android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 AM

Default Is Sansa Clip Zip possible without PC or Mac, only Android

Hi, my first time here, please put an end to my puzzle; I have an ipod and use that with my PC, however I am now getting rid of my PC as my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 does exactly what I want. I realise that this is the end of the road for my ipod. The ipod was dying anyway so I looked into an alternative and discovered Sansa Clip Zip. This device seems to do what I want, which is mainly listen to music, play podcasts and hopefully it has a sleep function for at night when I nod off! The only important detail I can't get clarification on is, can I use it without an operating system such as Windows or a Mac? Can I simply connect it to my tablet and enjoy all that I currently enjoy with my ipod.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is my understanding that the 7" version of the Tab 3 does not support OTG connection, but the 8" and 10" do. So, first, which Tab 3 do you have?

Second, I have a Tab 2 7", and a cheap OTG cable from eBay. I have found connecting items thru the OTG cable to be more 'miss' than 'hit'. Perhaps it would work better with a Samsung cable, but based on comments at other forums, probably not. My Clip Zip in MSC mode recognized that it was connected to the Tab, and appeared to start charging. However, the Tab did not recognize the Zip.

Then I tried connecting a microSD card to the Tab through the OTG cable. With mixed success. Although after the second time I rebooted the Tab, things seemed to work better. The micro card probably could be used with the reader built into the Tab, but I didn't feel like removing the one that lives in my Tab. Note I did not try updating the micro card and using it in my Clip Zip.

BTW, I'm happy that your Tab 3 does all that you need. I doubt that a Tab will ever replace my PC laptop.

Steve

Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Thank you for helping me out. It's the 10" tab that I have. Is it easy to get hold of a cable that has a male micro usb connection on each end?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I haven't seen a single piece adapter like that. A USB OTG cable is one like this http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Micro.../dp/B005QX7KYU You can then either get another cable or adapter to plug into that to make the connection.

From what I read USB OTG can be tricky. I haven't had a device where I needed it so I haven't done any personal experimentation. Sometimes the drivers aren't the greatest, sometimes there's not enough power and you need to use a powered USB hub. There also seems to be differences in the quality of the cables and connectors.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't had any USB OTG issue whatsoever with my Dell Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) tablet. Picked up a generic USB OTG cable at a local electronics store and been just fine.

The only situation I have seen is where a more power-hungry peripheral device (such as a portable or other external hard drive, or DVD player/recorder; keyboards, mice and flashdrives have been fine) is attached, in which case the tablet--not the USB OTG cable--has not been able to provide sufficient power to power the peripheral--in that case, the tablet can be attached, via the USB OTG cable, to a powered USB hub and the peripheral to that.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin1430 View Post
Thank you for helping me out. It's the 10" tab that I have. Is it easy to get hold of a cable that has a male micro usb connection on each end?
Micro A to micro B USB OTG cable at Amazon.com; $6, .5 meter.

http://www.amazon.com/LINDY-0-5m-USB...X9EPJHZ54TZMER

Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I would test that your tablet is able to add files to a regular USB thumb drive. If it is, it will work with a Zip.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks everyone for helping me, from reading each reply and viewing each of the suggested links, first I think I now need to get myself the adaptor that Skip252 suggested, from there I can check if I can add files to a usb thumb drive and if that works then get an additional cable to join the clip zip with the tablet. Am I missing anything? I really don't want to buy the clip zip and then discover it won't work. There aren't any extra peripherals attached so that eliminates the possible problem of not enough power.

Thank you all

Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM

You only need the adapter skip suggested, nothing more.

And yes, test on a thumb drive first.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for helping me, from reading each reply and viewing each of the suggested links, first I think I now need to get myself the adaptor that Skip252 suggested, from there I can check if I can add files to a usb thumb drive and if that works then get an additional cable to join the clip zip with the tablet. Am I missing anything? I really don't want to buy the clip zip and then discover it won't work. There aren't any extra peripherals attached so that eliminates the possible problem of not enough power.

Thank you all
The cable to join the clip zip with the adapter cable will come with your Clip Zip (unless you buy a used Zip, in that case, who knows).

