android
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Funny no replies. Fear of being traced or called out on BS.
*crickets*

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmp3guy View Post
I really do not want my music integrated with my phone. My phone is still stupid. Sure is offers video and I can put music on it but it's primarily a phone. In fact, it's the same phone that Daniel Craig tossed on the car seat in the first James Bond movie he made. My friends tease me and tell me to get a smart phone but I say no. I'm basically untraceable with this phone. If I take a trip no one can find me. Did you notice how fast they found the Macafee guy when he was in South America hiding out? He sent a photo from his smartphone and it completely gave away his location. I don't need this headache. I'll keep my stupid phone and my mp3 player. I guess we're the last of the dinosaurs, eh?
If you want to be truly untraceable you can't use a cellphone. Cell transmissions can be intercepted and listened to by anyone with the right tech and the price of entry is decreasing with every day that passes. Nefarious types will use "burner phone" to make it more difficult to find them but even that is not foolproof. Once someone has your number you are no longer anonymous. Your phone can be tapped and you can be tracked. They just triangulate your location from cell towers.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You trying to limit the scope of the discussion once you opened it is what strikes me as peculiar. I'd think a strong proponent of the US Constitution would be eager for others to exercise their freedom of speech.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can Cowon track me with my C2?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Can Cowon track me with my C2?
Only if you're an untraceable paranoid pilot.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 AM

Mp3 players are indeed dying out. For the vast majority their phone suffices.

But I know people with phones (some highend like the iPhone or SG3) who keep all their music on their phone and don't have any back-up device at all. So if they lose their phone they are screwed - at least until they get another phone.

I prefer a separate device - the clip+. I'd like an iPod Touch and if I get one I'll probably be going the dumbphone route, but still keeping the Sansa.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not seeing any evidence of mp3 players disappearing. I can pop into many electronic stores in oz (jbhifi, dick smith etc) and see a variety of players for sale.
Apple are certainly still pushing nano, touch etc
Sony players still available.
Granted u can't pick up a cowon instore but plenty of websites sell them.

So no, just no, they arn't disappearing...

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/portable/mp...rs/mp3-player/

http://dicksmith.com.au/audio-mp3/mp3-players

When i lived in the uk advancedmp3players.co.uk was the only place to get non apple mp3 players, they even opened up a store in the ocean terminal mall in Edinburgh (my home town). I think they have another store now.

Mp3 players have always been hard to source, that is if yer after something non apple. But if anything, in the past 2yrs i have seen more availability of players than there were in stores say 5yrs ago.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 AM

I disagree - the site you mention doesn't have a store, just a website, maybe they did once have a store but shut down.

But looking at other stores and online sites the choice in mp3 players is maybe a third of what it was 5 years ago.

People are using their phones.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Mp3 players are indeed dying out. For the vast majority their phone suffices . . .

I prefer a separate device - the clip+. I'd like an iPod Touch and if I get one I'll probably be going the dumbphone route, but still keeping the Sansa.
Thank you for returning us to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Quote:
I'm not seeing any evidence of mp3 players disappearing . . .

But if anything, in the past 2yrs i have seen more availability of players than there were in stores say 5yrs ago.

The fact that SanDisk has not put out a new model of mp3 player in 2 years, and (in my opinion) does not intend to in the future is significant and (I think anyway) reflects the industry trend. I have also noticed a smaller foot-print (or space allocation) to dedicated mp3 players in the stores at least where I live. Maybe it's different in your part of the globe.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll concede when websites like advancedmp3players go bust, or cowon folds or indeed sansa bails out, but 'till that time happens i'm seeing as much choice today that i did when i shopped 2, 4 and 8 yrs ago.
Maybe sales are weaker due to smartphones, sure makes sense, but there will always be people who need a dedicated 'cheaper than smartphone' player for situations that are higher risk to damage etc.
When Apple quits putting out a dedicated DAP or itouch then perhaps this marks the change.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM

I don't think Apple will stop anytime soon - they were amongst the first and arguably have the most evolved DAP in the ipod touch.

