android
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 PM

One thing I'd like to know, why does everyone keep using the word 'smartphone' when talking about music and pics on phones?

Every phone, and I mean every one (except those giant models for old people) can play music and has a camera. Actually almost every one also has a web browser and many have GPS and all that fancy stuff.

No, you don't need to buy a $500 phone and an expensive data plan if you just want to replace the 3 devices with one. A few SE phones from 2005 I have lying around here are among the best phones for listening music.

(Btw no I'm not behind the times, I've been using touchscreen smartphones since 2003.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Fair point, i guess ppl are kinda talking about PMP's as well as DAPS, so smartphone is more likely the discussion point in that regard. But u make a good point, perhaps someone wants just a phone+DAP combination, i wonder what would be a good phone with just those two criteria...

Anyone?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 AM

Some people on head-fi say Nokia X1 has awesome sound quality.

Around here, it's cheaper (!!!) than a Clip+, supports mSD memory cards and oh yeah, you have a phone with dual SIM cards to boot. And being a 'dumb' phone, it's gonna last a week on battery... No FLAC though, naturally.

I was thinking about one some time ago because I fell in love with the design. Maybe I'll get one someday, although I prefer to have at least GPS on my basicphones.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Around here, it's cheaper (!!!) than a Clip+
Sykes, where do you live?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, here in the USA, the X1 isn't a common phone and costs as much as 4+ clips. Plus on head-fi that thread says one thing about the phone, and across the reviews I've read it's deemed crappy in the music dept: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x1_01-review-629p4.php

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I always specify relatively recent smartphones because the audio output on most dumb phones is miserable. Low volume, roll off in both the bass and treble, hissing, background noises and electronic interference from both internal and external sources is common. I've heard or owned several models of Nokia, LG, Motorola and Samsung and the sound quality was a sad joke.

Not only that, the music player UI was almost always an afterthought and genuinely bad. I had one Motorola that had a Java based UI that had to refresh it's database every time you wanted to listen to a tune. It sometimes took 6 or 8 minutes to read and then play a half GB card. Navigation was incredibly sluggish and buggy. It would frequently freeze and the only way to kill the process was to reboot or remove the battery. After a few times of going through that I gave up and just listened to a DAP.

I did hear a Sony Ericsson W300i about 5 years ago that I remember as having decent sound quality. Unfortunately it used Sony's proprietary card for expansion and was fragile. It only lasted about 4 months before the screen died and I had to exchange it. Listening to music on a phone wasn't something I did then so I based my choice for the next one on it's features as a phone.

With the evolution of convergence devices the bar has been raised for sound quality in phones. People that have been accustomed to hearing good sound come from their other devices aren't going to be satisfied with what the older phones put out. Any maker that wants their product to sell needs to pay attention to the sound quality. The type of apples to apples testing that happens on gsmarena didn't happen then. Now that it does it's relatively easy to check if what you have in mind will perform well as a music player.

BTW, saying what people at headfi say about sound quality doesn't mean much to me. There's good people there but some of them are the same ones that say sources that are putting out identical signals sound different. Given the restrictions of the forum (you can get banned for mentioning ABX testing!) I guess that's not surprising.

Given some of the wildly inaccurate subjective opinions of equipment I own and have listened to I've learned to disregard what's said there. I may take it as a starting point for further research but I won't make a purchase based on what I read there.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
Sykes, where do you live?
Mid Europe, but It's like that in most of Europe... Want me to buy one for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Well, here in the USA, the X1 isn't a common phone and costs as much as 4+ clips. Plus on head-fi that thread says one thing about the phone, and across the reviews I've read it's deemed crappy in the music dept: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x1_01-review-629p4.php
You sure you're not looking at X2? Cause I couldn't actually find X1 on US Amazon. Well that's what you Americans get for buying so many expensive iPhones with their data plans. Now you can't just walk into a store and get a cheap phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
BTW, saying what people at headfi say about sound quality doesn't mean much to me..

True, I've also heard on other places the X1 is pretty good.

Regardless, point is one definitely doesn't need a SMARTphone to listen to music. If I take listening while on the road seriously, I probably won't cope with 1 day battery life (like in smartphones) just as I won't cope with crappy sq (like in the worse dumbphones).

