android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Default Does everybody appreciate quality headphones?

Let me be more specific , i'm used to cheap quality products mainly because until i came here didn't know what to look for.I 've been reading alot of the headphone reviews on ABI and am wondering if a high end pair of quality headphones would be a waste for me to get right now ? Does your ear change as your experience changes ( trying different products) example :its seems I like more bass then I realized so I bought the sony xb700 and find them very enjoyable with the right track(quality) and right eq settings. The reviews they get are not so positive .What I am wondering is does any of this make sense? Please set me straight.Sorry if this is rambling.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Have you ever tried higher end headphones? If not, I would suggest to see if you can find a shop in Ontario that would allow you to test some out. If you can’t find a shop, pm a few of the guys that have had headphone meets in your city to see if any are coming or if they’d allow you to test theirs to see for yourself. I googled meets in your area and on a quick look didn't see any since 09, I'm assuming I didn't look hard enough. Maybe you’re missing out and maybe not, only you can tell for sure.

That said, I'm of the believe that better headphones or speakers make the largest difference in sound quality when your talking about top tier players or home amps and I'm not referring to the million dollar ones

Edit: While I didn’t answer your question “does everybody appreciate quality?” I would say you don’t need a trained ear to know what you like and dislike, thus the line “only you can tell ...

Edit 2: IMO price does not always reflect quality and by that I mean that the most expensive thing does not always mean it’s the best.

Edit 3: I edited your title to make it more descriptive based on the OP and moved the thread to the headphone forum where it should be a better discussion.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would actually call the XB700 quality in their own way. They are at least built nicely, are wonderful to wear, and look unique. Are they the best in their price category? Does it matter, because I think the above already is enough reason to pay the going price on them? I have a hard time recommending somthing that price that sounds better and is as well built. In comparison, there are tons of headphones that cost the same or more and are leaps and bounds far worse, I think we all know what a Skullcandy feels and sounds like? However, if you really want a skull and grey brick patern all over your headphones, with spiderweb looking mesh on the insides of the ear cup, 80$ ain't so bad. Heck if I've seen something that gaudy elsewhere...? Would still rather pay someone to paint literally any other set of headphones instead because I actually do want quality HEADPHONES when I buy a set, not just a fashion accessory to make all the teenagers around me jealous

Quality isn't an easy thing to peg, I mean its all subjective. I personally wouldn't buy a set of HD650's at their going rate but I did recently buy a set of Beyerdynamics MMX300's, and even paid to make them less gaudy looking :P (Asin roughly the same price as the HD650) I just value a good set of closed headphones that can isolate a good bit because I do most of my listening at a computer, and I also really appreciate a really good mic to be at the ready whenever I am logged on.

On the whole ear changing thing; I wouldn't say your ears change, you can just adjust to almost any kind of sound. I enjoy my AiAiAi TMA-1 immensely, even though they aren't my preferred kind of sound. I just enjoy the change every now and then, they are still great in every other aspect. Does that mean anyone would actually want to buy them? Probably no. Would they say no to a set if I bought them for them? Hell no.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Have you ever tried higher end headphones? If not, I would suggest to see if you can find a shop in Ontario that would allow you to test some out. If you can’t find a shop, pm a few of the guys that have had headphone meets in your city to see if any are coming or if they’d allow you to test theirs to see for yourself. I googled meets in your area and on a quick look didn't see any since 09, I'm assuming I didn't look hard enough. Maybe you’re missing out and maybe not, only you can tell for sure.
No I haven't and that's probably the reason I am wondering if I would appreciate them because I can feel myself wanting to get the AKG 550's ,I seen them at my local shop. And you're right if I like them that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
On the whole ear changing thing; I wouldn't say your ears change, you can just adjust to almost any kind of sound. I enjoy my AiAiAi TMA-1 immensely, even though they aren't my preferred kind of sound. I just enjoy the change every now and then, they are still great in every other aspect.
My music tastes go from Heavy metal to country and western and everything in between depending on my mood and I am starting to find one good reason to have several sets of headphones.

I think i'm looking into the 300$ range next, Thanks everyone

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM

With regards to quality. I started off with Bose IEs. Then a year later to M50s. Then i heard true quality. After a few months i realised that they weren't very good for many genres, especially rock, punk ect. I then bought some DT990 32ohm premiums. They were certainly different and amazing! I then got some Shure 215s which sound wise i wasn't a fan of. I now am on a quest to find a rock headphone.

But it's more than just a headphone for some but a hobby.

Try some out and then decide for yourself. Being a true music lover will influence your choice

Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Just noticed your sig. I would of thought you were aware of the differences already? Being a noob myself with lower end equipment i know i have allot of fun ahead of me. Provided i can afford it

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo4130 View Post
Just noticed your sig. I would of thought you were aware of the differences already? Being a noob myself with lower end equipment i know i have allot of fun ahead of me. Provided i can afford it
I'm getting there, just trying to understand if 300$ and up headphones would be worth it for me.
The advice from here helps alot for sure and I too am looking forward to adding to my headphone collection.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder9000 View Post
I'm getting there, just trying to understand if 300$ and up headphones would be worth it for me.
The advice from here helps alot for sure and I too am looking forward to adding to my headphone collection.
Just remember, sampling is free fortunately for me there's several places I've found you can test gear but by far the highest end stuff I've seen are at meets or audio shows, which are both free as well.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder9000 View Post
The higher the asking price the more difficult it gets to really pin point if the product is worth it in the long run. I tend to favor more established products like the ATH-a900, DT770, or Sennheiser HD650's versus newer products, because heck if they've been arround as long as they have been they gotta do something right?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The higher the asking price the more difficult it gets to really pin point if the product is worth it in the long run. I tend to favor more established products like the ATH-a900, DT770, or Sennheiser HD650's versus newer products, because heck if they've been arround as long as they have been they gotta do something right?
Agreed. The good thing about headphones is that they aren't necessarily obsolete the moment a new model comes out.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Just remember, sampling is free fortunately for me there's several places I've found you can test gear but by far the highest end stuff I've seen are at meets or audio shows, which are both free as well.
Haha did some searching there is a audio video show in Toronto at the end of this month ,looks like a road trip.

Quote:
That's a very good point and thanks for the mentions I will have a look at those too .

Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I think not everyone will like all quality headphones, but on average quality headphones are more likely to sound good then cheap ones.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Does everybody appreciate quality headphones?
I'll keep my answer short. In a word, YES.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Does everybody appreciate quality headphones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
I say no, just think of dr dre

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
And let's not forget ibuds....

Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Do they appreciate it? Generally yes. Are they willing to pay the price of a HD650 after having heard it? Usually not (sure as hell could afford it though).

Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupi View Post
Do they appreciate it? Generally yes.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupi View Post
Are they willing to pay the price of a HD650 after having heard it? Usually not (sure as hell could afford it though).
While the hd650s are expensive, they’re certainly worth every penny if you can find a good deal on them. Probably $350 to $450 tops ... although IMO there are a lot of headphones that are much more expensive which are not as great as they are hyped.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
LMAO...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You guys are so WRONG!!! Lol!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM

To be fair the people who don't listen to headphones regularly aren't going to pay out for some HD650s. Just like if you don't do long journies, you won't buy a new smooth driving car. So for us music fans it's justifiable. But i think it goes without saying.