android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 07-31-2014, 01:13 AM

Default Replacing clip+ LCD: This is going down. Anyone tried it before? Hopefully?

Background, and usual questions out of the way:

1. It is the LCD itself that is broken and not a software problem. It's in pieces from being run over by a truck (perhaps repetitively), smooshed in the mud, and left in the rain for several weeks. The player still functions fine, but it is very hard to do anything with it without a screen.

2. No, I do not want to buy a new player. Even if I had a free replacement I'd still try to fix this one.

I searched the forum, as best I know how, without success for help on this; all the threads ended quickly in "buy a new one." Surely there are clip hardware gurus here who have tried? I already have the replacement screen from a bricked clip, everything is disassembled on my desk, and I'm willing to purchase a hot air rework station or whatever else is necessary for this operation.

Thanks in advance.
-JG

PS: objection #3: "Why?" Because I like fixing and modifying things. I like acquiring new tools and abilities and putting them to use on custom projects, and I'd really like to get my feet wet on some more advanced electronics repair. Also, I have a bigger and much tougher project in mind if this goes well. Thanks again.

Last edited by BlueDistortions; 07-31-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: replaced a word for accuracy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Can't you just remove the old screen and plug in the new one?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

I'm not 100% sure, because I've never done anything like this, but that doesn't seem to work. I tugged on the ribbon cable as hard as i was comfortable doing. That would be awesome if it did, though. Can anyone confirm this? I assumed it was soldered in place. Should I just pull harder?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:24 PM

there is a lot of rust and grime in there, so I suppose there's a possibility that it does usually slide out but it corroded in place.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Report: the screen is not a plug and play operation, nor does it seem to be soldered, but rather it looks (from my inexperienced perspective) like a capacitive discharge weld with 12 points of contact across the width of a toddler's pinky nail. Honestly, I'm scratching my head on what to do with that. I was ready for my first experience with surface work, but I don't think these types of connection will melt loose before the chips fry. I'll still try something and report back what happens, but there may be a reason I couldn't find a single source on the internet that reported a successful LCD swap.

Tags
broken screen