I must admit I'm heavily biased against the current smartphone trend. I hate Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry about equally. I can't understand how could the progress degrade so badly, I'd expect we would have better devices than what we used in early 2000's (Sony Ericsson P910, Nokia 9300i, E51 etc), not worse. So yeah it generally pisses me off when people refer to smartphones as an answer to everything

BTW my guess is PMPs will not die either, you know why? Ebook readers with fast color eink. It will probably take a while, but when progress (there's that word again) catches up, we'll have smallish multimedia devices/readers again. Everyone agrees that a 5-inch reader makes as much sense as a 7-inch tablet or a 3.5-inch phone, right? Star Trek invented pads and tablets and they have all shapes and sizes after all.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You sure you're not looking at X2? Cause I couldn't actually find X1 on US Amazon. Well that's what you Americans get for buying so many expensive iPhones with their data plans. Now you can't just walk into a store and get a cheap phone
No, it was the X1 review, and I located the phone off of Amazon (Amazon isn't the only place to shop). It's good as a phone, but bad for my taste. No EQ? Yuk,...that's not a great music playing phone. Especially since it ONLY plays mp3 - the audiophiles must be crying.

And us Americans? Pfft!!! To think, I was going to practically give you my iPod mini,...

Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I don't see where battery life come into the picture. You charge any other player after you use it so charging a phone, smart or not, would just be part of the routine. Because a device is capable of being used as a phone doesn't mean that it has to used as a phone. Unlocked last gen smartphones can found fairly cheap in the US and can be a very nice PMP. They do music better than any of the older phones I mentioned and have the added bonus of Wifi connectivity and fairly decent video for a small screen.

The phone I mentioned listening to in post #40 isn't being used to make any calls. It has a sim card in it to activate it but it's permanently off the network. Whenever it's connected to the 'net it's exclusively through Wifi.

Since it has decent sound quality, a fair screen and has wireless connectivity the owner uses it as a mini-tablet/PMP. You can do the same thing with a Samsung Galaxy player but he got his phone at a killer price and decided to use it as a media player.

If you look around there's plenty of articles on how to set up a smartphone as a media player. I've checked out a few and it seems one may be my next player when I need one.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
And us Americans? Pfft!!! To think, I was going to practically give you my iPod mini,...
Sorry, that really was just a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I don't see where battery life come into the picture. You charge any other player after you use it so charging a phone, smart or not, would just be part of the routine.
Well it depends on your needs. When I switched phones and the battery life dropped from 5-6 to 3-4 days, I was seriously infuriated and still am, 2 years later. From my perspective, having to charge a phone every day is idiotic. Listening to music often through the day kills today's smartphones very easily, while dumbphones carry on. So either way, even with a smartphone with good sq I'd use a standalone player just so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery so much. But that's just me, YMMV.

But I get the point, people here need better audio, EQ and stuff so they go for smartphones rather than the simple ones. My previous anti-smartphone rant was rather generic.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a galaxy s2, i whacked poweramp on it and mxplayer, was impressed by both accounts. I managed to get a sound signature that to my ears sounded like a rockboxed clip on neutral.
Screen wise it was very pleasing to the eye for watching video playback.
Of course i dont really use it for either of those purposes (i don't commute etc), but i have tested a few pmp's over the years and the galaxy s2 so far has trumped the lot (especially when u consider the abundance of available goodies in the google play market).
And battery life wise, u can buy a larger thicker back plate that sports a larger battery if you really need to, or like i did buy two extra spare batteries and wall charger for $8AUD and wait a month to receive it via ebay lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM

somebody needs to build an android phone with play, next, and previous buttons physically on the device that works with all media apps

Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
somebody needs to build an android phone with play, next, and previous buttons physically on the device that works with all media apps
Not likely....lol

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Default We can Dream!

Quote:
We can dream can't we! It would make a smartphone device a little bit more attractive to me.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
They will eventually... The forces of competition will force manufacturers to differentiate themselves from the competition. They can't sell their devices based solely on the newest tech specs in perpetuity so they will need a new lure. I am at the stage where I would prefer the controls on a bluetooth headset.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM

Controls on a Bluetooth headset are cool except for the fact you look like an idiot poking at your ear to change volume or tracks. I should know I have a BT headset.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM

I've been called worse.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
There is an app called JAYS Headset, what it does is allows you to program a line in on yer headphones (if u have one) and assign the different combination of pushes to do different things. Example 1 click play/pause, dbl click skip track, triple click previous, long press volume up etc, all fully configurable.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
There is an app called JAYS Headset, what it does is allows you to program a line in on yer headphones (if u have one) and assign the different combination of pushes to do different things. Example 1 click play/pause, dbl click skip track, triple click previous, long press volume up etc, all fully configurable.
The mee A161P does it as well but I didn't test it on android, they have a list on their site to let you know which devices it works on but basically the same as you stated Bruce.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Android supports media keys just as well as Windows. All you need is a Bluetooth (or wired) keyboard and you can control your media.

Also some HTC phones support media control via the standard Bluetooth headset. There's a video of it on YT.

BTW what app are you people using for music? I haven't really dared to try how my droid phone sounds, but I just might. Requirement: app must not need needless permissions such as internet access or "Read phone state and identity".