android
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I think of sandisk players as disposable. I'm not going to spend a penny trying to repair one once I determined it had a hardware problem that requires anything more than reflowing a solder joint like I did once to fix a headphone jack.

I've had a couple of clips and Fuzes apart and there's nothing in there I can fix beyond what a simple putting a joint back together would do. Even then I think I'd probably cook something important while I was trying to fix what's next to it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, they are so good value that buying another is cheaper than attempting a repair

Cowon devices seem to range a fair bit in price. I picked up a new 4gb C2 for $100 which I feel is a very reasonably priced DAP. Other stuff they sell exceeds the $200-300 price tag, whilst still cheaper than a smartphone its kinda harder to see the value in those goods.
But without a doubt Sansa are the kings of value.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Yup, they are so good value that buying another is cheaper than attempting a repair

Cowon devices seem to range a fair bit in price. I picked up a new 4gb C2 for $100 which I feel is a very reasonably priced DAP. Other stuff they sell exceeds the $200-300 price tag, whilst still cheaper than a smartphone its kinda harder to see the value in those goods.
But without a doubt Sansa are the kings of value.
4GB for $100 is reasonably priced? blink.gif
Not in my universe. You could have 3 Clip+/Zips for about the same money, all with card slots....and the three of them combined might match its battery life....lol.

(Now I sound like somebody else here, don't I....)

Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The c2 is expandable also, has 55hr battery life, BBE tweaks, larger screen, video playback optional, so yes it has value. I'm not saying AS MUCH value ($ for $) as what u can get from a clip, but there is definitely value there. And in my country you could not get 3 clips for $100, they range $50-80 each here in oz O.o

Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I managed to get a D2+, 16gb, for $113. It's used, but in excellent condition. I even got a noreve leather case with it. That was a great deal,...

And I'd say "inexpensive" instead of "cheap" myself. When I hear cheap I think "coby" or "memorex",...and they truly ARE cheap crap.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Remember to give us a wee write up about the D2+

Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bruce, unlike you I'm lazy,...I think I wrote up all I can. Ask Marv how bad I am,...

Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I think of sandisk players as disposable. I'm not going to spend a penny trying to repair one once I determined it had a hardware problem that requires anything more than reflowing a solder joint like I did once to fix a headphone jack.
Quote:
Granted, but is there anything electronic these days that isn't "disposable", or that costs less to replace than to fix, provided of course you can find anyone to fix them in the first place?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

I've fixed any number of electronics that were worth the effort. The trick has been determining what's worth me spending time and money. That's a sliding scale judgement I make based on my time, money and laziness.

I swore I would let my old Zune 30 die and recycle it. I found the parts were relatively cheap (there's that word again) and taking one apart is really easy. I've fixed three of them. They're not great players but I thought they were decent enough to keep. To top it off I've got a dock and other accessories that are specific to the Zune.

Average repair cost was ~$30 and I'm guessing I'll get another couple years out of them if nothing else goes wrong. If it does and I needed to pay out anymore they're going to get recycled.

That's the type of thing I'm saying isn't likely to happen with a Clip. Replacement parts are nonexistent. It's so tightly put together there's no space to work once you get it open. The MSRP on the Zunes was $249 and they were put together to a standard the Clip doesn't approach. That makes one disposable and the other worth salvaging for me.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Not everyone can afford smartphones, there will always be a DAP market as long as the prices remain reasonable.

Plus not everyone wants a smartphone . I certainly don't want one. I use my phone as it was intended to make phone calls Not play games or update some social networking sites

Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've fixed any number of electronics that were worth the effort. The trick has been determining what's worth me spending time and money. That's a sliding scale judgement I make based on my time, money and laziness..
Do you know how to fix a Z:VM? Let me know via pm,...

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Plus not everyone wants a smartphone . I certainly don't want one. I use my phone as it was intended to make phone calls Not play games or update some social networking sites
I agree when it comes to using my cell phone as just a phone. For me, the small screen works against it for other uses (including ebooks, game player, web browser). I prefer to have several devices, each well designed for its function.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one and run with it a bit off topic.

