android
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Help Searching for a podcast + mp3 player to replace Zune

Well... this seems like the best place to ask.

I have a 32gig ZuneHD. It was a replacement to my first mp3 player, a Creative Zen. 32gig seemed like a lot of space back then. But now my music collection is closer to 40gig, and I tend to have 1 gig of podcast episodes to get through.

• Location: Ireland (but I can have it shipped to a US address if needed)
  • Capacity: At least 40GB. MicroSD expansion should be fine.
  • Budget: I don't want to spend hundreds. 150 ($200) is what I would be comfortable with, but I'd rather spend less. If it has everything I need, I could spend more.
  • Use: Listening to mp3s. Self-organising podcasts (Zune spoiled me with this). Mostly, I want it for day-to-day commutes and the ability to keep battery on a long-haul flight.
  • Type/Design: DAP.
  • Features: OTG playlists (so it's not an ipod), podcast syncing from PC (or wireless).
  • Battery life: At least 20 hours playback.

I don't want to switch my smartphone into a media center too; I prefer to have both.

I'm not a big audiophile. While I can tell the difference between a 96kb and 192kb mp3, or $2 earbuds and $25 Sennheiser, I probably won't notice the improvements of listening to FLACs and I don't live over-ear headphones.

The Sansa Clip+ and Fuze are the most viable options I've seen (as well as the cheap Fiio) but I haven't heard anything about their ability to manage podcasts or enqueue songs.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderkleet View Post
Well... this seems like the best place to ask.

I have a 32gig ZuneHD. It was a replacement to my first mp3 player, a Creative Zen. 32gig seemed like a lot of space back then. But now my music collection is closer to 40gig, and I tend to have 1 gig of podcast episodes to get through.

• Location: Ireland (but I can have it shipped to a US address if needed)
  • Capacity: At least 40GB. MicroSD expansion should be fine.
  • Budget: I don't want to spend hundreds. 150 ($200) is what I would be comfortable with, but I'd rather spend less. If it has everything I need, I could spend more.
  • Use: Listening to mp3s. Self-organising podcasts (Zune spoiled me with this). Mostly, I want it for day-to-day commutes and the ability to keep battery on a long-haul flight.
  • Type/Design: DAP.
  • Features: OTG playlists (so it's not an ipod), podcast syncing from PC (or wireless).
  • Battery life: At least 20 hours playback.

I don't want to switch my smartphone into a media center too; I prefer to have both.

I'm not a big audiophile. While I can tell the difference between a 96kb and 192kb mp3, or $2 earbuds and $25 Sennheiser, I probably won't notice the improvements of listening to FLACs and I don't live over-ear headphones.

The Sansa Clip+ and Fuze are the most viable options I've seen (as well as the cheap Fiio) but I haven't heard anything about their ability to manage podcasts or enqueue songs.

The Clip+ or Clip Zip has great flexibility with Rockbox installed. Rockbox is a free alternative firmware(operating system) for the player. Unfortunately these get only around 15 hours or so of battery life, so for longer play time you would need an external usb battery pack. Some of these are quite small though, and inexpensive. The newer Clip Sport gets 25 hours, however it is limited to 2,000 songs on internal memory, and 2,000 songs on card memory. There is no Rockbox for it. It has very limited features.

For extra long battery life(listed as 90 hours), you could get the Cowon M2.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ayer_32gb.html