android
  #101  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM
erty erty is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default

QUOTE: What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.

Cause Smartphones screens are garbage for video watching ! cant describe how bad
the sony xperia screen is ! horrible viewing angles and backlight bleedinn
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #102  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM
BruceBanner's Avatar
BruceBanner BruceBanner is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 2,094
Default

Well i find the galaxy S2 superior in everyway to cowon's O2 pmp lol. But that's not fair, that's an old PMP and a newish smartphone.
I'm sure yer sony xperia is just bad, doesn't mean all smartphones are bad.

Tbh i think we're at the beginning of seeing the future death of PMP's. I say beginning in that still plenty are around, and even new one's being released, but smartphones are getting better and better.
I'm just not sure in 5yrs time or so if you will have as much choice for PMP's than you get now. I'm talking about companies like iriver, archos and even cowon pulling out of the pmp market, focusing more on small DAPS or even getting into smartphones itself.

And i'm also making a distinction between PMP being a 4.3 inch device and a tablet. Tablets (7-10inches) i think will continue to be popular and those with smartphones already will choose a tablet over another additional 4.3 inch device (aka pmp).
__________________
____________
SOURCE: Xclef (gone) | Cowon X5(gone) | Cowon D2 (dead) | Sansaclip+ RB | Sansa ClipZip RB | Cowon i9+ (32gb) | Cowon C2 (4gb)
HPs: Soundmagic E10's | Hippo VB's | UE 600's | Superlux HD 668B | Superlux HD660 | Sony XBA3 | Sony XBA2VP
Reply With Quote

  #103  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erty View Post
QUOTE: What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.

Cause Smartphones screens are garbage for video watching ! cant describe how bad
the sony xperia screen is ! horrible viewing angles and backlight bleedinn
That might be your phone, but all the smartphones I've had in recent years did videos excellently. Even now my Lumia 900 looks amazing watching just youtube vids.

The video/audio sux argument is long dead,...people need to face the fact that the reason to get a dedicated player is just because you like the device. Especially since the smartphones that are available now are top-notch entertainment devices.
Reply With Quote

  #104  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The video/audio sux argument is long dead,...people need to face the fact that the reason to get a dedicated player is just because you like the device. Especially since the smartphones that are available now are top-notch entertainment devices.
Agreed....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #105  
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Kizune's Avatar
Kizune Kizune is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The video/audio sux argument is long dead,...people need to face the fact that the reason to get a dedicated player is just because you like the device. Especially since the smartphones that are available now are top-notch entertainment devices.
Agreed....
+1

The only reason I still use my J3 and Z2 to listen to music is because of their fantastic sound quality. If Cowon hadn't removed BBE from their jetAudio app, or if there would be the Voodoo sound driver available for my smartphone, I most likely wouldn't use them at all anymore and use my Galaxy Nexus instead.

And looking at iaudiophile.net, many Cowon users think this way, too. The forum is almost dead.
I miss the S9-times where hundreds of posts were written every day and where new UCIs appeared weekly...
Reply With Quote

  #106  
Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 AM
BruceBanner's Avatar
BruceBanner BruceBanner is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 2,094
Default

Maybe that's why they removed BBE from the jetaudio app, so that you WOULD still have to buy their electronics to get the BBE effects.
__________________
____________
SOURCE: Xclef (gone) | Cowon X5(gone) | Cowon D2 (dead) | Sansaclip+ RB | Sansa ClipZip RB | Cowon i9+ (32gb) | Cowon C2 (4gb)
HPs: Soundmagic E10's | Hippo VB's | UE 600's | Superlux HD 668B | Superlux HD660 | Sony XBA3 | Sony XBA2VP
Reply With Quote

  #107  
Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM
el maco's Avatar
el maco el maco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 57
Default

I tried to find a smartphone with audio quality that could match my Cowon player, but could not find anything. So that's one problem. The other problem is obviously battery life; my phone can go a couple of days on a single charge. Should I use the phone for music I'd most likely need to charge daily. I guess thats just a matter of getting used to but its a nuisance nonetheless.
Reply With Quote

  #108  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Maybe that's why they removed BBE from the jetaudio app, so that you WOULD still have to buy their electronics to get the BBE effects.
There's still the SonicMax Pro app for iOS that has all the BBE stuff.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #109  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
I tried to find a smartphone with audio quality that could match my Cowon player, but could not find anything.
Which models did you try? Some, like the iPhone 4 and some Samsungs actually have better specs than a Cowon. The differences are small to where you probably won't be able to hear them but they're technically better.

Before anyone says they don't listen to graphs or specs I'm not basing what I'm saying on just those. I've listened to several phones and I'm saying that based personal experience and with the specs it shouldn't be hard to find one that sounds good.
Reply With Quote

  #110  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Jeven Jeven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Posts: 604
Default

I think small mp3 players seem to be dying with only Apple really releasing anything new, or at least anything that seems to get media attention.

