android
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Getting the discontinued Cowon X7

I was about to get the cowon X7 mp3 player but I discovered that it has been discontinued everywhere. I checked it a few months ago and it was still available.
The Cowon X7 had everything I needed. Good sound and lots of storage. So now my question is what I can get as a replacement for the X7.
I have found the X7 120GB on ebay that I am considering but I do not want to jump on it yet.
I thought about getting the Cowon D2+ and then putting a 128GB SD card in it. I know that it is not economical but I would not that more expensive. (Because of customs when buying from ebay).
Or if anyone knows about an mp3 player that has as good sound as the X7 and the same space? That is really the only thing I care about.

Thanks for the help.

Porhati

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porhati View Post
I thought about getting the Cowon D2+ and then putting a 128GB SD card in it.
Having done exactly this, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get 128gb of storage, but file limits will render most of it useless, unless you run rockbox, and navigation is pretty painful in both the original firmware and rockbox (imo).

I'd also be leery of buying an X7 from anyone but amazon, as it seemed to me to be somewhat problematic for people straight out of the box.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the tip.
Buying the X7 from amazon will not happen since they won`t send it to Norway. (no idea why). Otherwise it would not be a problem.

So then the only option is to find something else. Have anything to recommend?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Looks like there's nothing much out there. Just take a look at the 2012 player product comparisons, and almost every one of the models wasn't initially relased until a few years ago.
http://mp3-players.toptenreviews.com/hard-drive/
Unless you want to couple a flashed based player with a memory card, it looks like your choices are limited to Apple and Archos.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the help.
What is the sound on the Archos 7 like compared to the X7?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 AM

why has it been discontinued?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM

Have you tried http://www.exportprive.com/en/101340-cowon? I ordered my X7 160 GB (purple) there about 2 years ago. It was trustworthy webshop back then, but you'll pay additional import fees because they are based in Hong Kong and/or Korea. Unfortunately it looks like they don't have the 160GB version anymore.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymelbourne View Post
why has it been discontinued?
Probably because cowon released the X9 replacing the X7. While it sport a microSD slot for expansion the overall memory size is below what the OP is looking for.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM

same here... i want something that can fit my entire cd collection on. the x7 is perfect for that. and what am i supposed to do when my x7 finally passes on.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Buy X7 from Amazon!

Buy X7 from Amazon.com!You have to hurry up,they have a dozen of them only.
it is easy thing to do - you have to use proxy.
Proxy? - your friend in US,whose address you will use,who will forward it to you.
Or you can use specialized company,which does such thing for a fee.
I know one,but they do it only for my country.They are many,really.It is easy,popular biz,just ask around.You will pay more of course.
It is worth of trouble,X7 sounds great!It has got bad publicity because it is just
mp3 player,for music,but silly people were disappointed - expecting great video performance and some others did not like resistive screen.Screen works very well indeed,but it works different then capacitive screen.Some others - did not like interface,I think - because they were dumb,interface is simple.
When you start to use it -do not put any contents into flash memory,just leave it alone for system use;you will have enough space on hard drive.
Now I am using new D2+ which I got on 2nd hand market.I have 64G card,which cost me - 60$ and it works fine.I can get 128G,but it is 150$ and I will wait for now.
cheers!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymelbourne View Post
same here... i want something that can fit my entire cd collection on. the x7 is perfect for that. and what am i supposed to do when my x7 finally passes on.
I'm thinking of buying a replacement for my older S9 and I also noted that the X7 had a 160gb HDD (nice!) but was discontinued.

The thing is, I was happy to get away from a physical HDD in my X5L and go with the memory card in the S9. HDD's are generally power hogs and are just one more thing to fail in time.

I find the new X9 to be a really good replacement for the X7 because you start with a 32gb memory card, but also get a MicroSD card slot.
So now imagine the X9 with 32gb onboard plus a 64gb MicroSD card, and you have almost 100 gig of headroom.
Then realize that the MicroSD card is exchangeable, so add another MicroSD card as a spare, and you now have the 160gb capacity of the X7 available (or more with more cards).
If a person has THAT much music to store, then it would easily be categorized by genre, so you could have several genres on one MicroSD card and others on the other MicroSD card, leaving your most listened to music on the onboard 32gb memory chip.

Best of all, the X9 sheds the HDD, and to me, that's a really good thing.

I think I just sold myself on the X9.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM

If somebody really want X7 - you will find it here: www.mp3store.pl

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM

What country is the www.mp3store.pl site in? Russia?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

.pl is the internet country code for Poland so it's more likely in Poland than in Russia. Would be obvious for any European guy but I know that many Americans have some problems with Europe and more generally World geography

http://www.mp3store.pl/#top_info
Quote:
MP3store.pl prowadzony jest przez firmę Multimedia Intelligent Products sp. j.
siedziba: 00-114 Warszawa, ul. Twarda 1/21
NIP 525 22 57 907
BTW, exportprive.com still has a X7 in stock.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 AM

if you still want an x7, bhphoto.com is about to start carrying it. They ship internationally. It looks like Cowon is re-introducing several old players: the D2, i9, and now maybe the X7. The D2 and i9 are updated but the X7 seems to be the same old version, per an iaudiophile thread.