android
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp works wonders,...

And everyone wants real media player controls on a device, so they already know about bluetooth functionality. Ths is just a wish list type thing,... We "kinda" have an idea about what we discuss here already.

And, fwiw, most "dumb" phones are horrible music players with horrid controls & lackluster sq and features. We CHOOSE to discuss pretty much only smartphones as this is where the market is heading. And I've owned quite a few smart & dumb phones,...the smartphones are the real multimedia powerhouses.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM

I refuse to use a bluetooth headset. Much prefer regular 3.5mm for audio. Also anyone reccomend some decent iems with line in controls for an android device?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I loved my Superfi 5's (not pro version) that had a line in.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 AM

Fair enough.

But here's another thought though. So music lovers would like tactile buttons for music playback, that's reasonable I guess. But then, photographers would like direct control for shutter speed and stuff. And even more serious music lovers would then like stuff like spdif output. And others would like something else yet.

Theoretically, a perfect combo device should offer everything, but that's not possible, is it.

So there will be Android cameras (there are already), some with phone, some without.

And there also need to be Android PMPs with hardware buttons for music and other fancy music stuff like a good amp and optical out. And for such a device, an integrated phone doesn't make much sense either, to me at least.

Another reason for standalone PMPs/DAPs to exist, even if we go with the smartphone mentality. There will surely be smartphones better equipped for music, but also models where the the 'smart' part makes sense, but the 'phone' part doesn't.

Everything will be smart some day, but not everything is meant for outside use where you need to have 3G.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Sorry, that really was just a joke.

Well it depends on your needs. When I switched phones and the battery life dropped from 5-6 to 3-4 days, I was seriously infuriated and still am, 2 years later. From my perspective, having to charge a phone every day is idiotic. Listening to music often through the day kills today's smartphones very easily, while dumbphones carry on. So either way, even with a smartphone with good sq I'd use a standalone player just so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery so much. But that's just me, YMMV.

But I get the point, people here need better audio, EQ and stuff so they go for smartphones rather than the simple ones. My previous anti-smartphone rant was rather generic.
listening to music on a smartphone is probably the least intensive use of the battery. Hard to think of an activity which uses the battery less.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 AM

OMG SO TRUE!!!!! IT TOOK ME 2 MONTHS TO FINE THE Q3!!! IT WAS $69.99!!! btw i am in love with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Q3?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

It's the older Samsung player lebellium reviewed http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/s...-yp-q3-review/ a while back I believe.

It seems to be a decent DAP but maxes out at 8 GB with no expansion slot. I don't recall it being available in the US at the time of the review either. That took it off my list then and I haven't seen anything that makes me want to put it back on.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 AM

Most of my items double as an MP3 player now... it it harder to find standalone players. I use my iPhone most of the time, but my Kindle also has that option. I miss my Clip+ though... I'm waiting for another sale because I lost it again!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM

I've stopped even using my clip+ as I can't be bothered with its miniscule screen and 10 hour battery life, or fiddly microSD.

I'm buying the Samsung Galaxy note 2 to update my ancient Galaxy S2, and that will do me for a couple of years.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My wife is keen on teh galaxy note 2 also (from the S2 like you).

Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I've stopped even using my clip+ as I can't be bothered with its miniscule screen and 10 hour battery life, or fiddly microSD.
What do you mean, "fiddly microsd"?

Quote:
I'm buying the Samsung Galaxy note 2 to update my ancient Galaxy S2, and that will do me for a couple of years.
The Note 2 is a pretty amazing piece of hardware. If my budget allowed it, that would be my phone of choice.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well we have an ipad2 and Galaxy S2 fones, and my wife still does all her social media from her S2 :|
She likes the idea of having a slightly larger screen and then hopefully it would be even more comfortable. Starting to wonder if tablets (both 7 and 10 inch varieties) are a waste of money...

Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

What each person uses is very much a matter of lifestyle and preference. I'm too active when I listen to music on the go for anything much larger than a phone to be practical. A phone sized device would get in the way most of the time. Having a tablet with me for any length of time in my day would be impractical.

Using Rockbox and the right theme I don't consider the Clip screen small. I can see the info I need at arms length in just about any lighting conditions. One of the benefits of finding what I can and can't hear is that I've converted my files to a bitrate that let's me put a LOT of music on a 16 GB card. Once I fill it up it's fairly rare I need to change it.

Fiddling around changing a microsd card while I'm moving around isn't something I would want to do in any case. I found out the hard way the spring in a Clip can fling a card a good distance and you'll never find it. Fortunately it was an inexpensive no name card but it was still an eye opener.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The Note 2 is a pretty amazing piece of hardware. If my budget allowed it, that would be my phone of choice.
Sell some of your superfluous electronics. If you can replace a tablet, phone, media player, point and shoot camera etc with one device that does everything satisfactorily do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Well we have an ipad2 and Galaxy S2 fones, and my wife still does all her social media from her S2 :|
She likes the idea of having a slightly larger screen and then hopefully it would be even more comfortable. Starting to wonder if tablets (both 7 and 10 inch varieties) are a waste of money...
That was my conclusion. For me there is only a point to buying things I will use. Anything that doesn't fit in a pocket largely decreases my propensity to carry it. I don't like being encumbered. For my uses a tablet is inferior to a properly equipped desktop. I need to hold onto it and the screen is smaller.

As it is I already have workstations at the places I need to get work done. A tablet would see use when I need something:

Bigger than a smartphone but can make do with someting smaller than laptop. There are two added restriction, 1) that I am not near one of the workstations at the places I spend 99% since they are always superior to both a tablet and smartphone, and 2) I am carrying a bag to house the tablet.

That doesn't really leave much time for the tablet to earn its keep. A fraction of 1 percent.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I almost never swap cards around. I buy one for a device and it almost always stays there...and at this point, prices being what they are, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 32GB.

I do have one 16GB card, that I have had for quite a while....that stays in my 8GB Zip, as I think most of the time for portable use that is enough space. But having a second Zip again, that is a 4GB model, I took the 32GB out of my phone and dropped it in there. I can't even remember the last time i switched a card from one device to another before that.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
What do you mean, "fiddly microsd"?

Marv, you haven't figured out that if a device isn't great for Jeven it's a piece of shit?!?!?! If it's doesn't work for him it's garbage, and whoever uses it is a moron,...

Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Sell some of your superfluous electronics. If you can replace a tablet, phone, media player, point and shoot camera etc with one device that does everything satisfactorily do so.
Fair point, but really the stuff that I do have now, if I sold it all, wouldn't be enough to cover the cost. Being trapped into one of the subsidized carrier contracts is not an option for me. I would want the 32GB unlocked Note 2, and that's around $700 US.

The stuff I have now, I'd be lucky to get a total of $400 for my tablet and my cell phone. Beyond that, I have Sansas, which don't cost much to begin with....my point and shoot camera only cost me around $100, and it is unlikely I'd get more than half of that cost back selling it...so the numbers don't quite add up.

Edit: Forgot about the iPod Classic/E11 rig before. Assuming I could sell it for full retail, I might reach that $700 barrier. But I do like having it on hand, knowing that everything in my collection that I would even consider listening to is there in one spot. Go on a trip for a few days? Bring that and not have to worry about missing anything that is still home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Marv, you haven't figured out that if a device isn't great for Jeven it's a piece of shit?!?!?! If it's doesn't work for him it's garbage, and whoever uses it is a moron,...
True dat homie!6c2ba386.gif

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 11-02-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

You could always SELL A KIDNEY

Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
You could always SELL A KIDNEY
lol. Mine are probably not worth much after my 20-odd years of hard partying. Sad that anybody would actually do that though....