android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM

Default Looking for Unlocked Phone to Double as MP3 Player

I'm looking for a svelte device that I can pop a SIM in and make a few phone calls now and then. What I'm more interested in, however, is listening to music, watching movies, browsing the web over Wi-Fi, and taking good quality pictures.

I have up to 200 dollars to spend.

I have been eyeing the Sony Xperia X10, which is admittedly an older device, but it looks pretty good, with the Sony camera, big screen, and the fact it's going for approximately 130 dollars on Amazon.

However, the Sony Xperia X10 looks to be stuck on Android 2.1.

Is the Sony Xperia X10 worth it? Or should I look elsewhere?

Keep in mind I don't really have any high expectations ... I'm coming from a basic flip-phone and a second gen. iPod Nano.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably the best thing would be a older I-Phone. But i don't know if you can unlock them

Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can unlock an iPhone.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM

I'm somewhat adverse to iPhones because of the limited hacking potential and the complete lack of memory expansion.

I've also been eyeing some Nexus Ones on Amazon - refurb units - at 130 dollars for one.

Are these worth it?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM

I have an Xperia mini pro. It makes a great music player. The built in music player app is OK. I switched it for the PowerAmp application. It costs $5, but worth every penny. Like you, I mainly use it for playing music, it sounds as good or better than my old mp3 player. I got it on Amazon unlocked for just over $200, although I think they are going for under $200 now. I have a 16G micro SD that holds all my music. You can fit a 32G card for sure, maybe a 64G, you would have to look up the specs. I have a pay as you go SIM card. I rarely make calls so I only need to top it up with $25 evey 3 months. Its a little small for watching movies, but the screen quality is great. If that important, I would probably buy the larger x10. The camera on the mini pro is good, except for low light photos. I takes very good Hi-Def videos though. I would say the x10 at $130 is a steal. I would not worry about the Android version, most apps are compatible with the older versions. An upgrade is available for ICS but I heard about some compatibility issues so I did not install it. It does everything I need now, so why bother.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post
I rarely make calls so I only need to top it up with $25 evey 3 months.
Thank you for the information. But one question: what cell phone carrier do you use? The carriers I have found only offer minutes that expire after one month, not three months. It would be great if you could share the name of your carrier. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM

I use AT&Ts GoPhone service. Its almost impossible to find on the web site. but if you go the AT&T phone store and as for a pay as you go service they will set you up. You need a SIM Card
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/simcards.html
and after that you can get a refill
http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=J8L-nYTUJG-
The web site shows the options. $10 or $15 expiring in 30 days, $25 or $50 expiring in 90 days, or $100 expiring in 1 year

Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 PM

So you can actually take an unlocked smartphone and drop in a standard valid SIM card from an AT&T dumbphone and have voice-only operations without any data service?

Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a T-Mobile pay as you go phone and you can pay 100.00 and the minutes are good for a year and will carry over if add 10.00 just before the year is up

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans

Plus i found this on Amazon looks to have better specs and only 20.00 more

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-Mi.../ref=de_a_smtd

Last edited by dgb52; 10-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Xperia Mini is a piece of shit. My little sis-in-law has it,...sluggish, doesn't ring half the time, battery life is horrid, music sq is pretty bad. Yuk!!!

There's more that sux about it, but I'll be damned if I can remember.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
So you can actually take an unlocked smartphone and drop in a standard valid SIM card from an AT&T dumbphone and have voice-only operations without any data service?
That's exactly what I did. I got a Pantech flip phone with a prepaid SIM card a few years ago. I bought the Unlocked Sony Xperia on Amazon, and plugged in the SIM card from the Pantech, and it worked. I use WiFi for data and keep the data service switched off, the data does work but it eats up the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Xperia Mini is a piece of shit. My little sis-in-law has it,...sluggish, doesn't ring half the time, battery life is horrid, music sq is pretty bad.
I have not had any of the problems you describe. It always rings, I get three days out of the battery, providing I turn off the WiFi when I an not using data. The sound through the headphones is great, but the voice quality when making a call could be better. Maybe your sister has a different model, mine is an Xperia mini pro.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I did. I got a Pantech flip phone with a prepaid SIM card a few years ago. I bought the Unlocked Sony Xperia on Amazon, and plugged in the SIM card from the Pantech, and it worked. I use WiFi for data and keep the data service switched off, the data does work but it eats up the cash.
So, do you theorize that this will work with any android-based smartphone that is unlocked? I.e.; an unlocked Galaxy Note or SG3?

I have an existing AT&T voice-only plan for my dumb-phone...no contract
Think I could take that SIM and drop it into an unlocked SG3 or would the carrier detect it and require me to have a data plan?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So, do you theorize that this will work with any android-based smartphone that is unlocked? I.e.; an unlocked Galaxy Note or SG3?

I have an existing AT&T voice-only plan for my dumb-phone...no contract
Think I could take that SIM and drop it into an unlocked SG3 or would the carrier detect it and require me to have a data plan?
I've heard that they can detect an iPhone and require a data plan, but I don't know how true that is....and I don't know if that would also apply to an Android phone.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have not had any of the problems you describe. It always rings, I get three days out of the battery, providing I turn off the WiFi when I an not using data. The sound through the headphones is great, but the voice quality when making a call could be better. Maybe your sister has a different model, mine is an Xperia mini pro.
Well, we're used to high end phones - Android, iPhone, and WP7. That phone is a horrid low end device. Mid tier I'd recommend, that's not recommend.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've heard that they can detect an iPhone and require a data plan, but I don't know how true that is....and I don't know if that would also apply to an Android phone.
Hey Marvin, recognize you from years over at the Sansa Fuze forum.
I guess I need to ask a friend with an android phone if I can try my SIM card and see what happens. Any downside to that do you think?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hey Marvin, recognize you from years over at the Sansa Fuze forum.
I guess I need to ask a friend with an android phone if I can try my SIM card and see what happens. Any downside to that do you think?
It's worth a try. If the phone company does detect that it is a smart phone with your sim, then you could always put the sim back into your dumb phone and go into the local office with the dumb phone saying,"What do I need a data plan for with this thing?"

Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Don’t fool yourself, they’ll know exactly what type of phone you put your sim card into. That info is transmitted ... They also collect information, record calls and text msgs and hold for up to a year, just read the “Retention Periods of Major Cellular Service Providers by the Department of Justice.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Don’t fool yourself, they’ll know exactly what type of phone you put your sim card into. That info is transmitted ... They also collect information, record calls and text msgs and hold for up to a year, just read the “Retention Periods of Major Cellular Service Providers by the Department of Justice.
So is this pretty much confirmed? They'll charge you for a data plan if you plug your SIM into an unlocked smartphone?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So is this pretty much confirmed? They'll charge you for a data plan if you plug your SIM into an unlocked smartphone?
Test it, I'd be shocked if it works and they don't charge. Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion they over charge already ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM

They do not charge me for a data plan. I think if you read the rules they say you must have a data plan to use data, but you can use the phone to make calls and send text messages, and use WiFi for data, without a data plan. If you do need a data plan they have a $5 a month plan, but you get very little data, I think its 200MB.