android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Default Upgrading to full-size headphones. Help needed in making a choice.

Hallo everyone,
I just joined this forum and this is my first time on an audio related forum. Though enjoying music for last 10 years, I'm not an audiophile (Can't be on my allowance ). But recently I'm starting to feel the need for a little higher quality audio.

I'm in need of some experts' opinion to select a pair of headphones. I've been using the creative EP-630 IEM for last two years, and before that a pair of Philips SBCHM500/41 Supra-aural multimedia Headsets. Now want to step up to the full-size headphones world, as IEMs are getting uncomfortable for me lately.

Here's my requirements,
  • My budget is around 2000INR (35$). I'm from Kolkata, India. (JVC not available)
  • I want something circumaural as they seem more comfortable for long use (4 to 5 hours).
  • I need enough isolation to enjoy my movies in peace, so I think closed-style will be good for me.
  • These will be used indoors for mostly music and movies and for occasional gaming.
  • I listen to a wide genre of music. Alternative, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Instrumentals sometimes classical. They are mostly 320kbps MP3 and Flac.
  • I like moderate bass that does not drown out the mids and highs.
  • I know headphones cannot be directly compared to IEMs but I do want something that is an improvement or at least deliver same sound quality as my old pair (creative EP-630).

My sources are these (un-amped),
  1. Philips Go-Gear Spark 2Gb
  2. Xperia U Smartphone
  3. Dell studio 1558

After doing a lot of research I've narrowed it down to these two, Sennheiser 'HD 201' and 'HD 202 MKII'. Now I can't decide which one to buy.

Sennheiser HD201 : More comfortable? I heard it's somewhat lacking in sound.

Sennheiser HD202 : Uncomfortable? Heard it has good bass and can be used with portable players.

So here's the questions,
  1. Which of the above two will you recommend to be used with my sources?
  2. Are there any better pair of headphones in this range?
  3. If anyone is from Kolkata, India can you tell me where I can test the sound of HPs before buying them? All shops here seem to have only sealed items.
  4. Is the skullcandy brand any good? There's a wide range of them on flipkart.

Thanks for reading through my post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
hd201, hd202, india, kolkata, sennheiser