europe things are different than in the US. I guess those who are younger are also more likely to stream music, or buy their music over the net, while older people(40+?) mostly tend to buy their music on CD.
People aren't buying CDs anymore, either, - or at least not in meaningful numbers. Those who buy music online are also in a downward spiral; few see the point. And I don't think there is a regional or age factor when it comes to streaming. There are 2 billion smartphones out there in use, 4 billion by 2020 - the highest selling device in existence, ever. And a fair number of them use streaming services. (The iPod Touch, along with a few other players and chromebooks/PCs/tablets et al. are amongst the non-phone devices which can stream music).

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-sm...history-2015-2

iPod Touch teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod...Teardown/44378

Last edited by Jeven; 07-18-2015 at 04:15 AM.

Closed Thread