android
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Why does Cowon now use a proprietary usb cable?

Previous players they put out just used standard ones. What's the benefit to them changing that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahMan View Post
Previous players they put out just used standard ones. What's the benefit to them changing that?
They don't do anything that makes sense anymore.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Actually they're not proprietary, just not standard outside S. Korea. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56983

How long have you been out of touch with what Cowon does? They've been using proprietary connectors for years. If you're determined to stick with Cowon you'll need to deal with their connectors. They're not hard to get and don't cost much if you know what to look for. As WalkGood said here http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67926 if you google "OEM HTC Mini ExtUSB USB Data Cable" you'll find the cable for the i9 a number of places. I got mine off Amazon for ~ $3 a year or so ago.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Actually they're not proprietary, just not standard outside S. Korea. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56983

How long have you been out of touch with what Cowon does? They've been using proprietary connectors for years.

Dude it's not like a buy mp3 players every year. The last one I had (Iaudio 7) didn't use a proprietary usb port and I had no reason to "keep in touch" with such changes since I already had a functioning player.

I think that's a move in the wrong direction. It's one of the things that drove me away from Apple in fact. I would think you'd want to make your player as easy to use as possible with cables you can find at your local electronics store (not just South korea) in as many places as possible instead of making people have to hunt down proprietary ones. I don't see the logic behind this.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon is currently losing money. Their revenue in 2013 was less than 1/4 of what it was in 2010. Cowon had sales of around $30 million over the past 12 months. I would love to see a large company purchase Cowon. Remember when The North Face was purchased many years ago? Before that, their clothing was ridiculously expensive. A large company could take Cowon's ideas, and achieve economies of scale, so that they might be able to release great players retailing under $100.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...cy=US%20Dollar

Last edited by JK98; 10-20-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Administrator

What ideas do you believe Cowon incorporates into their products that would benefit a manufacturer large enough to buy them? What I see in their product line now are retreads of older devices. Other than that the main attraction is the addition of the Jet Effects.

Their Plenue android line is the exception. Those run versions of android that don't work very well and can't be updated. They're also expensive for the features offered. I'd find it hard to believe that someone that's done their research would buy a Plenue over a properly done android smartphone.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM

As much as I love my J3, I have to admit that without the BBE license, there would be nothing Cowon offers tat other don't do as well or better.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What ideas do you believe Cowon incorporates into their products that would benefit a manufacturer large enough to buy them? What I see in their product line now are retreads of older devices. Other than that the main attraction is the addition of the Jet Effects.

Their Plenue android line is the exception. Those run versions of android that don't work very well and can't be updated. They're also expensive for the features offered. I'd find it hard to believe that someone that's done their research would buy a Plenue over a properly done android smartphone.

Jet effects for some, and for many others the very long battery life.

"They're also expensive for the features offered."

Imo that applies to all Cowon players. Their players with very long battery life are very popular though. They would be much more popular though if they were priced lower. Since Cowon is so small though, they really can't achieve economies of scale.

I would like to see more choices for mp3 players under $100, especially ones with long battery life(50+ hours). It makes me laugh when I see a player being described as having long battery life, then they say the battery life is 15 hours. To me that seems very short, especially for a player that is not a tiny clip on one.

I wonder if Sandisk will release a new version of the Fuze. I want something the size and shape of the Fuze+(or perhaps slightly thicker) but with controls like on the Clip Zip, the same processor the Clip Zip uses, and 50+ hours of battery life.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 AM

Smartphones have killed DAPS - mine gets 110 hours audio listening. And I suspect that is on the conservative side; if I were only listening to files stored on the microSD it would probably be more.

I don't see much of a future for DAPS outside of very small players like Sansa/iPod Shuffle etc. Cowons, Sonys etc. just aren't popular anymore and are sold in vanishingly smaller numbers, they may still have a place but not much outside of forums like here or headfi.

Last edited by Jeven; 10-21-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The issue for mp3 players is also that prices haven't dropped in the past few years. Computer prices seem to have dropped around 40% over the past 4 years, yet the Cowon M2 for example is priced slightly higher than I remember the D2 selling for several years ago.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Well, they could hardly reduce the price when fewer are buying them; and if they did reduce, it wouldn't be enough to pick up enough sales to make it worthwhile.

For people who do want a DAP, the prices on the Cowon, (M2, anyway) Sony and Sansa models are probably fair.