Did Samsung stop making small mp3 players altogether? and Cowon, too.
Reply With Quote

  #111  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I think small mp3 players seem to be dying with only Apple really releasing anything new, or at least anything that seems to get media attention.

Did Samsung stop making small mp3 players altogether? and Cowon, too.
Samsung has some small ones but I think they only sell on your side of the pond now.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #112  
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Yes, in North America Samsung stopped selling their small player. I'd luv a U7 with a micro sdhc card slot. Or even a Sony B Series player (I think,...).
Reply With Quote

  #113  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Or even a Sony B Series player (I think,...).
That's the one I really wanted at one point. I could live with the lower capacity and no expansion with a "fun" DAP like that.

The B series Sony is the one I thought could get Sony a better toehold in the US market at one time. If they could have brought it in when the Shuffle was taking off I think they could have made a good case it was the better player.

iTunes on Windows was an incredible resource hog then and I knew several people that wanted a easy to use player that didn't need it. Having the B series Sony would have given them a well made choice other than the Clip.
Reply With Quote

  #114  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Yeah, B Series was what I wanted instead of a clip,...Sony stupidity again.
Reply With Quote

  #115  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,611
Default

I've tried the B series many times in stores in Europe. Nothing exciting, really
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

  #116  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
That's the one I really wanted at one point. I could live with the lower capacity and no expansion with a "fun" DAP like that.

The B series Sony is the one I thought could get Sony a better toehold in the US market at one time. If they could have brought it in when the Shuffle was taking off I think they could have made a good case it was the better player.

iTunes on Windows was an incredible resource hog then and I knew several people that wanted a easy to use player that didn't need it. Having the B series Sony would have given them a well made choice other than the Clip.
skip252..

I wonder how the B would compare to a Clip+ for some people that do not want a Clip? The 4GB B173F is available in Canada for $40. Not expandable, mp3 & wma only, EQ might be better than non-Rockbox Clip.

Steve
__________________
Everybody should own at least one Sansa Clip family player. Except maybe the Sport.
Reply With Quote

  #117  
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,401
Default

For 40 bucks? Heck yeah, I'd get one. I see offbrands on the rack at the checkout counters of convenience stores for near that price. Being able to get a known brand with a decent feature set would be much more attractive.

If they were available I probably would have got one instead of a Clip Zip. Nothing wrong with the CZ but it doesn't bring anything to the table a Clip+ doesn't do as well imo. The album art display of the Clip Zip doesn't impress me at all.

The B series Sony is limited in a number of ways but I would be looking at the differences, not the limitations. Just not needing a cable and the longer battery life would be more convenient. Sony has got bass boost right to my ears in the past and it would be interesting to see if they've kept that going.
Reply With Quote

  #118  
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
BruceBanner's Avatar
BruceBanner BruceBanner is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 2,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Which models did you try? Some, like the iPhone 4 and some Samsungs actually have better specs than a Cowon. The differences are small to where you probably won't be able to hear them but they're technically better.
I have a galaxy S2, I installed Poweramp, threw some songs on and feel as tho i managed to replicate a sound signature close to a rockboxed clip. It of course wouldn't have been spot on, but my point is it wasn't night and day difference.
But i'll say it again, Mrs Banner still prefers to listen to her D2 on the train rather than S2 because it sounds better (once BBE effects are put in place). And i feel similar now i'm a cowon convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Did Samsung stop making small mp3 players altogether? and Cowon, too.
Cowon just released X9 player, its a large PMP style so not small, I think we're due to see a small one from them soon. Cowon won't pull out of the DAP market anytime soon me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The album art display of the Clip Zip doesn't impress me at all.
+100. I know i sound like a broken record but that screen is such a letdown, I honestly prefer the interface of a clip+, least its not trying to be summin it can't be.
__________________
____________
SOURCE: Xclef (gone) | Cowon X5(gone) | Cowon D2 (dead) | Sansaclip+ RB | Sansa ClipZip RB | Cowon i9+ (32gb) | Cowon C2 (4gb)
HPs: Soundmagic E10's | Hippo VB's | UE 600's | Superlux HD 668B | Superlux HD660 | Sony XBA3 | Sony XBA2VP
Reply With Quote

  #119  
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The B series Sony is limited in a number of ways but I would be looking at the differences, not the limitations. Just not needing a cable and the longer battery life would be more convenient. Sony has got bass boost right to my ears in the past and it would be interesting to see if they've kept that going.
I understand what you're saying. Just wanted to point out that rated battery life is only 16 hours.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...specifications

Steve
__________________
Everybody should own at least one Sansa Clip family player. Except maybe the Sport.
Reply With Quote

  #120  
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,611
Default

I promise you the B series is not exciting and not worth it

The same UI and features for years now, only the design slightly changing every year, bad ergonomics, very small screen with almost no information displayed, not full UMS.

As you can imagine, if it was a good player, it would have been in my collection for a long time
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.