android
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM

QUOTE: What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.

Cause Smartphones screens are garbage for video watching ! cant describe how bad
the sony xperia screen is ! horrible viewing angles and backlight bleedinn

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well i find the galaxy S2 superior in everyway to cowon's O2 pmp lol. But that's not fair, that's an old PMP and a newish smartphone.
I'm sure yer sony xperia is just bad, doesn't mean all smartphones are bad.

Tbh i think we're at the beginning of seeing the future death of PMP's. I say beginning in that still plenty are around, and even new one's being released, but smartphones are getting better and better.
I'm just not sure in 5yrs time or so if you will have as much choice for PMP's than you get now. I'm talking about companies like iriver, archos and even cowon pulling out of the pmp market, focusing more on small DAPS or even getting into smartphones itself.

And i'm also making a distinction between PMP being a 4.3 inch device and a tablet. Tablets (7-10inches) i think will continue to be popular and those with smartphones already will choose a tablet over another additional 4.3 inch device (aka pmp).

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erty View Post
QUOTE: What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.

Cause Smartphones screens are garbage for video watching ! cant describe how bad
the sony xperia screen is ! horrible viewing angles and backlight bleedinn
That might be your phone, but all the smartphones I've had in recent years did videos excellently. Even now my Lumia 900 looks amazing watching just youtube vids.

The video/audio sux argument is long dead,...people need to face the fact that the reason to get a dedicated player is just because you like the device. Especially since the smartphones that are available now are top-notch entertainment devices.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The video/audio sux argument is long dead,...people need to face the fact that the reason to get a dedicated player is just because you like the device. Especially since the smartphones that are available now are top-notch entertainment devices.
Agreed....

Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Quote:
Agreed....
+1

The only reason I still use my J3 and Z2 to listen to music is because of their fantastic sound quality. If Cowon hadn't removed BBE from their jetAudio app, or if there would be the Voodoo sound driver available for my smartphone, I most likely wouldn't use them at all anymore and use my Galaxy Nexus instead.

And looking at iaudiophile.net, many Cowon users think this way, too. The forum is almost dead.
I miss the S9-times where hundreds of posts were written every day and where new UCIs appeared weekly...

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe that's why they removed BBE from the jetaudio app, so that you WOULD still have to buy their electronics to get the BBE effects.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM

I tried to find a smartphone with audio quality that could match my Cowon player, but could not find anything. So that's one problem. The other problem is obviously battery life; my phone can go a couple of days on a single charge. Should I use the phone for music I'd most likely need to charge daily. I guess thats just a matter of getting used to but its a nuisance nonetheless.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Maybe that's why they removed BBE from the jetaudio app, so that you WOULD still have to buy their electronics to get the BBE effects.
There's still the SonicMax Pro app for iOS that has all the BBE stuff.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
I tried to find a smartphone with audio quality that could match my Cowon player, but could not find anything.
Which models did you try? Some, like the iPhone 4 and some Samsungs actually have better specs than a Cowon. The differences are small to where you probably won't be able to hear them but they're technically better.

Before anyone says they don't listen to graphs or specs I'm not basing what I'm saying on just those. I've listened to several phones and I'm saying that based personal experience and with the specs it shouldn't be hard to find one that sounds good.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM

I think small mp3 players seem to be dying with only Apple really releasing anything new, or at least anything that seems to get media attention.

Did Samsung stop making small mp3 players altogether? and Cowon, too.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I think small mp3 players seem to be dying with only Apple really releasing anything new, or at least anything that seems to get media attention.

Samsung has some small ones but I think they only sell on your side of the pond now.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, in North America Samsung stopped selling their small player. I'd luv a U7 with a micro sdhc card slot. Or even a Sony B Series player (I think,...).

Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Or even a Sony B Series player (I think,...).
That's the one I really wanted at one point. I could live with the lower capacity and no expansion with a "fun" DAP like that.

The B series Sony is the one I thought could get Sony a better toehold in the US market at one time. If they could have brought it in when the Shuffle was taking off I think they could have made a good case it was the better player.

iTunes on Windows was an incredible resource hog then and I knew several people that wanted a easy to use player that didn't need it. Having the B series Sony would have given them a well made choice other than the Clip.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, B Series was what I wanted instead of a clip,...Sony stupidity again.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

I've tried the B series many times in stores in Europe. Nothing exciting, really

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
That's the one I really wanted at one point. I could live with the lower capacity and no expansion with a "fun" DAP like that.

The B series Sony is the one I thought could get Sony a better toehold in the US market at one time. If they could have brought it in when the Shuffle was taking off I think they could have made a good case it was the better player.

iTunes on Windows was an incredible resource hog then and I knew several people that wanted a easy to use player that didn't need it. Having the B series Sony would have given them a well made choice other than the Clip.
skip252..

I wonder how the B would compare to a Clip+ for some people that do not want a Clip? The 4GB B173F is available in Canada for $40. Not expandable, mp3 & wma only, EQ might be better than non-Rockbox Clip.

Steve

Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

For 40 bucks? Heck yeah, I'd get one. I see offbrands on the rack at the checkout counters of convenience stores for near that price. Being able to get a known brand with a decent feature set would be much more attractive.

If they were available I probably would have got one instead of a Clip Zip. Nothing wrong with the CZ but it doesn't bring anything to the table a Clip+ doesn't do as well imo. The album art display of the Clip Zip doesn't impress me at all.

The B series Sony is limited in a number of ways but I would be looking at the differences, not the limitations. Just not needing a cable and the longer battery life would be more convenient. Sony has got bass boost right to my ears in the past and it would be interesting to see if they've kept that going.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Which models did you try? Some, like the iPhone 4 and some Samsungs actually have better specs than a Cowon. The differences are small to where you probably won't be able to hear them but they're technically better.
I have a galaxy S2, I installed Poweramp, threw some songs on and feel as tho i managed to replicate a sound signature close to a rockboxed clip. It of course wouldn't have been spot on, but my point is it wasn't night and day difference.
But i'll say it again, Mrs Banner still prefers to listen to her D2 on the train rather than S2 because it sounds better (once BBE effects are put in place). And i feel similar now i'm a cowon convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Cowon just released X9 player, its a large PMP style so not small, I think we're due to see a small one from them soon. Cowon won't pull out of the DAP market anytime soon me thinks.

Quote:
The album art display of the Clip Zip doesn't impress me at all.
+100. I know i sound like a broken record but that screen is such a letdown, I honestly prefer the interface of a clip+, least its not trying to be summin it can't be.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The B series Sony is limited in a number of ways but I would be looking at the differences, not the limitations. Just not needing a cable and the longer battery life would be more convenient. Sony has got bass boost right to my ears in the past and it would be interesting to see if they've kept that going.
I understand what you're saying. Just wanted to point out that rated battery life is only 16 hours.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...specifications

Steve

Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Samsung Moderator

I promise you the B series is not exciting and not worth it

The same UI and features for years now, only the design slightly changing every year, bad ergonomics, very small screen with almost no information displayed, not full UMS.

As you can imagine, if it was a good player, it would have been in my collection for a long time