android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Default Upgrading to full-size headphones. Help needed in making a choice.

Hallo everyone,
I just joined this forum and this is my first time on an audio related forum. Though enjoying music for last 10 years, I'm not an audiophile (Can't be on my allowance ). But recently I'm starting to feel the need for a little higher quality audio.

I'm in need of some experts' opinion to select a pair of headphones. I've been using the creative EP-630 IEM for last two years, and before that a pair of Philips SBCHM500/41 Supra-aural multimedia Headsets. Now want to step up to the full-size headphones world, as IEMs are getting uncomfortable for me lately.

Here's my requirements,
  • My budget is around 2000INR (35$). I'm from Kolkata, India. (JVC not available)
  • I want something circumaural as they seem more comfortable for long use (4 to 5 hours).
  • I need enough isolation to enjoy my movies in peace, so I think closed-style will be good for me.
  • These will be used indoors for mostly music and movies and for occasional gaming.
  • I listen to a wide genre of music. Alternative, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Instrumentals sometimes classical. They are mostly 320kbps MP3 and Flac.
  • I like moderate bass that does not drown out the mids and highs.
  • I know headphones cannot be directly compared to IEMs but I do want something that is an improvement or at least deliver same sound quality as my old pair (creative EP-630).

My sources are these (un-amped),
  1. Philips Go-Gear Spark 2Gb
  2. Xperia U Smartphone
  3. Dell studio 1558

After doing a lot of research I've narrowed it down to these two, Sennheiser 'HD 201' and 'HD 202 MKII'. Now I can't decide which one to buy.

Sennheiser HD201 : More comfortable? I heard it's somewhat lacking in sound.

Sennheiser HD202 : Uncomfortable? Heard it has good bass and can be used with portable players.

So here's the questions,
  1. Which of the above two will you recommend to be used with my sources?
  2. Are there any better pair of headphones in this range?
  3. If anyone is from Kolkata, India can you tell me where I can test the sound of HPs before buying them? All shops here seem to have only sealed items.
  4. Is the skullcandy brand any good? There's a wide range of them on flipkart.

Thanks for reading through my post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Hi, both the Sennheisers are quite popular entry-level full-size closed headphones and a lot of people like them. I don't think there is a sound difference between them but I've never heard them myself.

Some other options you could consider:
Panasonic RP-HTF600E
Superlux HD661
KOSS UR55

Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The HD201's are very wimpy sounding without an amp, despite what their specs would suggest....always mystified me. No experience with the 202 though.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmask View Post
Hallo everyone,

Here's my requirements,
  • I need enough isolation to enjoy my movies in peace, so I think closed-style will be good for me.
  • I like moderate bass that does not drown out the mids and highs.
After doing a lot of research I've narrowed it down to these two, Sennheiser 'HD 201' and 'HD 202 MKII'. Now I can't decide which one to buy.

Sennheiser HD201 : More comfortable? I heard it's somewhat lacking in sound.

Sennheiser HD202 : Uncomfortable? Heard it has good bass and can be used with portable players.
I've used both hd202s for the past few years 5 days a week, because they sound reasonably good, take a great load of abuse, and still are pretty durable considering. And they're relatively cheap, so I'm not heartbroken when something happens to them.

I never wear them more than about an hour to 1.5 hours at a time, but it's not like I can't wait to get them off. On the contrary, I leave them on until the last possible moment.

Isolation is pretty good. If your noise sources are in another room, probably not going to be an issue, but if it's some inconsiderate jerk on a cell phone who's a loud talker two feet away, there's not much you can do.

They have really good bass when new, but do get kind of flabby after awhile, but still decent midrange & highs.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The hd202's sound pretty good, and don't need an amp - like the hd201's do. Go with the hd202's,...

Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
Hi, both the Sennheisers are quite popular entry-level full-size closed headphones and a lot of people like them. I don't think there is a sound difference between them but I've never heard them myself.

Some other options you could consider:
Panasonic RP-HTF600E
Superlux HD661
KOSS UR55
Thank you for the suggestions. But the Superlux and KOSS is not available here. As for the Panasonic I can order it online but it costs around 4000INR (72$) here. Thatís over my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
I've used both hd202s for the past few years 5 days a week, because they sound reasonably good, take a great load of abuse, and still are pretty durable considering. And they're relatively cheap, so I'm not heartbroken when something happens to them.

I never wear them more than about an hour to 1.5 hours at a time, but it's not like I can't wait to get them off. On the contrary, I leave them on until the last possible moment.

Isolation is pretty good. If your noise sources are in another room, probably not going to be an issue, but if it's some inconsiderate jerk on a cell phone who's a loud talker two feet away, there's not much you can do.

They have really good bass when new, but do get kind of flabby after awhile, but still decent midrange & highs.
Yes my noise sources are in another room most of the time, so i guess I'll be fine then. My concern was mainly the comfort and sound quality, thanks for clearing that up.
Iíll be going with the HD 202 then.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JVC headphones are on Ebay.in however they are expensive. The HA-S160 Flats for example is at least $32. it is a nice sounding headphone, although at $32 it is more than double the US Amazon price. How much are the HD201 and HD202? The Koss KSC75 is $37 on Ebay.in.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
JVC headphones are on Ebay.in however they are expensive. The HA-S160 Flats for example is at least $32. it is a nice sounding headphone, although at $32 it is more than double the US Amazon price. How much are the HD201 and HD202? The Koss KSC75 is $37 on Ebay.in.

The HD 201 is about 28.5$ and the HD 202 is about 34$ here in local stores. And about the same price on ebay.in or snapdeal.com

Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The hd201 needs an amp, so pass on them.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The hd201 needs an amp, so pass on them.
I have read that statement several times here, but my HD201gets loud enough with my rockboxed clip+.

So why do you say so? What's your setup?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbthetenth View Post
I have read that statement several times here, but my HD201gets loud enough with my rockboxed clip+.

It will get loud enough, but since it's underpowered it's missing some of its "oomph".

As for my setup, it varies dependent of my mood. I sometimes amp, sometimes not,...

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbthetenth View Post

Loudness, though the most obvious way, isn't the only way to determine if headphones should be driven with an amp.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

An amp, with harder to drive headphones, isn't always about volume. It's also to provide the adequate power to allow the headphones to perform the way they should.

I personally never listen to music at loud volumes,...so having an amp isn't to rattle my brains, it's to make my music sound correct with harder to drive cans.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM

I got the HD 202 today. Really nice sound and meets all my requirements perfectly. Easily driven by my mobile and the go-gear.Thank you for all the help everyone.

Tags
hd201, hd202, india, kolkata, sennheiser