android
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Looking for memory, sound quality and battery life

Hey everybody,

First of all, thanks for all the advise I've been finding here over the past years. It helped me pick some great players, but now that I'm looking for a new replacement and choices seem to get more limited, I'd like to ask you for some tailored advice.

My current player, a Philips GoGear Ariaz, sadly passed away. Now I'm looking for a new DAP. Important to me are: storage capacity (16GB is the minimum), sound quality and battery life. My budget is about 100 EUR (125 USD), but I'm willing to spend more if necessary. I use my player extensively and it would be nice to have enough options with regard to making playlists (preferably on the go as well) and listening to albums in the right order. I live in the Netherlands and can't find too many options that are available online.

From what I've read here, the Sandisks seem to be good options (with expanded memory). The ones available in my country are the Sandisk Clip + and the Clip Sports. They both seem to have their downsides: the short battery life on the Clip + and the troubles with track ID on the Clip Sports.

Other options available online here are for example the Sony NWZ-585 (16GB, not expandable) or the Cowon iAudio 9+ (16GB, not expandable, has touch screen, which is not my preference).

So to me it seems I'm going to have to compromise on either battery life, memory, or user friendliness. Is this conclusion right, or are there other options for me? Thanks for any comments!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to compromise somewhere. Another idea if you want long battery life is to increase your budget and get a Cowon M2 which has 90 hours of battery life.

The Sandisk Clip+ is great when used with Rockbox. Rockbox is a free alternative firmware(operating system) that has great features, especially when it comes to playlists.I prefer the Rockboxed Clip Zip to a Rockboxed Clip+, as the Clip Zip has a larger screen. I also have the Clip Sport. There is no Rockbox for the Clip Sport, and card memory is separate from internal memory, so you can't have playlists using both. It also has a file limit of 2,000 for card memory, and 2,000 for internal memory.
Some buy a 4GB Clip Sport, and have all their songs on card memory, but then they run into the 2,000 song limit.

Since you like using playlists, and want to have many songs on the player, I don't recommend the Clip Sport. The Clip+ or Clip Zip seems much better suited for you.
Some get two of these, or an external USB battery pack to use with it to solve the problem of short battery life. With Rockbox installed the Clip+ and Clip Zip are great, except for battery life.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Ok, thanks for the tips. All things considered, I suppose I'll go for a Sandisk then. I found a Clip Zip for about 70 EUR and a Clip + for about 40 EUR. Are there any significant differences between the two, for example in battery life or track limitations/possibilitiy to use stock and added memory in playlists?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF View Post
Ok, thanks for the tips. All things considered, I suppose I'll go for a Sandisk then. I found a Clip Zip for about 70 EUR and a Clip + for about 40 EUR. Are there any significant differences between the two, for example in battery life or track limitations/possibilitiy to use stock and added memory in playlists?
Wow, 70 EUR seems very expensive to me. If you use ebay I would think you could find a cheaper one, shipping included. I posted some in this thread here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74171
I would be willing to buy you one and post it on ebay at cost if that would work for you. Of course I don't know how much ebay's international shipping service would cost, but surely the total cost would be far below 70 EUR. You'd have to wait a few weeks to receive it though. Worth a thought.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clip Zip is just slightly better than the Clip+ when using Rockbox due to its larger screen. Since there is such a large price difference, I suggest getting the Clip+. When using Rockbox these are essentially the same, except that the Clip Zip displays more entries at a time when looking at lists, and the Clip Zip can display more on the now playing screen. What is displayed and how it is displayed depends on which Rockbox theme you use. Of course the themes for the Clip+ and Clip Zip are different. Since the Clip Zip display is color and larger it can display album art if you choose a theme that displays it. The Clip+ can't display album art. The Rockbox theme I chose for the Clip Zip
doesn't display album art. The Clip+ has a mini usb connector, while the connector on the Clip zip is micro USB. Battery life is essentially the same. So is sound quality.

I might be willing to pay up to $10 more for the Clip Zip than the Clip+, but that is it. I am still using both.

PS. If you get the Clip+, make sure the one you get says SanDisk on the front of it. The ones that say Sansa are old, and battery capacity may be impaired from age, even it has never been used.

Last edited by JK98; 10-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Allright, since I couldn't wait too long, I ordered the Clip + yesterday. But thanks for the offer, dawningistheday! And thanks for the additional tips, JK. I got one with SanDisk on the front.

It arrived today, and it seems to be everything I need. Not too convinced about the sound quality yet, but I'll give it a better listening and look at installing Rockbox to tweek the EQ a bit more. Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF View Post
Allright, since I couldn't wait too long, I ordered the Clip + yesterday. But thanks for the offer, dawningistheday! And thanks for the additional tips, JK. I got one with SanDisk on the front.

It arrived today, and it seems to be everything I need. Not too convinced about the sound quality yet, but I'll give it a better listening and look at installing Rockbox to tweek the EQ a bit more. Thanks again!
The equilizer in the original firmware messes up the sound. I suggest not using it. The equilizer in Rockbox works well though.