But remember, my Tab2 did not recognize the Zip, and I just tried again with both MSC and MTP modes, and it didn't work either time. As far as I can tell, nobody in this thread has said that it actually worked for them. Oh, and a 8GB flash drive works for me.

Steve

Old 07-24-2014, 03:01 AM

Thank you, so its still a case of approach with caution. It's funny with all the technology we have in the world, I feel what I'm trying to do is simple, yet it's proving quite challenging.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thank you, so its still a case of approach with caution. It's funny with all the technology we have in the world, I feel what I'm trying to do is simple, yet it's proving quite challenging.
Remember, the Clip Zip accepts a microSD card. You should be able to read/write one from your Tab3, and use it in the Zip. No time today, but hopefully I'll remember to test it tomorrow.

Steve

Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This morning, I happened to notice one of my Sansa Clip originals, and thought I would try it with my Tab 2. I tried other things as well, so here is a summary of my adventures.

Clip Original
Note this device does not accept a microSD card.
Worked fine, visible to Tab - note I didn't actually move any files, but I'm positive that I could have.

Clip Plus
Note this device contained a microSD card.
Worked fine, visible to Tab, but I forgot to check for the microSD card.

Clip Zip
OK it's a good morning, let's try that Zip again. Still doesn't work.

Clip Plus try #2
Thought I better check for the microSD card, because I didn't think it had been present.
Now the Clip Plus is not recognized. Did the Zip screw things up?

Reboot, and try #3 with Clip Plus
Worked just fine, the device is recognized by the Tab, but the micro SD card is not. Successfully copied a song from the Clip+ device memory to the microSD card in the Tab2.

Now, if I had thought this through before, I would have realized that this would happen. The Tab can handle a single memory device like a flash drive (USB stick, whatever you call it), but not a dual memory device. The same thing happens with car stereos.

Summary
Get a Clip Plus from somewhere, you stand a better chance than with the Clip Zip. Personally, I won't be using my Tab to manage an mp3 player.

BTW, every time I unplugged one of the players from the Tab, the memory refreshed. Since I didn't update any of them, this wasn't necessary, but obviously all 3 players thought that something might have been updated. Not a big deal for me since I don't have a lot of songs on these players, but a large nuisance for those with their life history on their players.

I don't have Rockbox on any of these players. I can't even guess if that would make a difference.

Steve

Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the report. Candidly, it never would have occurred to me that a Clip player wouldn't play well with a tablet. Will have to explore this further.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 PM

Probably the script it uses only mounts the first drive for each USB device. This is probably hackable if you root and are good with linux, but I'm not sure I'd want to try and figure that out on a tablet.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If he gets rid of his PC, does that mean he can't install rockbox on his clip? My guess he can still do a manual installation of rb by visiting the site and dling what is required via his tablet etc

Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Probably the script it uses only mounts the first drive for each USB device. This is probably hackable if you root and are good with linux, but I'm not sure I'd want to try and figure that out on a tablet.
Saratoga:

Are you talking about Rockbox or the Sansa firmware (or something else)?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Your results make me wonder if having Rockbox would help. There's a setting to hide the internal drive. That helps in cases like when the head unit of a car can only detect a single drive. Hiding the internal drive makes the drive detected the external memory. Hiding the internal drive has also made reconnecting more reliable in the times I've used it.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Saratoga:

Are you talking about Rockbox or the Sansa firmware (or something else)?
On the tablet. There is a rockbox setting that will let you disable the internal storage over USB, but if you wanted to mount both at the same time, and the tablet isn't configured to do it, you'd have to mess with it. The firmware on the player won't make much difference.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Thank you FreeZ5 for your detailed analysis, upon reading futher posts here, I'm getting out of my depth, I laughed at BruceBanner assuming I'm male, I'm a mum of two in my thirties from Ireland with very limited computer knowledge hehe! I was just about managing to keep up with the different types of usb cable but now it's getting very technical. I thought it was better if I went for the clip+ until I realised it would keep updating every time, I'm lost!