android
Old 09-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hence my earlier comment saying that I think DAPs will survive better than PMPs.

I have a Galaxy S2 phone, and with Poweramp installed was able to recreate a sound signature very close to that of my rockboxed clip.
The S2 is very nice for viewing videos as well. Of course it takes decent pics with its camera and having access to the google play store, wifi and 3g just makes it a better alternative to just a pmp.
Battery life can be overcome by carrying an extra one or two batteries (I paid $8AUD for two extra batteries and an external ac charger for the batteries). A quick look on ebay showed a variety heavier duty batteries (that come with a custom backpanel making the phone thicker etc) but at least providing longer battery life for those that want it.
Smartphones are killing the PMP market, but i always think DAPs will find their place.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What phone do you have? I've heard some decent sounding smart phones that would match up against just about any DAP on the market.

I've come across a number of dumb phones that play music but do it poorly. Low volume and background noises like hissing, even with full size cans, is fairly common in my experience with those.

The smartphones I've heard have sounded pretty good. I haven't heard that many. The iphone and a few Samsungs, but they all sounded nice enough that I'd consider them as a DAP replacement.

My old dumb phone is on it's last legs and getting one comparable would run about $50. I'm seeing one of the models of Samsung phones that sounded good to me unlocked for around $130. It's last years model but still has a decent feature set. I'm looking real hard at going route that instead of a dedicated PMP. Being able to access Wifi and the 'Net makes going that way seem to make more economic sense than a music only player or basic phone.
inspire 4g.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That was one of the phones said to have crappy sq right from the start. You should have known better,... I'm personally not a fan of the older HTC phones, but I've yet to test out a newer model.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
That was one of the phones said to have crappy sq right from the start. You should have known better,... I'm personally not a fan of the older HTC phones, but I've yet to test out a newer model.
oh well that wasn't a factor in my decision making.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
oh well that wasn't a factor in my decision making.
Then please don't state that smartphones have bad sq based on a known-to-sound-crappy device. That was an exception, not the norm.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Then please don't state that smartphones have bad sq based on a known-to-sound-crappy device. That was an exception, not the norm.
fair enough just going by my experiences on a side note anyone know any good unlocked cheap android phones with good battery and sq? Contract is up and getting my straight talk sim today. Don't really want to lock myself into another contract.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
fair enough just going by my experiences on a side note anyone know any good unlocked cheap android phones with good battery and sq? Contract is up and getting my straight talk sim today. Don't really want to lock myself into another contract.
They should all sound ok - at least as good as a clip+ - I don't know of any phones which sound bad.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Not all phones are created equal. Many smart phones are supposed to be good at audio playback but there are exceptions. There's several places with threads complaining about audio quality with the inspire/desire 4g phone. They're the first results I get when i search "inspire 4g sound quality". Complaints of tinny sound and low volume seem common.

I'd check gsmarena. They've been doing RMAA testing on phones check their audio quality. They give their testing procedures and what the results mean here. http://www.gsmarena.com/latest_featu...view-171p2.php

Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Not all phones are created equal. Many smart phones are supposed to be good at audio playback but there are exceptions. There's several places with threads complaining about audio quality with the inspire/desire 4g phone. They're the first results I get when i search "inspire 4g sound quality". Complaints of tinny sound and low volume seem common.