I don't primarily use my phone for games or social networking. I do not carry a laptop around with me, to get real work done I need a full size workstation with a 24 inch screen, preferably many 24 inch screens. There are many times when you don't have anything else available for email, accessing documents in cloud storage, updating calenders, to-do lists, or looking stuff up online. I've had to do conference calls from abroad. They would have cost me a pretty penny the old fashioned way. I get them free using skype over wifi. Have you ever been lost in an urban center? Smartphone to the rescue.

Any time of day I can check for changes in financial markets using bloomberg. I have news RSS feeds so I constantly know what's up and it do not have to lift a finger to get that information. It all syncs automatically. My calenders also sync automatically. I can even share those calenders with other people. Sometimes I need to figure out how to get to get from A to B using public transit. Check. I also use it to check the weather forecasts and store checklists. There are calculators available that put the old graphic calculators to shame. I can read excel and pdf stuff.

So yeah there is plenty more to a smartphone than just playing angry birds. Having access to the stuff I mentioned in the last paragraphs 24/7 is valuable. Not everyone needs one, not everyone wants one, but some people do need em.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

I don't know if it's BS or stuck on what worked before like the OP. It wasn't until I was around a couple of power users a few months ago I came to understand that a phone can be the better bang for the buck option.

The idea of a convergence device that performs well as media player seemed fairly outrageous just a few years ago. It's not easy shifting gears to accept that they're here.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I said the same thing originally,...now I use a dedicated media device when sitting at home OR on downtime before going home at work. Once I get my Lumia 920 I'll use that exclusively at work. Then I'll only use my other devices at home or to travel.

My players are losing their importance,...and I'm actually sad about it. It's what this community is based upon.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The beater mp3 player still has a niche!

However, economies of scale will dictate that any high dollar convergence device will also be a phone. If you are manufacturing a device with a big screen, internals powerful enough to drive multimedia content and built in internet capabilities it is not a huge extra cost to add phone capabilities. You can get a smartphone and chose not to use the phone part if you are not interested in that for whatever reason.

My main problem with convergence back in the day was the fear of running out of juice when I most needed it. They put in bigger batteries and it is not a problem anymore. My Note has a 2500 mAH battery. During normal use I can't kill it in a day.

Don't be sad TDS, the community doesn't have to die with dedicated players. But we might have to change the name in the url.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When they make a tiny smartphone, that has sound as good as Cowon, that has 55hr battery life, then i also will ditch the DAP, but i really don't think that will ever happen. I often leave the house with my cowon i9/c2 or clip+/zip for music and have my smartphone in hand for whatever i'm doing with it.

Even MrsBanner who commutes 2hrs a day on the train to work still prefers to use her D2 for music and her smartphone for social media stuff because she can't be doing with the subsound of the galaxy s2 over her D2.

I think what will ultimately keep the DAP alive (and this community) is the size of the players and activities people do. An expensive smartphone (4.3 inch screen etc) is not always going to be what people want for when they go for a run, visit the gym, or use during a physical job. That's why ipods exist and still sell very well.
What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Don't be sad TDS, the community doesn't have to die with dedicated players. But we might have to change the name in the url.
No problem!!! I just don't want what I enjoy to fade away,...great MP3 players & great chat here in the forums.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What i don't understand is why PMP's still sell well (like the itouch etc), to me they are smartphone sized devices without the call ability... just get an iphone or whatever instead.
Because people don't want to be bound by contracts, and the phones are obscenely expensive to buy them unlocked.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My little one now has my iPod touch,...do I get him a cell phone @8? Really, THAT'S why iPods and other types of media players will still be around for awhile longer - 99% of us (hopefully) aren't stupid enough to buy a child a smartphone. A portable media device (iPod touch, Android media device, etc.) is a great alternative. And, funny enough, my 8yo already asked me for a phone. That's why he's got my touch,...

When it comes to the older kids & adults now it's a different story tho,...depending on what they need or can afford. Me. I need a smartphone. It's something I use every day, and not just for calls. I can do without my players, but not without my phone.