android
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

as i think i mentioned before, i have a galaxy s2 and have been impressed at the pics it can take. It hasn't completely replaced my Sony Dsc-tx5 point and shoot (which has nice features such as 1cm macro and 10 pic burst in 1 second) but i can see in the future newer smartphones will. Nokia released a 41megapixel smartphone and the images are apparently very good indeed (especially when taken at lower resolutions), and we have seen a drop in prices in point and shoots, so i think that technology/gizmo is in trouble.
But in regards to sound, i think the DAP will keep its place as battery life and size/activity of a smartphone isn't always practical, and a sansaclip like player has its uses.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
My smartphone has definitely replaced a point-and-shoot as every photo I take is automatically uploaded to dropbox - same with voice notes, no need to use the voice recorder on my clip+

I do want just a dedicated music player, though, much smaller.
Get another windows 7/8 phone.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
My smartphone has definitely replaced a point-and-shoot ...
While this is convenient you won't be taking any quality pics like these with this approach

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
While this is convenient you won't be taking any quality pics like these with this approach
If Nokia keeps doing what they're doing a real stand-alone camera will really end up being obsolete. I personally hope it happens,...

Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
If Nokia keeps doing what they're doing a real stand-alone camera will really end up being obsolete. I personally hope it happens,...
Very doubtful, there's still a real need for cameras.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When will we see cell phones with interchangeable lenses? When will we see cell phones that have an image sensor larger than 1"? While cell phones are convenient for capturing low quality images, I doubt they will ever capture images close in quality of those taken with a high quality camera using a high quality lens.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
When will we see cell phones with interchangeable lenses? When will we see cell phones that have an image sensor larger than 1"? While cell phones are convenient for capturing low quality images, I doubt they will ever capture images close in quality of those taken with a high quality camera using a high quality lens.
Wow for once we agree on something

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
You are missing the point. Most people don't need high end cameras. Sure professional photographers and hobbyists do but for the vast majority of people a smartphone camera will do just fine.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
You are missing the point. Most people don't need high end cameras. Sure professional photographers and hobbyists do but for the vast majority of people a smartphone camera will do just fine.
No he's not, he was replying to the statement made by TDS
Quote:
To which I responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Very doubtful, there's still a real need for cameras.
You even stated "sure professional photographers and hobbyists," indicating as well that they will not become obsolete.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 AM

almost all new mp4 players come with Andoid.....urgggghhh ! God save Sony

Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM

A pretty sad thread to read....I still have all my DAPS - the Creative ZVM, Sandisk e2xx's, Fuzes, and Clips working pretty much as good as when I first got them. Even my old Dell Pocket DJ still works.

How are all the smartphones' comparing to dedicated audio players in terms of sound quality? Even though technology or practicality may change over the years, I still love my music as much as I've always loved it, even back to the days of portable tape-cassette players, lol. I'll always have a need for music playing devices, and portables. I hope they stay around, and that there will be people out there wanting to bring the best devices for playing music at it's best to the masses.....

=)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacene View Post
A pretty sad thread to read....I still have all my DAPS - the Creative ZVM, Sandisk e2xx's, Fuzes, and Clips working pretty much as good as when I first got them. Even my old Dell Pocket DJ still works.

How are all the smartphones' comparing to dedicated audio players in terms of sound quality? Even though technology or practicality may change over the years, I still love my music as much as I've always loved it, even back to the days of portable tape-cassette players, lol. I'll always have a need for music playing devices, and portables. I hope they stay around, and that there will be people out there wanting to bring the best devices for playing music at it's best to the masses.....

=)
you can get smartphones that sound great nowadays.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not everyone can afford smartphones, there will always be a DAP market as long as the prices remain reasonable.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Not everyone can afford smartphones, there will always be a DAP market as long as the prices remain reasonable.
But I think there is downside to this as well, it means that not many quality players will be produced! By "price is reasonable" it basically means cheap, low capacity, disposable throwaways. /End Cynicism

Cowon is the exception, they seem to still produce great players through their un-engineering. Lol!

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo. FryDaddy View Post
But I think there is downside to this as well, it means that not many quality players will be produced! By "price is reasonable" it basically means cheap, low capacity, disposable throwaways. /End Cynicism

Cowon is the exception, they seem to still produce great players through their un-engineering. Lol!
While Cowon makes fine devices, I certainly wouldn't categorize them as "reasonably priced". SanDisk's products on the other hand, are "reasonably priced" and hardly cheap, low capacity and disposable (given reasonable care).

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't agree, Sansa products are cheap and fantastic, and some Cowon devices sneak under the radar at good prices, none are necessarily low capacity or disposable throwaways. Cheap doesn't always mean nasty, sometimes cheap is just good value.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 AM

What time of year do Cowon normally announce their new devices? About Feb/March time?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK27 View Post
What time of year do Cowon normally announce their new devices? About Feb/March time?
Sadly, whenever they damn well feel like it. Cowon does whatever they please,...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I don't agree, Sansa products are cheap and fantastic, and some Cowon devices sneak under the radar at good prices, none are necessarily low capacity or disposable throwaways. Cheap doesn't always mean nasty, sometimes cheap is just good value.
I guess it depends on your personal defintion of "cheap". Having worked in sales for many years, this is a word that's avoided, as it denotes inferior quality to most people. "Cheap and fantastic" are polar opposites of the spectrum. "Inexpensive" or "Good Value" are more positive descriptive words for something of low cost.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sadly, whenever they damn well feel like it. Cowon does whatever they please,...
+1

And I'm still hoping the X9 isn't the device they unofficially announced as "replacement model for the J3". IMO it is not an adequate replacement... it's a player they built of hardware they purchased 10 years ago and still have tons of left.