android
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

What are your thoughts? Who do you think will win? There's only 2.5 billion dollars at stake.

I didn't read Steve Job's biography, but I hear he said before he died that he'd spend every last dime Apple had to win this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Which lawsuit are we talking about? There's like a dozen of those between these companies.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM

The patent lawsuit that court proceedings and jury selection began yesterday:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/pres...164278376.html

I guess the news media in Silicon Valley is much more focused on this than it is in other places, so we who live here tend to hear more details about it. Locals refer to parts of Cupertino as the Apple 'core'.

Last edited by Tapeworm; 07-31-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One can't but help wonder, if Apple wins, if Samsung's parts will go up dramatically in price for Apple.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Things must be getting interesting. Apparently the judge in this case is reaching the end of her patience, asking the Apple lawyers, "Are you smoking crack?"

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-apple-la...160159235.html

Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As can be predicted, the judge and her lawyer staff (typically, 2 recent law school grads; possibly some law school interns as well) are vastly overstaffed. Apple and Samsung likely have dozens of attorneys on the case, given the issues and money at stake--can you imagine the amount of paperwork that a few dozen attorneys can generate for the judge and her staff?

Plus, of course, the attorneys would love unlimited time to present their cases at trial--the judge has severely limited the total time each side has, I believe to 25 hours of witness examination and cross-examination per side. (This is common at court nowadays--but one can't help but wonder about the fairness of this, given the issues and finances at stake here.)

The judge's crack comment came when Apple's attorneys presented a 75-page summary of its yet-to-testify large number of remaining witnesses, when it has limited time left for its case. The question being, how in heaven's name could all of those people testify in the limited time.

My impression is, the judge has limited faith (to say the least) in the attorneys' presentation of their cases, in being able to handle the court's sever time limitations.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It seems like it would be poetic justice for Apple to suffer major losses in this battle. They were brash in starting this war. It is not wise to underestimate Samsung. Already 64% of smart phones are using Android. Imo the iphone seems too expensive and too inflexible. Let's see if Samsung gains plenty of market share in tablets next year.

For so many years Sony dominated the television market. Now Samsung is the dominant tv maker.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the system fosters the possible greed and over-reaching that we are seeing. Specifically, the system keeps on giving legal rights for things that many say are not protectable (or shouldn't be). If the system gives a company these rights, it's not surprising that a company then tries to enforce them.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM

The Cult of Apple is as bad as the Cult of Scientology. Always ready to sue.
Apple will keep suing until it gets its way.

This whole scenario reeks. It reminds me of Hansen the maker of Monster Energy Drink suing a local Vermont brewed a beer on the name "Vermonster" beer which they have been brewing years before Monster energy drink came out. Hansen sued and won because they have the money to do so and the little brewer had to change the name or go broke fight this.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33282954...r-beer-brewer/

While Samsung has deep pockets, Apple's is bigger.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, didn't the figures show that Samsung is bigger?

Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe so. But I think they're both big enough it isn't even really a question lol

Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Samsung is larger than Apple in sales, however Apple is larger in market cap(value of its stock).

Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Samsung is larger than Apple in sales, however Apple is larger in market cap(value of its stock).
Samsung is a much more diverse corporation, however. They sell far more different types of product than Apple, although not all in the US.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Samsung is the largest tech company in the world by revenue and in units sold. I believe Apple, despite making less revenue and selling way less units (even selling way less smartphones than Samsung) has a bit more cash in their pocket than Samsung from their insane profit margins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...logy_companies

I too believe Samsung is a way more diverse company than Apple as 80% to 90% of Apple sales and pretty much all their profit now a days is just from iphones and iPads. Pretty much if anyone takes out iOS devices or makes Apple have dismal sales or even forces Apple be more competitive/make less profit margins on those devices, bye bye Apple as we know it now. Apple will make a fraction of their profit causing all their stock holders to run away likes there's no tomorrow resulting in the largest tech bubble pop in history.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The Cult of Apple is as bad as the Cult of Scientology. Always ready to sue.
Apple will keep suing until it gets its way.