Even though their own sales are not what they were, they'll stick it out.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM

I went to Best Buy the other day before I knew that Zune was dead. I went with the intention of buying a 16GB HD Zune. I spent thirty minutes walking around the store looking for their mp3 players. The had allotted one aisle for mp3 players and they were sandwiched in amidst mp3 players. Compared to two years ago the mp3 is disappearing and smartphones are taking over. I will continue to use my dumb phone because I prefer to keep my communication and my music separate. Smartphones don't have a long standby time because they're doing so much.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Wink

Quote:
The had allotted one aisle for mp3 players and they were sandwiched in amidst mp3 players.
*Head Explodes*

Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I went to Best Buy the other day before I knew that Zune was dead. I went with the intention of buying a 16GB HD Zune. I spent thirty minutes walking around the store looking for their mp3 players. The had allotted one aisle for mp3 players and they were sandwiched in amidst mp3 players. Compared to two years ago the mp3 is disappearing and smartphones are taking over. I will continue to use my dumb phone because I prefer to keep my communication and my music separate. Smartphones don't have a long standby time because they're doing so much.
A full aisle really? My local best buy has a few ipods, sony e-series, and maybe if you are lucky a fuze+ and clip zip. If you are looking for an mp3 players nowadays those are about the only players that you will find in stores. I personally think that android and ios mp3 players defeat the purpose of dedicated devices. In the future I think that the only mp3 players that will survive will be stuff either geared towards gym goers and high end audiophiles. The middle ground is almost completely irrelevant to the vast majority of people.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I said it before, PMPs are on riskier ground than mp3 players as PMPs are more closely in competition with smartphones than mp3 players. Perhaps one day smartphones will be compact as a clip+, or indeed just be watches, then mp3 players will be in dodgy territory, but until that day arrives I think the mp3 player market will survive.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pmp's are pretty much dead.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I said it before, PMPs are on riskier ground than mp3 players as PMPs are more closely in competition with smartphones than mp3 players. Perhaps one day smartphones will be compact as a clip+, or indeed just be watches, then mp3 players will be in dodgy territory, but until that day arrives I think the mp3 player market will survive.
Me wants google glasses with bluetooth headphones. Then I can ditch the phone and have more room in my pockets. It's not the mp3 player that takes up that much room it's finding a good case for my earbuds. Any reccomendations for a super slim headphone case? I had my phone, fuze, wallet, and headphones in my pocket today just fine but the earbud case i have is so thick.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM

You can still see cassette players and portable CD players in most Brick and Mortars; along side of them are off brand Mp3 players. So the the answer is no but, quality players are disappearing I am sad to say.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lets be honest here, smartphones are now equal in sq to most portable audio playing devices. And the battery life has majorly improved in some instances. The Motorola Droid RAZR devices are just one example.

PMP's are dead, replaced by the Android players most companies are releasing. The exception seems to be Cowon, who keep releasing outdated garbage in a last ditch effort to grab as much cash as they can before all their once loyal customers abandon them. Samsung & Sony are going Android as well,...as we all know.

There are still the lower end players, such as Sansa & some Sony players,...those will remain. And the iPod touch (if you hate it or luv it makes no difference) will also be around for quite some time.

And the Best Buy locations around me still have a dedicated section for players, accessories, and the like for customers to browse & demo stuff. The players aren't dead yet,...but the smartphone is well equipped now to replace the standalone player. Saying they don't sound good is BS.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Lets be honest here, smartphones are now equal in sq to most portable audio playing devices. And the battery life has majorly improved in some instances. The Motorola Droid RAZR devices are just one example.

PMP's are dead, replaced by the Android players most companies are releasing. The exception seems to be Cowon, who keep releasing outdated garbage in a last ditch effort to grab as much cash as they can before all their once loyal customers abandon them. Samsung & Sony are going Android as well,...as we all know.

There are still the lower end players, such as Sansa & some Sony players,...those will remain. And the iPod touch (if you hate it or luv it makes no difference) will also be around for quite some time.

And the Best Buy locations around me still have a dedicated section for players, accessories, and the like for customers to browse & demo stuff. The players aren't dead yet,...but the smartphone is well equipped now to replace the standalone player. Saying they don't sound good is BS.
I gotta agree. Too bad I can't afford to buy an off contract phone right now and refuse to sign another contract. Straight Talk is $20 a month cheaper than any contract I could find. I would kill for a Galaxy S3 but there is no way I'm paying $500 for a freaking phone. I will contiune to use my Inspire with external player until I either can afford to upgrade or accidentally drop it in the toilet again.