android
Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Cowon D2

Has anyone else checked it out yet? I'm presuming they're gonna release it at the CES. Thing looks like it's gonna make some of the bigger name MP3 brands shake in their boots. Support for almost every file type, plus it's a touch lcd screen, something new and rather innovative based on what I've seen so far. Only quirk is if it's accurate in use and can it be used without their little triangular stylus. Otherwise, everything looks pretty darn good. Nice bright screen, small size, and the battery life -- man 52 hours is freaking ridiculous. What I'm wondering is how they can manage that with a touch screen? And if they can, then why the heck don't other mp3 player brands use this battery technology to extend their battery lives?

Anyways, for those who haven't seen it yet: http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/p...D2_feature.php

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM

If you're interested, there's a small preview on our main page: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...oming-soon.php

It definitely will be one nice piece of gadgetry.

BTW: I think the 52 hours is only for audio, when the screen is off... video playback time should be around 10-14 hours, IIRC.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM

interesting, never noticed that before :P thanks. So anybody know when it's hitting the states markets? I know on their korean site they sell for about 220 us dollars, the 2gb version through an online currency converter? Kinda pricey but for the features and the design, it seems worth it. Plus, a 2gb SD card can probably be bought for less than the increase for a 4gb version if there will be one. I'm hoping it hits the US before my birthday next month...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems like this player blows away all the competition...

A certain iaudio audiophile web page has a few videos of the player in use, and i'm suprised to see how well everything works. Nothing seems slowed down, even loading SD cards is fast. 2gb SD cards are cheap, everyone has them, so you can easily just cary a buncha SD cards for all the stuff you only use rarely. Somthing that I would have wanted to do with my e200, but due to the slow loading, and ability to only read music off the MMC cards I never even botherd...

Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
A certain iaudio audiophile web page has a few videos of the player in use...
Hehe...

http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.259
http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.260
http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.262

Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
ABI Founder

I got a chance to demo the D2 at CES. The touch interface is very simple and intuitive and the whole GUI very quick and fluid. The sound quality on all the iAudio gear is top notch, so i am excited about this one. I have yet to have an iAudio flash player let me down.

Also the player put out 74mW per channel. This may not be a big deal to most people, but if you are trying to drive some heavy duty headphones, you can with 74mW. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and they cannot be driven with almost all MP3 player. They require a headphone amp. Now the only MP3 player that came close, and was fairly acceptable driving the HD650s was the iAudio 6, and that was still only 30mW! This is a player i am definitely going to pick up.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 01-09-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 AM

I've seen a few people with a D2 here in Seoul, S. Korea. The 2 GB D2 model are being sold at various retail and online stores. The sound quality on the D2 is the best I've ever heard, makes my Sansa sound like a cheap toy. I'll wait for the 4 GB+ model. I'll probably sell my Sansa e280 or keep it as a backup. Now if only the US dollar could gain more against the Korean won.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/165095786.png

Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Question

Just one question: does the touch-screen work fine without the stylus? If so Im most likely getting this. (take that clix2! 8GBs has nothin over infinite expansion!) Also, to anyone in Korea, Roughly how many USD is the 2GB version?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
ABI Founder

Saratos- yes it works great with out the stylus... as far as price... they plan on brining it to the US but have not stated a price

Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM

EnzoTen, would you say it's about the size of a credit card (not as thin, of course)? I sort of like this, but as you can see from my signature, I'm a fan of small players.

Nevermind, I watched a demo at CNet. It's small enough. The 2gb is quoted at $199. But, there should be a 4gb in 1-2 months. I think this will be my next PMP!

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Last edited by Mp3UndergroundFan; 01-15-2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I did my homework!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
ABI Founder

hmmm... maybe add half an inch to a deck of cards... about that size...

I have a video of it from CES but the video looks like crap... maybe ill put it online anyway.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Here you see the SD slot, and a standard SD card for size comparison...

Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 PM

Thank you both!

EnzoTen, why not put your video online, too!

I never gave the iriver Clix much thought but this Cowon D2 speaks to me. *swoon*

Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 PM

this is the first player since the X5L i've been excited for. maybe Cowon should release a successor to the X5. it's a relatively new idea, i know, but it could work....

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Here's a link to that cnet video...I thought I'd post it since there's not much online about this pmp yet...enzo I'd like to see that vid...who cares about the quality...it be nice to see it..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9676412-5.html

Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM

I just got an email from jetmall.net (I must've signed up for the Cowon newsletter). It says the D2 will be available Jan. 16, 2007. That's today!!! I don't see capacity indicated. I'm assuming it's the 2 gig.

Here's the link to the Cowon America site: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2/

Old 01-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin_Amigo14 View Post
this is the first player since the X5L i've been excited for. maybe Cowon should release a successor to the X5. it's a relatively new idea, i know, but it could work....
Same for me... the D2 is the nicest thing since the X5.

Cowon is working on a successor to the X5, but it's all rather secret, still. Let's wait and see... the new A3 seems to be rather promising, I hope the best for the 'new' X5.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Same for me... the D2 is the nicest thing since the X5.

Cowon is working on a successor to the X5, but it's all rather secret, still. Let's wait and see... the new A3 seems to be rather promising, I hope the best for the 'new' X5.
I wonder which way they will go with the X5. More audio player or media player -ish? I hope they don't change too (too) much.

The D2 is cool, I'll admit. It seems like it would have been better with at least 20 Gb and not just 4 Gb though.

Wonder what problems a touch screen would create?

Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja View Post
Wonder what problems a touch screen would create?
Fingerprints. Hence, the stylus.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3UndergroundFan View Post
Fingerprints. Hence, the stylus.
I meant more wear and tear.