android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Angry Ever since I tried using a micro SD card, my Sansa Clip has ceased working

I got the Sansa Clip, and my friend gave me a micro SD card full of music. I stuck the card into the slot and it immediately went to the "Refreshing your media" thing. It froze at about 10% in, so I took the card out and shut it off. I turned it on again, and it went back to the "Refreshing your media" page and wouldn't load past 10%. Sometimes, it won't even turn on.
I tried resetting it, letting the battery die, and deleting all my music, but every time I turn it on, it goes straight to "Refreshing your media." The bar is ALWAYS about 10% in.
Is there anything else I could try?
It's been well over a month since I bought this mp3. Since I bought it to use at camp, I couldn't return it, and I'm not sure I can return it now.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not jumping the gun, but keep in the back of your mind that you have a warranty on the player--1 year in the U.S., 2 years in the EU. At least SanDisk in the U.S. has been good with warranty replacements (and even covers the shipping both ways)--and it's easy enough to arrange through a tollfree telephone call to SanDisk Customer Service in the U.S.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Administrator

You could try deleting everything on the player. That can be done safely without losing the firmware. What you see isn't the firmware. That's on a hidden partition in the internal memory and can't be deleted. The files you see will be rebuilt when the player boots again.

I'd also use whatever disk checking facility you have as part of your operating system to check for file system problems. The error message for a corrupt file system is usually about not enough space to refresh the database but that may still be the problem.

You can also format the player. That will erase all files, except the firmware, and should also fix any file system problems. I mention that last because formatting writes to every sector of the flash memory and uses up some of the write cycles of the player. The number of write cycles is large but finite so I always save that as a last resort.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmexists View Post
I got the Sansa Clip, and my friend gave me a micro SD card full of music. I stuck the card into the slot and it immediately went to the "Refreshing your media" thing. It froze at about 10% in, so I took the card out and shut it off. I turned it on again, and it went back to the "Refreshing your media" page and wouldn't load past 10%. Sometimes, it won't even turn on.
I tried resetting it, letting the battery die, and deleting all my music, but every time I turn it on, it goes straight to "Refreshing your media." The bar is ALWAYS about 10% in.
Is there anything else I could try?
It's been well over a month since I bought this mp3. Since I bought it to use at camp, I couldn't return it, and I'm not sure I can return it now.
Will it connect and be recognized by your computer? If so, follow skip's recommendations. If not let us know and you'll have to follow another course of action.

Edit: keep the card out of it when connecting. Unfortunately there could be corrupt files on it and it needs to be fixed if possible. If errors on the card that caused your FW to fail can't be fixed, then you might have to format it as well.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hopefully, you'll be able to try the above fixes with the micro card out of the player. If so and if putting the card back in again causes issue, there's an issue with the card and/or its content.

Just a thought, but: can you run an error check on the card, with the card in a separate reader connected to your computer?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was wondering if the card he was given was out of a cell phone could there be files on there that are causing the problem?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I was wondering if the card he was given was out of a cell phone could there be files on there that are causing the problem?
A good point--some people have reported that issue. The solution has been to reformat the card from the phone itself--formatting the card from a PC or the Clip hasn't worked.

Tags
micro sd card, sandisk sansa clip, sansa clip