android
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default MP3 Conversion

Ok, so I need some help in converting MP3 files to either WAV or FLAC, I'm having a little trouble retaining the tags on either approaches.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start with the questioning of why, all will become apparent in due course, but for now just treat it as a hypothetical if you will.

Imagine you have a mixture of MP3 files, some 320kbps, some as low as 128kbps, you need to convert them to FLAC or WAV, whilst at the same time trying to retain the best quality from that conversion process.

You then plan to use PC software such as winamp to organise said FLAC/WAVs, only you discover that tags such as Genre are missing (curiously through Tag&Rename they are seen clearly, no tags appear missing at all).

Has anyone done anything like this with a good degree of success?

Please outline any processes you have experienced.

PS I prefer foobar solutions but not mandatory.

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Administrator

fb2k will retain the tags. When you're in the converter Converter setup dialog box check "Transfer metadata (tags)" under "Other". There's several other options there you may want to add. I use it to move the other files I want included in the folders of the converted files.

It's also possible to build a directory structure during the conversion process. Open the Destination menu of the Converter setup dialog box. There you can use the settings inside menu that opens when you click "..." in the the Output style and file name formatting menu. When you come back to the Destination menu you can preview the how your folder structure and naming will be inr the Preview window.

MusicBee will also do pretty much the same. The steps are somewhat different but similar enough that once you've set up one it's fairly easy to do the other.

And yeah, it's a really bad idea. I won't do any lecturing except to say don't be surprised if you see fb2k throw error messages about the qualities of the FLAC files you get after converting your mp3s. Especially if you've applied Replaygain values to them like you said you have in the past.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
fb2k will retain the tags. When you're in the converter Converter setup dialog box check "Transfer metadata (tags)" under "Other". There's several other options there you may want to add. I use it to move the other files I want included in the folders of the converted files.

It's also possible to build a directory structure during the conversion process. Open the Destination menu of the Converter setup dialog box. There you can use the settings inside menu that opens when you click "..." in the the Output style and file name formatting menu. When you come back to the Destination menu you can preview the how your folder structure and naming will be inr the Preview window.

MusicBee will also do pretty much the same. The steps are somewhat different but similar enough that once you've set up one it's fairly easy to do the other.

And yeah, it's a really bad idea. I won't do any lecturing except to say don't be surprised if you see fb2k throw error messages about the qualities of the FLAC files you get after converting your mp3s. Especially if you've applied Replaygain values to them like you said you have in the past.
Thanks for yer input skip. Of 3800+ tracks converted I have had less than 40 errors acceptable margin of error.
I was wise enough to have done everything you had said above already with foobar (before this post), thing is winamp still fails to see 'Genre' tag both as WAV and FLAC conversion. But like i said Tag&Rename sees them...
Is it Winamp being rubbish just or...?

Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Tags on wav files aren't really standard so software may not recognize them at all. I'd be surprised if it didn't understand flac tags though.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes from what I had read FLAC files tag better, I did the same foobar conversion with FLAC but winamp still didn't show genre :S

I'll keep stabbing at it..

EDIT: I think I was behind in my version of foobar, this latest test conversion involving FLAC seemed to work, Genre tags were there whereas before they were not.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-03-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I still get this message when converting my MP3 collection to FLAC (in foobar), curiously I don't get this popup message when converting to WAV, what gives? Anything to be concerned about?

Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I still get this message when converting my MP3 collection to FLAC (in foobar), curiously I don't get this popup message when converting to WAV, what gives?
I am assuming the developer or developers of foobar2000 have assumed there will be relatively few individuals who will convert from MP3 to WAV. And yes, it makes even less sense, generally, to convert from MP3 to WAV than from MP3 to FLAC, which also, generally, is a very foolish thing to do.
Quote:
Anything to be concerned about?
As long as you understand the warning, no.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM

The software is basically telling you that you're doing something wrong.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wait... no I think u slightly both misunderstand.

MP3>WAV = no warning like this

MP3>FLAC = this warning

Most definitely not going MP3>WAV>FLAC or MP3>FLAC>WAV.

I just found it odd that it spouted this message only when doing FLAC and not WAV as well, seeing both are lossless.

FYI It's a compatibility issue, in good time MP3 files will be replaced with proper FLAC/WAV, but for now I'm just comparing (CD rips to WAV vs MP3 320kbps > WAV), do u think you could tell the difference? Hmmmm...

Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Wait... no I think u slightly both misunderstand.

MP3>WAV = no warning like this

MP3>FLAC = this warning

Most definitely not going MP3>WAV>FLAC or MP3>FLAC>WAV.

I just found it odd that it spouted this message only when doing FLAC and not WAV as well, seeing both are lossless.
The developers probably just forgot. Relatively few individuals are going to convert from MP3 to WAV anyway. So even if it is on their list of things to do, it is probably assigned a very low priority.
Quote:
FYI It's a compatibility issue, in good time MP3 files will be replaced with proper FLAC/WAV, but for now I'm just comparing (CD rips to WAV vs MP3 320kbps > WAV), do u think you could tell the difference? Hmmmm...
If you are using foobar2000’s ABX comparator, you do not have to convert your MP3s to FLACs or WAVs. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68675.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
FYI It's a compatibility issue, in good time MP3 files will be replaced with proper FLAC/WAV, but for now I'm just comparing (CD rips to WAV vs MP3 320kbps > WAV)
Phew. For a second I thought you had purchased the PMP which doesn't support mp3 at all.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The developers probably just forgot. Relatively few individuals are going to convert from MP3 to WAV anyway. So even if it is on their list of things to do, it is probably assigned a very low priority.If you are using foobar2000’s ABX comparator, you do not have to convert your MP3s to FLACs or WAVs. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68675.
Nah I'm not using ABX comparator, thanks for the heads up tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
Phew. For a second I thought you had purchased the PMP which doesn't support mp3 at all.
Yer not far off the mark! :P

Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"The developers probably just forgot."

Some people still have old cars, old boomboxes, or other old hardware with a CD player that doesn't support mp3 playback, so converting mp3 files to WAV files is understandable at times.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yer not far off the mark! :P
Now you have my curiosity piqued...What sort of media player these days (short of "The PMP" el maco referenced, of course) will handle FLAC and WAV but not MP3s?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Now you have my curiosity piqued...What sort of media player these days (short of "The PMP" el maco referenced, of course) will handle FLAC and WAV but not MP3s?
This one. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/posts/.../thread/733349

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
What sort of media player these days (short of "The PMP" el maco referenced, of course) will handle FLAC and WAV but not MP3s?
I do not think that Tera Player Light supports FLAC—only WAV—because FLACs “cripple” music.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Huh. Okay, my next question is the one you didn't want to answer (the "why?" one), so I suppose I'll just move on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I do not think that Tera Player Light supports FLAC—only WAV—because FLACs “cripple” music.
Oops. Of course you're on point. I don't know where my head was... Bruce, avoid FLACs at all costs; they'll destroy your WAV recordings in unbelievable and imaginary ways.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Oh Skip! The cat's outta the bag now! Full review to come, and I think many of you maybe shocked at my conclusion...

Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 PM

Converting to wav makes sense. Flac does not.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Flac holds tags better tho, WAV does not. I will do some testing, see if I can hear any audible difference from 320kbps>WAV vs 320kbps>FLAC