android
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Sony Walkman F series or Sony Xperia ZL

Hello. Im in the market for buying a new cell phone and mp3 but i was wondering if the Sony Xperia ZL can put out mp3 sound quality just as good as the Sony Walkman F NWZF806BLK?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM

I don't know about the F series Walkman as I've never heard it.

I've got the E474 and the Xperia Z phone and I would say they sound as good as each other. The Walkman app has its good points but its minuses too.

Of course with Android there are many music players you can use instead - I like Poweramp. Sound quality wise, I certainly have no complaints with the phone.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post

I've got the E474 and the Xperia Z phone and I would say they sound as good as each other. The Walkman app has its good points but its minuses too.

Of course with Android there are many music players you can use instead - I like Poweramp. Sound quality wise, I certainly have no complaints with the phone.

+1 for 'To Our Children's Children's Children' promotion!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you very much for your reply. I was thinking why not get a new sony xperia smart phone and get both of best worlds? If you say its as good as the modern sony mp3 players then i guess ill give it a shot. I need a phone anyways so instead of spending around $700 for both ill just get the smart phone for $450. Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM

It is good - some of my thoughts on it are in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...ht=smart+phone

@dawningistheday - got your song here, although my favourite album is still EGBDF

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It is good - some of my thoughts on it are in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...ht=smart+phone

@dawningistheday - got your song here, although my favourite album is still EGBDF

Good stuff! The Sony Xperia TL seems nice too!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

That's my song!
My order of the "Classic 7":
1. To Our Children's Children's Children
2. A Question of Balance
3. Days of Future Passed
4. Seventh Sojourn
5. On The Threshold of a Dream
6. In Search of the Lost Chord
7. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

Sorry, if I was forced to choose, I'd have to say EGBDF is my least favorite, but I consider #5-7 on my list to be basically tied, and #2-4 are basically tied at the next level up. #1 is definitely on another level for me though.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM

The Z got a firmware upgrade from Sony recently which apparently fixed some camera burst issue which I hadn't noticed, and helped to recalibrate the screen - again something I didn't notice.

The ZL is probably better than the Z as it has a smaller footprint.. I think the ZL is the most compact of the fHD 5" phones. The Z really is a big phone, but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
That's my song!
My order of the "Classic 7":
1. To Our Children's Children's Children
2. A Question of Balance
3. Days of Future Passed
4. Seventh Sojourn
5. On The Threshold of a Dream
6. In Search of the Lost Chord
7. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

Sorry, if I was forced to choose, I'd have to say EGBDF is my least favorite, but I consider #5-7 on my list to be basically tied, and #2-4 are basically tied at the next level up. #1 is definitely on another level for me though.
Yeah, EGBDF is quite child-like in it's construction, and some of the songs were written for their kids - Emily's song etc. but I love the melodies.

If I was to do a top 7 it would probably look like:

1 Every Good Boy deserves Favour
2 On The Threshold Of A Dream
3 A Question Of Balance
4 To Our Children's Children's Children - with those 4 albums being pretty equal, then:
5 Seventh Sojourn
6 Days Of Future Passed
7 In Search of The Lost Chord - with 6 and 7 being equally my least favourites.

Of course, they're all pretty good!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The Z got a firmware upgrade from Sony recently which apparently fixed some camera burst issue which I hadn't noticed, and helped to recalibrate the screen - again something I didn't notice.

The ZL is probably better than the Z as it has a smaller footprint.. I think the ZL is the most compact of the fHD 5" phones. The Z really is a big phone, but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it.
Hmm i think im more on the fence on the ZL now. I read your comments about your Z phone. you seem to be happy with it for the most part but you say it seems uncomfortable in your pant pocket. Although the ZL is smaller but not by much. i wonder if this would be the case for me? Also How your a lil annoyed with the walkman app on it. About the folders. I think im more towards the Series F Walkman now. Hmmm. Decisions, Decisions.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 AM

It depends what you want/need from a phone and/or a music player.

The Walkman app is actually fine - I made the mistake of letting it update information on all my music files, so it connected to some database and made a mess of the meta information, splitting up a lot of albums. But if I hadn't chosen that option, all my folders would still be there as I had placed them. I'm just lazy and can't be bothered re-doing my music for that one app.

Any 5" phone is going to be big in your pocket - I actually think the HTC One is a better design, with more curves and rounded corners - and at 4.7" it will be smaller. But I don't think you could get that for the $450 price of the ZL, and, apart from the screen size, the Sony is nearly identical, spec/wise.

I think that $450 Canadian/US? is a really good price for the ZL. I was lucky and got the Z for £300 unlocked from someone who didn't want it.

Here are some Walkman screen shots:

Last edited by Jeven; 06-12-2013 at 05:24 AM.