android
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If your friend hasn't ever tried good IEMs, I think he/she will be blown away as they sound very good across the sound spectrum from low to high and very clear. Just make sure they select the right tips to get a good seal, the set comes with loads of tips so that shouldn't be a problem.

No worries, you can post or talk about ipods here, just don't make it a habit (roll eyes means I'm being sarcastic)
Well, he has owned two pairs of Klipsch S4s in the past. In fact, his second pair just broke and that's why I'm getting him a new pair. And I definitely will not make it a habit, I hate Ipods with a passion. I'm sticking with my Cowon J3 for now.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by av399 View Post
Well, he has owned two pairs of Klipsch S4s in the past. In fact, his second pair just broke and that's why I'm getting him a new pair.
You're a good friend, I'm sure he'll like love the sound quality coming from klipsch.

Quote:
And I definitely will not make it a habit
Would be an expensive habit

Quote:
I hate Ipods with a passion. I'm sticking with my Cowon J3 for now.
While I don't like apple, their ecosystem or I don't own their products. Their players aren't bad sounding and even better rockboxed

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathang View Post
From http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/...impedance.html:

"...Most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance."

The article cited by Skip232 (from the same author/blog) has the iPod Touch 3G at 7 ohms, which he calls "getting high enough to be a concern with some headphones." Using NwAvGuy's "1/8th rule" would put an ideal headphone match at over 56 ohms. He goes on to show that a 21-ohm Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's frequency response shifts by up to a "decidedly audible" 3.5 dB with the iPod (I know that 3.5 dB is significant to me).

Since many IEMs have impedances of 16-32 ohms, It seems to me that this could be a real concern (at least, with that particular model/generation iPod).
Who's skip232? When you find him let him know that skip252 has listened to a Touch 3G with several pair of relatively sensitive 16 ohm dynamic driver IEMs and isn't concerned.

An output impedance that high *might* cause audible problems with multi-armature with crossover IEMs but I wasn't able to hear any with less expensive dynamic driver IEMs. The*might* is because I don't have any IEMs like that and can't say from experience if I hear any problems.

I don't know of any multi-armature IEMs like the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro that can be found within the originally specified $60 budget. That's why I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Considering both the test results and my personal experience I'm willing to stand by my advice that just about any IEM within the specified budget should work well with a newer iPod.
I own several 16 ohm dynamic driver models that fall within the budget and haven't been able to identify an audible problem while listening to a 3G Touch.

I'm the first to admit my hearing isn't the "be all-end all" when it comes to identifying audible problems like hiss. I have older ears and hiss is something younger people tend to hear more. However when I use those same headphones with a Sony that definitely has high output impedance they hiss to an objectionable degree.

The Sonys hiss so much that I only use them with higher impedance, full size cans. The hiss goes away then.

(BTW, I know it was a typo. I was just using that to try to make a funny.)

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Who's skip232? When you find him let him know that skip252 ...
He deducted 20 points for your reply

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
He deducted 20 points for your reply
Heh,...you guys made a funny!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Basically, the damping factor is the ratio of the impedance of the load to the impedance of the source. A high dampening factor means that you have very good control over the driver position (there is little over/under shoot and thus little distortion). But the extent to which this matters depends on how well damped the actual diaphragm is. If there is a lot of mechanical dampening, you may not need as much electrical dampening.

Balanced armatures tend to have relatively little damping built in, so they need a higher dampening factor them other designs. They are also often built of 2 or more drivers in parallel, each of which may have a different impedance then the overall impedance of the device. This further increases electrical demands on the driving circuit.

I'm not sure where the rule of 8 comes from for dampening factor, but its just a rule of thumb. Some headphones won't need that high, others may optimally want a bit higher. Testing with RMAA is a great way to check though. If the frequency response is weird, or there is a lot of THD, its probably safe to assume a higher dampening factor would help.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Pioneer se-cl07. They sound good at a low price & do not favor 1 frequency over the other.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs20 View Post
Pioneer se-cl07. They sound good at a low price & do not favor 1 frequency over the other.
Probably not a bad overall choice but as the OP said about the taste of the person that will be using them
Quote:
SQ or sound signature: he prefers bass
If the Pioneers are neutral they won't supply the preferred sound signature.

The Klipsch s4 av399 says the recipient has now are bass heavy headphones. Not basshead but definitely tipped towards the bass range. Someone who prefers that that type sound sig would probably have a hard time with a headphone that doesn't deliver a solid thump when they want one.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 AM

S4, S4i the x10i (BA) - I found the entire klipsch range to be bass-heavy.

Tags
headphones, iems