android
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM

I am very tempted by the GS3 and especially the Note2. ATT and Verizon's pricing on service is just so expensive I cannot stomach it. And the other guys, Sprint, etc, provide terrible service in my area. I'm doing fine with dumbphone + SGP5.0. Just want better hardware and current android.

Perhaps I just wait and find a refurbished Note2 in a couple of months and use it without contract. Bet that ends up costing $500. but then you've got state of the art everything and a quad core 1.7 gHz procesor.

Or perhaps this Player from Korea-Mars finally shows up in USA a year from now with a camera flash and Jelly Bean android. Most likely it will show up a year from now with gingerbread!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Samsung release this already so i can replace my galaxy player 5.0 with the 5.8!! take my money already and release this to America!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM

The 64 GB micro SDXC card works on the galaxy player 5.8. I was watching a movie on it the other day and I thought the picture was pretty good.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM

It's almost enough to make me want to walk (sheep-like) over to the Apple Pharm.
But I'm sticking to it...
ANYTHING but ipod.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM

I see new unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on ebay , 16 gigs, 2 gigs ram, for $650.
By mid summer when (maybe) the SGP5.8 get's to USA, that will probably be down to $550 and seems to be a much better bet for the same money. And, if you really want to, take it to ATT or TMob and hook it up with no -contract for phone and data. $500 for no possibility of getting data and worse specs than the Galaxy Note 2 does not seem great. For the same price as the previous Player series (@ $250) it would be a great deal. At twice the price, for me? Not. Plus, if major updates or new revision of android is issued by ATT, you can go sign up for a month-to-month...get the OTA update...and split.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
By mid summer when (maybe) the SGP5.8 get's to USA, that will probably be down to $550 and seems to be a much better bet for the same money. And, if you really want to, take it to ATT or TMob and hook it up with no -contract for phone and data. $500 for no possibility of getting data and worse specs than the Galaxy Note 2 does not seem great. For the same price as the previous Player series (@ $250) it would be a great deal. At twice the price, for me? Not. Plus, if major updates or new revision of android is issued by ATT, you can go sign up for a month-to-month...get the OTA update...and split.
It seems that the Galaxy Players will always be the hardware from the previous generation, compared to the phones. Note 2 has double the RAM, a much better screen, and a much better CPU.....it's a no-brainer over the 5.8.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Buy a previous generation Samsung AMOLED phone used (SGS2 or SGS) and have a very capable media player with *huge* XDA developer support.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Buy a previous generation Samsung AMOLED phone used (SGS2 or SGS) and have a very capable media player with *huge* XDA developer support.
Problem: I want the 5"-6" screen. Unless this thing gets' released for $300-350, I'm probably going to wait until the summer when used/refurb Galaxy Note 2 units will begin showing up on ebay.

It's really amusing almost...Samsung's attitude with these. It's diametrically opposed to the Apple and Samsung's promo and release-date hype and "line down the street" phenomenon. In this case it's like "who the heck knows when we'll release it...or IF we ever will. You can wait in line or fly to Bangladesh to purchase one...what the heck to we care."

Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 AM

If it had a better GPU, higher display resolution, and sub-$300 price tag, I would buy it.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTehk17 View Post
If it had a better GPU, higher display resolution, and sub-$300 price tag, I would buy it.
Yeah- that's a lot of IFs...and it's not going to happen. Wait till the Galaxy Note 3 comes out in summer, or until the Galaxy S4 comes out in April and buy a Note 2 or S3 unlocked, at "reduced" price. that's my plan. Then if I can envision making $100/month payments to AT&T, maybe hook it up later.

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah- that's a lot of IFs...and it's not going to happen. Wait till the Galaxy Note 3 comes out in summer, or until the Galaxy S4 comes out in April and buy a Note 2 or S3 unlocked, at "reduced" price. that's my plan. Then if I can envision making $100/month payments to AT&T, maybe hook it up later.

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.
Then you may be interested in this. According to AA there is going to be a SGN 8.0

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-specs-148148/

Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
Then you may be interested in this. According to AA there is going to be a SGN 8.0

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-specs-148148/
If Blackdog doesn't want to carry around a 7.0 daily because it is just a little too big, then I suspect an 8.0 would not fill the bill either....

Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If Blackdog doesn't want to carry around a 7.0 daily because it is just a little too big, then I suspect an 8.0 would not fill the bill either....
Exactly what i was thinking when i read that.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You could use the unlocked phone on Straight talk. It cost $45 (unlimited talk, unlimited minutes and about 2GB of unthrottled data) a month and you can choose which towers you want the phone to run on by selecting a T-Mobile sim card or AT&T sim card.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

Smile

Quote:

According to AA Samsung is planning on showcasing more than the SGN 8.0 at MWC 2013. They are supposedly going to release a full hd galaxy tab 7.0 among others
Hopefully some new galaxy players will also be announced

Here's the link
http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...1-2013-148929/

New updated articles
http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...pixels-149924/

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-price-149809/

Last edited by lollicup04; 01-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM

that would be so awesome $150-199 for a 7in. tab. well i want to look at the specs first.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
not big enough

Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoy88 View Post
You could use the unlocked phone on Straight talk. It cost $45 (unlimited talk, unlimited minutes and about 2GB of unthrottled data) a month and you can choose which towers you want the phone to run on by selecting a T-Mobile sim card or AT&T sim card.
REALLY?! That's an attractive package. Assuming only 3G data though, correct? And essentially it's using all of ATT's towers, so there would not be any coverage difference between this setup and regular ATT coverage?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Man, I wish they'd just release a 5" or 6" tablet already. EVERYONE's doing the 7"-8"...they could just hedge their bets by issuing a 6"...

I'd much rather do that, for around $200, than getting an unlocked Galaxy Note 2 for $650!

I'm getting a bit obsessed by this , I know, but the Player series is just a dead concept. With most people having smartphones now, and everyone having tablets, the Player is just irrelevant. So it seems there could be a niche for a smaller tablet, but NOBODY other than Archos, is making any tablet with current Android under the 7" threshold. (even they might not have anything with ICE or Jelly Bean).

Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Sorry for necroposting but I just read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedisolo View Post
The 64 GB micro SDXC card works on the galaxy player 5.8. I was watching a movie on it the other day and I thought the picture was pretty good.
So a 64GB card works ? I recall reading on the box that only 32GB and smaller ones would work so I bought a 32GB one. And now it is full.
So can you confirm that every bit of your 64GB card is recognized so I replace my 32GB card with a 64GB one ?

Tags
5.8, galaxy player, samsung, yp-gp1