android
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
You could always SELL A KIDNEY
Heh,...after cancer and all the various substances I've put in my body they'll pay me to NOT give a kidney,...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Unless there's some hidden text I can't see in my browser what Jeven said just expressed his decision. I don't see that he's called any one a name or said the Clip+ he has is trash. It's just not for him. The screen on the Clip+ is small, the battery life is relatively short and fiddly accurately describes trying to do an on the go card change with one, imo.

I'm willing to deal with those issues, he isn't. In saying he it's not for hm he didn't say anyone else was a moron or the player was garbage. From past posts I can see why someone might take his remarks to mean that, but it's not what he's said in this case.

I'd prefer to give him the benefit of a doubt and believe what he said is what he meant. Reading more into his expressing his preference in this instance isn't fair in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Well, I can see myself not using the Nexus 7 if I got a Note 2, and I'd probably sell it. No point in having both a 5.5 and a 7 inch device.

It's mainly the battery life I don't like on the Clip+, that and its general clunkiness. I've never run out of power listening to music on my phone so probably wouldn't consider another DAP unless it got at least 30 hours.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Heh,...after cancer and all the various substances I've put in my body they'll pay me to NOT give a kidney,...
ahhahah... yeh but serious, there u have the power of the Apple marketing machine, selling bodyparts to be 'cool'.

I walked into an Apple store for the first time the other day. I felt like an atheist in a church lol. But i was impressed with the layout, lovely space, lots of technological displays of varying size all showing at proper resolutions, they really have done a great job of appearing premium.

Compare that to walking into other major outlets where everything feels thrown together, nub workers setting and displaying content at poor inferior resolutions (when could be done properly if the staff knew what they are doing)...

1) Apple look professional, clean, tidy, clutter free and premium
2) Other stores look like bargain basements...

Here's another prime example. I just introduced a friend of mine to a little HD media player (capable of playing back 1080p content). He has a 50inch Full HD Tv that he has had for over 3yrs. He has only ever seen standard definition tv signals and regular old DVDs content on it (not bluray)
After using my HD Media Player and trying a few 1080p films i threw on, he was BLOWN AWAY. Up to that point he was unimpressed with the whole 'digital era' but now his eyes have been opened.
Sadly he is not alone, there are countless people like this, and he also owns a Mac, not surprising Apple managed to make a sale out of him when at first glance everything seems better than what else is around.

It then occurred to me whilst walking around this Apple Store (which has a 'bar' selling snacks/coffee etc), that the people here are essentially buying into massive premium products only to use social media (namely facebook). Apple has really done well marketing themselves on the 'club' spirit, but i sincerely doubt a large portion of Apple users are using their products to their fullest potential.
Example, I clean for some retirees and look what they had all treated themselves to... ipad3's, and i can tell you they hadn't the first idea where to start using their device, they couldn't really give a good answer as to why they even bought one... guess they felt left out.

I just installed Windows 8 the other day, whilst impressed and liking it I have had some serious issues. No usb3.0 support yet (drivers not out), Hotswop bay drives not being detected as hotswopping and therefore wanting to 'repair' drives there's nothing wrong with (cue deleting 300gb worth of data :|

It appears to me that if someone uses anything other than Apple you have to be pretty clued up as to what yer doing to get yer monies worth. I use non apple products because time and time again I find the same specs/device for cheaper elsewhere and have the confidence/know-how to exploit this. But not everyone does.

I'm fearful for Windows right now, I hope Metro gets the support it needs and development takes off and it becomes successful, because the alternative is just...well... expensive.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM

The one thing I don't like about my GS2 is the sound quality, horrible background noise/whining.

Based on my reading of GSMArena reviews the HTC One S, seems to have the cleanest audio output. The Galaxy Pocket and Desire C are budget phones with good quality, and also the Xperia Mini Pro.

Too bad the One S doesn't have a MicroSD card, the rest do!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK27 View Post
The one thing I don't like about my GS2 is the sound quality, horrible background noise/whining.
Have u tried Poweramp?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Have u tried Poweramp?
What settings do you use?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I forget now, but i think i just twiddled the bass and treble nob a little on neutral, to my ears i thought i got pretty close to a sansa :|

Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I forget now, but i think i just twiddled the bass and treble nob a little on neutral, to my ears i thought i got pretty close to a sansa :|
The sound itself is fine, it's just spoiled by the background noise.

Edit: This page goes into a bit more detail

Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

@BK27: What headphones are you using? From the test results I've seen I don't think the GS2 is going to perform well with sensitive IEMs. If the noises are still apparent with full size cans that's a real problem.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
@BK27: What headphones are you using? From the test results I've seen I don't think the GS2 is going to perform well with sensitive IEMs. If the noises are still apparent with full size cans that's a real problem.
Sennheiser CX 870 mostly

Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

At an SPL of 115 dB and 32 Ω the Senn CX 870 are what I think of as borderline sensitive. If the source isn't good it's definitely possible to pick up on the effects of a less than great amp section. Especially if you have good ears and are aware those extra sounds shouldn't be there.

Here's hoping the other test results on gsmarena are as accurate. I don't need anything right now but with prices on unlocked last gen smartphones being what they are in the US I'll being including them in my shopping choices when I do start looking.

