android
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Red face Need help with home surround audio :(

I hope this is the right section to be posting this

Anyways I needed some help finding some budget home surround sound maybe under $550?

Right now the ones we currently have are HORRID, got them at the local best buy and the guy suggested some sony speakers and man...these things are a pain bad to listen too. The bass overpowers everything and is just sounds nasty.

I do like bass, but I don't want it to be the only thing I hear

Sorry I'm not very good at explaining this :\, I guess I'm just looking for something like good clean bass that's deep but doesn't distort and still be able to hear music or watch movies and hear everything else pretty clear.

Also does it matter which speaker wires I use? I had someone try n sell me some monster wires, but decided not to because of what I've been hearing about them being over priced..

I'd mainly be using the speakers for Music,Movies/T.V

Any help would definitely be appreciated a lot and save me from buying something I"m probably going to regret buying

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Redneck Moderator

If I was in a price range I would get a 5.1 receiver and some polk speakers. Polk makes pretty good stuff on the cheap, you can sometimes pick up a set of tower speakers for the front for around $200, then 60 for the rears and a center. A 8" or 10" ported 100 watt subwoofer should do fine if you have a smaller room.

You don't want to get one of those home theater systems that are in a box, they limit your upgrading options and they don't sound as good.

As for speaker wire, I just use cheap 12 or 14 gauge copper wire. I got it from monoprice or partexpress. Speaker wireswont change the sound of your system, spending any extra on them is just a waste of money. Though I will suggest getting some banana plugs(if your receiver can use them) and putting them on your cables, those are VERY handy.

I haven't tested any of the products I've linked to above, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you can get. This isn't going to be a system that will blow your buddies minds, and it certainly wont blow the ladies panties off either. But it will get you in the right direction and you will have a much better idea of what you want if you do want to upgrade.

I personally only use 4.1 for my surround. But my receiver and front speakers + sub were about $1,000. I've got some Wharfedale Evo2-10's up front and my amp is a Marantz NR1402. My subwoofer is a TruAudio 8" that I picked up on craigslist for 20$. It performs pretty good. My rears are just cheap teac speakers that I stole off of an old boom box. You don't need anything special for the rears.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Last edited by Syndrome; 09-28-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM

I think that might be over my budget though :\

I'd love to have something like that though :'(

Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Redneck Moderator

If you get that denon and all polk speakers your looking at 500-600 usd. Which isn't much over your original budget. Note that the prices I posted are the first ones I found. I didn't do any deal hunting, I've had to many drinks tonight for that.

The most important thing is get a real receiver and some good front speakers and sub. For the rears you can go cheap. And when your listening to music you only use the fronts and sub anyways.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service