android
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Default IEM's for under $100

Hey Guys,
I am looking for a good pair of IEMs for under $100. I am very Sennheiser loyal, I currently own a pair HD 280 pro cans. I am looking for IEM because the cans are big and difficult to carry around and they can be an annoyance to wear in public.I am open to other brands as well.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM

I can see that you're from San Diego but if you add more information like this it will help members make better recommendations. I'm not big on senn's under $100 for IEMs but their higher end IEMs are very nice. That said, there are plenty great IEMs under $100 on the market today, even BA driven.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM

As I said Ramon I am open to other brands and you might be able to convince me to spend more. Could you throw out some names?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Which types of music do you listen to? A BA IEM would be great for classical music, but not so great for rock, especially if you like strong bass. Do you want an IEM that sounds neutral, or one that has extra bass? Which player will you use it with? If you plan to use it with a low powered portable, then you need one with decent sensitivity. Do you need great isolation(will you use this during noisy commutes)? Will you be using it during sports or other activities that require a great durability? There are some IEMs that sound great but are quite fragile, while others might not sound as good but are much more durable.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Well two priorities are durability and Isolation. As far as music goes a little bit of everything, primarily Country and Hip-Hop. Players are a Sony Walkman (pretty powerful) and Ipod nano 3rd gen (buying it off a friend no clue about sound)

Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For great durability and isolation, I guess many will suggest the Etymotic HF5. It can be found for just under $100 if you look carefully. It is a BA design, so it will be great for classical music and as far as detail, but doesn't have strong bass. I guess others will recommend the Shure SE215($89). The SE215 has a detachable cable. The Se215 has a dynamic driver, so it has better bass than the HF5. There is also the Etymotic MC5($55) which has a dynamic driver and better bass than the HF5, but not as much detail.

I don't have either of these yet. I was conidering the HF5, but read that the nozzles are plastic and might break if tips are pulled off with too much force. The HF5 is supposed to have about the best isolation of any IEM. Another option is the Sony XBA-1 BA IEM($62). Since the Sony is a BA, expect great detail, but not such strong bass. I have been reading about these, but decided to stick with cheaper IEMs for now. I guess I am satisfied enough with the $15 Panasonic RP-HJE355, $20 JVC HA-FX40, and the $25 Panasonic RP-HJE450 to not want to spend around $100 on the SE215 or HF5, or around $62 on the XBA-1.

You should research IEMs at http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portabl...n-ear-monitors

Let us know what you decide. Each IEM has its strengths and weaknesses. Some that have stronger bass are lacking in the high frequencies, don't have that much isolation, or don't have that much detail. I guess I might get the MC5,XBA-1, or Sony MDR-EX310($60) as these are less expensive than the others I mentioned. I guess some might say to splurge and spend $150 on the Sony MDR-EX600.