I'll have a bit more leeway as I don't usually use sensitive IEMs or balanced armatures with crossover headphones. I'd still like the signal coming out of any player I get to be as clean as possible.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
At an SPL of 115 dB and 32 Ω the Senn CX 870 are what I think of as borderline sensitive.
Sennheiser quotes their sensitivity values in dB per Volt, not per mW.
115 dB/V at 32 Ω is equivalent to 100 dB/mW, not what I would call particularly sensitive.

BTW, I owned the CX 870 and sold them on eBay after an hour of use: they had horrible sibilance.

Last edited by skamp; 11-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Well guys, I took the courage and tried how the SE Xperia Mini Pro actually sounds.

It sounds like sh*t. No texture, no detail, lots of noise and some electromagnetic buzzing same as from the front jack of the integrated PC sound card.

My standalone players need not to fear

I guess you need to make a larger phone to stuff the good audio electronics inside. Which kinda eliminates the disadvantage of carrying another device.

BTW out of curiosity I ordered two cheapest players on eBay: one for $4.56, other one for $5.66 (the second is the Lego brick). When they arrive, I'll compare it to this phone

Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Administrator

• A sighted test
  • No mention of any attempt to volume match against a known quality source
  • No mention of headphones used
  • No mention of of the files used or what quality settings were used in encoding them
  • The person doing the listening has an admitted prejudice against a phone as a music source
  • Bigger is better?
Nope, don't think I'll be using this as part of any evaluation I make of this phone.

It may help you make your decision but I'm going to ignore what you've posted in my evaluations.Your "listening test" is about as useful to me as saying you walked into a store, put the back of the phone against your ear and listened that way.

I've no idea the sound quality of the phone you tested. It might be a great source or a terrible one. The way you performed the "test" makes the results meaningless to anyone but you.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 AM

Er, what? Where did I ever say phones can't sound good (prejudice)? Quite the opposite actually. I thought it's going to sound good, after all this hype. True, I don't think a phone is a good music playing device, but not because of sound quality (or lack thereof).

About the other details - I could state them, but
1) it's meaningless because you won't believe me anyway
2) I have no need to convince you
3) even if I had the need, I have no WAY to convince you - you know, distance, internet anonymity and all that

Regardless, one thing I will say. When I plug in the earphones for the first time and right way I hear is bzzzzzz bzz bzz bzz sssssssssss bzzz zzz even before I start the music app... Well, any scientific test is meaningless at that point.

For what I know, my unit may be faulty.

Edit: Okay that was a bit uncalled for from me. If you want the details, I'll state them. Still, TEH BUZZING.

Last edited by Sykes; 11-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Please understand, I'm not questioning your hearing or your honesty. I've no doubt you are accurately reporting what you heard. I just know from hard experience that the ears and brain are incredibly easy to fool. That's why I'm more likely to pay attention to the reports from someone that says what they did to level the playing field in a meaningful way when they say what they heard.

Your words...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I must admit I'm heavily biased against the current smartphone trend. I hate Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry about equally. I can't understand how could the progress degrade so badly, I'd expect we would have better devices than what we used in early 2000's (Sony Ericsson P910, Nokia 9300i, E51 etc), not worse. So yeah it generally pisses me off when people refer to smartphones as an answer to everything
To me that clip from a larger post and multiple other things you've said in this thread about the ability of a dedicated player being more suitable as a music source indicates a definite bias. An attitude of that type creates an expectation of failure.

There's no need to attempt to convince me or anyone else. I've just pointed out that the results from listening test done this way are only valid to the person that does them. Anyone else thinking about getting this or any other player needs to take this type of listening test with a grain of salt.

Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% interested in reports like this. The buzzing and hissing you report while the player is in use is the type of thing electronic testing may not reveal. I have a couple of the original V2 Clips that make all kinds of noise while in use. When being tested they don't make the same working noises so it's not the type of things that's discovered until someone reports their personal experience.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Well yes but that snip is a little out of context. I mean, I DO have an Android phone and I also use the iPod Touch for music more than occasionally. No, I'm not exactly psyched for either. Yes, for use as a phone (or generally, a pocket-sized day-to-day communication device), the smart phones I used since 2003 were a ton better.

But this really doesn't have anything to do with sound quality or hardware capabilities. It has everything to do with the UI, OS and the way these devices are presented like the best thing since sliced bread. That's where I call bullshit. And that's just my personal opinion anyway.

So to make myself clear: if anything, I expected the Mini Pro to sound good, maybe even great. I mean, if Samsung can do it, why not the Walkman maker, right?

I really wouldn't bother to look for the right app and then load the device with my collection of best FLAC files if I only wanted to bash it.

The 'grain of salt' thing is a given every time anyone talks about sound quality in the internet I think So no offense taken. Of course, take my findings with an Everest-sized mountain of salt, that's the right thing to do.

I'm just saying that if you ever happen to have my Mini Pro and use it with sensitive IEMs... You'll probably hear a lot of noise and buzzing (And I still think it sounds like shit overall. But that's just me.)

BTW I'm a part-time photographer but I use the Mini Pro when I need to post an eBay listing rather than fiddling with my heavy equipment. The hardware inside that little thing is really neat. It would be capable by a lot of great stuff without the Android anchor.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Older Android phones didn't sound so good - in my opinion.

Nokias - circa 2007 - sounded very good before Nokia all but died as a phone company.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM

Talking

Colleague just received the Lego brick player. It's hilarious

Proper earphones cannot be fitted, really the jack is so tight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg legobrick.jpg (98.9 KB, 117 views)