I'd check gsmarena. They've been doing RMAA testing on phones check their audio quality. They give their testing procedures and what the results mean here. http://www.gsmarena.com/latest_featu...view-171p2.php
well i got my straight talk sim and got everything setup. Now that I don't have a 200mb data limit anymore i might switch to using it for downloading my podcasts. But then again right now i just plug in my micro sd and hit sync first thing in the morning which isn't hard. Think I'll just continue to use my fuze for everything music related and use my phone for if my fuze battery dies or if a podcast comes out that i can't wait to listen too and i'm away from my computer.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
well i got my straight talk sim and got everything setup. Now that I don't have a 200mb data limit anymore i might switch to using it for downloading my podcasts. But then again right now i just plug in my micro sd and hit sync first thing in the morning which isn't hard. Think I'll just continue to use my fuze for everything music related and use my phone for if my fuze battery dies or if a podcast comes out that i can't wait to listen too and i'm away from my computer.
If you lived in NYC I'd work it out so you could try out my phone & my wife's iphone 4. Just to see what they sound like.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I might be wrong, but can't you use a deactivated smartphone (i.e. one that you don't have a contract or pre-paid active phone number for) with just wifi access for surfing and stuff (just not calling)? An ex. I have seen used iPhones (yeah I know where I'm at) for sale at local GameStops. Couldn't I buy one, not activate the phone by getting a contract with some cell service or even going the pre-paid route, and essentially use it as an iPod Touch even for d/l'ing music and buying apps and such as long as I am in a wifi area? Just curious, because if I come across a used smartphone for a good price and I can use it in that capacity, I might just pick one up (though I don't frequent pawn shops, I might just have to try them).

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can use an old cell phone - iPhone included - as a music/video player.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humersimpson View Post
I might be wrong, but can't you use a deactivated smartphone (i.e. one that you don't have a contract or pre-paid active phone number for) with just wifi access for surfing and stuff (just not calling)? ...
Quote:
Yes, you can use an old cell phone - iPhone included - as a music/video player.
AFAIK there are very few data only plans and typically not from the major carriers that offer the iphone, but if I'm wrong TDS please let me know. I guess that wifi only should be possible but why iphone when you can get the touch that does that. BTW my son has one of these data only plans but the company doesn't offer iphones.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, there's no "data only" plan available for the iPhone. And fwiw I'd recommend getting an iPod touch over the iPhone anyways. Unless the person is planning to actually use it's cellphone capability in the near future. Especially since the iPod touch has wifi as well, and the battery life won't take a hit on the touch like on the iPhone (the cell radio's & such).

But, if an iPhone in the same capacity can be acquired for LESS than a comparable touch - then I say go for it. Otherwise, buying an old iPhone is more of a disadvantage.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright alright! You've all well and truly exceeded yer days quota for saying the word 'iphone', stop now.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 PM

I was hoping for gps in the new touch. Even with gps I would likely not get it though since there is no microsd card slot. I'm going to stick with my Samsung galaxy player 4.0 for my music, video, apps needs. I still of course have my ipod touch 2nd gen if I feel the need for that.

Tablets and small ipod touch like devices are taking over the mp3 player market most people are indeed just using their phones for everything now. The same thing is happening with cameras as well

Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the new touch had gps built in I'd most likely pass anyways. That's what I have a cell phone for,...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
If the new touch had gps built in I'd most likely pass anyways. That's what I have a cell phone for,...
If the new touch had gps built in I'd most likely pass anyways. That's what I have a cell phone Thomas Bros. Map Guide for.

I don't need no steenkin' GPS.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I was hoping for gps in the new touch. Even with gps I would likely not get it though since there is no microsd card slot. I'm going to stick with my Samsung galaxy player 4.0 for my music, video, apps needs. I still of course have my ipod touch 2nd gen if I feel the need for that.

Tablets and small ipod touch like devices are taking over the mp3 player market most people are indeed just using their phones for everything now. The same thing is happening with cameras as well
Might be so for the majority, but not for me. Like the old blue oyster cult song " I'm on the lamb, but I ain't no sheep " , I don't follow the herd. I have a smartphone, and it does it's job fine for the phone part, but almost every other function is sub-standard compared to it's dedicated counterpart. Give me a dedicated digital camera, mp3 player, etc. over a phone any day.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 AM

My smartphone has definitely replaced a point-and-shoot as every photo I take is automatically uploaded to dropbox - same with voice notes, no need to use the voice recorder on my clip+

I do want just a dedicated music player, though, much smaller.