This whole scenario reeks. It reminds me of Hansen the maker of Monster Energy Drink suing a local Vermont brewed a beer on the name "Vermonster" beer which they have been brewing years before Monster energy drink came out. Hansen sued and won because they have the money to do so and the little brewer had to change the name or go broke fight this.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33282954...r-beer-brewer/

While Samsung has deep pockets, Apple's is bigger.
Big Sky- You're up in my neck of the woods!
Yeah- and remember the big deal about Bo down in Montpelier doing his little homegrown "Eat More Kale" T-shirt? Getting sued by Chick-Fi-Lay, or whatever their name is. Big greasy southern chain fast food store sues local guy making a few dozen tshirts in a state 2000 miles away where the company doesn't even have any franchises, in a different business, because their slogan is "Eat More Chicken". See how Eat More Kale would compete? Me neither.

Apple is the wealthiest company in history. They can't be really hurt by all this. If they manage to supress Samsung (and HTC and everyone else)...and the next iphone ends up costing $1000 each, will that be a surprise? (This is what happens when the iSheep line up, give apple anything apple demands for the latest iTurd every year.)

These claims are essentially as ridiculous and frivolous as Chick-Fi-Lay's claims that the Montpelier guy is infringing on their logo and is a threat to their business.
Who made the first television, anyway? What if Westinghouse or Admiral had patented the shape of a TV and the TV tube. Sylvania or Zeninth have to make a sphere TV that projects onto the ceiling or something? No, the square shape and the fact that it uses a cathode ray tube was not patented. It's a form.

What if GE patents the concept of heated wire coils that toast you r bred? No one else can make a toaster? Or a range? Or an oven or a refrigerator? Waring patented the blender thingy so Hamilton Beach, Scovil, GE, Kitchen Aid can never make a blender?

What if Marvin patents the concept of a piece of glass that gets framed by wood and stuck in a house wall? No one else can build windows?

Ridiculous.

I hope the judge lines up apple and all their lawyers and spanks them on the rump until they cry.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
What if Marvin patents the concept of a piece of glass that gets framed by wood and stuck in a house wall? No one else can build windows?
I didn't know Marvin was in the construction business. Do they have houses on Mars?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Big Sky- You're up in my neck of the woods!

I hope the judge lines up apple and all their lawyers and spanks them on the rump until they cry.

No Blackdog, I currently reside in the midwest. I am a beer hunter and all things beer. I travel the world in search of beer. I am an advocate and supporter for local brewing and seeing them thrive. I only mention this because it ties to this tread in that. There is plently of pie for everyone. The Major Brewers pull even lower and dirty tactics to get their market share and filthly lucre and do anything to keep their competition (smaller breweries) of the shelves of stores.

In all this I am reminded of working for the company store. In rural Appalacia the was a eco-system liken to fiefdom. You worked for the local mining company. You live living in company housing. You bought from the company store and were paid in company script.

Once you immerse yourself into that eco-system you could not get out. You were tied to it lock, stock and barrel. Where were you gonna go you had no money because you only had script.

This in not much differnt and immearsing yourself to the Apple Eco-System. Once you are in you are not likely to give up everything you have invested to go elsewhere unless you are single, no children, have deep pockets, or just a gear head.

Eco System:
Company Mine/Town.......Apple
The Company Store....iTunes
Miners/Fiefs......Apple Fanboy

I not going digress any further....you have a brain.

I for one like freedom. I am not a slave nor want to be one to anything physicially, mentally, spritually, socially, finacially.....

Apple wants to be a techno Over Lord.

Freedom of Choice not Freedom from Choice.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The trial is in San Jose, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area--the lawyers might enjoy being spanked.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Well, the jury's back and the decision goes to . . .

Apple. Not the $2.5 billion they were seeking, and Samsung will surely appeal so it's far from over, but 1 billion ain't nothin' to sneeze at either.

Only 3 days in deliberation and they came back with a unanimous decision? I think the jurors had been subjected to and waded through enough 'techie' stuff and just wanted to get outta there.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/app...5#.UDgVGKAfZyQ

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM

Default So Rounded Corners

Apple won the lawsuit and awarded roughly a billion in damage from patent violation and "irreparable harm" after deliberating in a "surprisingly short time" despite roughly a 100 pages of paper on this issue

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/24/32...-trial-verdict

This is BS

Last edited by skip252; 08-24-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Post moved to existing thread