android
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Default disordered files etc

(Windows 7 Ultimate)
Hi can anyone advise me please. I have a clip+ 8gb which has all the latest firmware as supplied yesterday by Sandisk. However despite trying to sync files via Sandisks own prog, MS Media Player, Media Centre, Audible manager and via straight drag and drop. Each time I followed Sandisks advice and formatted and reset the usb to mtp. However, despite everything showing as being arranged by Artist, Author, Album, Book and Genre while connected. When I disconnected the player each time, once it had read the new media, everything was just dumped in an "Unknown Folder", where nothing was findable.
Im figuring that as a non techy person (Ive suffered slight brain damage from a diabetic coma) I must have done something wrong to end up like this but I was supplied with notes on how to do everything by Sandisk which Ive followed.

I have since found that when using my computer/my music, when I attempt to alter & save anything via the info at the bottom of the window, I get an unspecified error (error 0x80004005) which stops me saving my changes. Though as direct download from Amazon still ends up the same, Im not sure. So basically I can get everything on the player but everything is totally disordered. So seeing as Sandisk cant arrive at a fix, Id sure be grateful if somebody could help me (fairly simple step by step instruxtions if possible, sorry). Thanks in advance, Neill (nshotter@hooglemail.com)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I would do the following...
  1. format the player
  2. switch to MSC (not MTP)
  3. copy a few files to the MUSIC directory on your player using drag & drop
  4. unplug the player, wait for the database to refresh
  5. check that the files are present using the Music>Folders access
  6. if they are not present, or not named as you expected, then there is a problem
  7. if they are present and named properly, then that is good
  8. now check the albums or authors access
  9. if things look good, then that is great, and you can finish loading your music
  10. if everything is still unknown, then the tags inside your files are invalid, missing, or incomplete. Come back and tell us what you saw. Somebody will walk you through using MP3Tag to fix things up

Hope this helps, and that I haven't missed an important step.

Steve

Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just a question: you have the ID3 tags for your files filled in, right? (Not just the folder/file names, but the ID3 tags.) As a general matter, the Clips use the ID3 tags to organize the files via the database--if there are no ID3 tags or tags are missing, the files get put down as Unknown in the database.

Also, USB MSC mode just works more smoothly than MTP mode--for reasons unknown to mere mortals, MTP mode will sometimes rename files into unrecognizable strings.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Everytime I have had files show up as unknown the tags were missing. MP3 tag is a great app to have & use. BTW it is free.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 AM

I think you'll find if the album ID tag is correct, the clip will assign and use the filename for song title, but I'm not sure in what order. As a minimum, one should set the Album, Title and Track# field. The latter is very important since this governs the play order. Maybe not critical for pop music but could be unsettling for classical and opera. Who would want the overture to occur in the middle of an opera!!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
I think you'll find if the album ID tag is correct, the clip will assign and use the filename for song title, but I'm not sure in what order.
If the tags are there, that is what the Clips use for the database--not the filenames. The filenames only are used for display purposes with podcasts and audiobooks, if the title ID3 tag is missing and either the files are in the podcasts or audiobooks folders or the genre ID3 field is set to podcast or audiobook.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bottom line is get your tags in order all of them. Once you correct those you should have no problems.