android
  #101  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

I am very tempted by the GS3 and especially the Note2. ATT and Verizon's pricing on service is just so expensive I cannot stomach it. And the other guys, Sprint, etc, provide terrible service in my area. I'm doing fine with dumbphone + SGP5.0. Just want better hardware and current android.

Perhaps I just wait and find a refurbished Note2 in a couple of months and use it without contract. Bet that ends up costing $500. but then you've got state of the art everything and a quad core 1.7 gHz procesor.

Or perhaps this Player from Korea-Mars finally shows up in USA a year from now with a camera flash and Jelly Bean android. Most likely it will show up a year from now with gingerbread!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #102  
Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM
mika558's Avatar
mika558 mika558 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Samsung release this already so i can replace my galaxy player 5.0 with the 5.8!! take my money already and release this to America!
Reply With Quote

  #103  
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
jedisolo jedisolo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
Default

The 64 GB micro SDXC card works on the galaxy player 5.8. I was watching a movie on it the other day and I thought the picture was pretty good.
Reply With Quote

  #104  
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

It's almost enough to make me want to walk (sheep-like) over to the Apple Pharm.
But I'm sticking to it...
ANYTHING but ipod.
Reply With Quote

  #105  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

I see new unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on ebay , 16 gigs, 2 gigs ram, for $650.
By mid summer when (maybe) the SGP5.8 get's to USA, that will probably be down to $550 and seems to be a much better bet for the same money. And, if you really want to, take it to ATT or TMob and hook it up with no -contract for phone and data. $500 for no possibility of getting data and worse specs than the Galaxy Note 2 does not seem great. For the same price as the previous Player series (@ $250) it would be a great deal. At twice the price, for me? Not. Plus, if major updates or new revision of android is issued by ATT, you can go sign up for a month-to-month...get the OTA update...and split.
Reply With Quote

  #106  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I see new unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on ebay , 16 gigs, 2 gigs ram, for $650.
By mid summer when (maybe) the SGP5.8 get's to USA, that will probably be down to $550 and seems to be a much better bet for the same money. And, if you really want to, take it to ATT or TMob and hook it up with no -contract for phone and data. $500 for no possibility of getting data and worse specs than the Galaxy Note 2 does not seem great. For the same price as the previous Player series (@ $250) it would be a great deal. At twice the price, for me? Not. Plus, if major updates or new revision of android is issued by ATT, you can go sign up for a month-to-month...get the OTA update...and split.
It seems that the Galaxy Players will always be the hardware from the previous generation, compared to the phones. Note 2 has double the RAM, a much better screen, and a much better CPU.....it's a no-brainer over the 5.8.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #107  
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
TexasRockbox TexasRockbox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA (guess the state ;-) )
Posts: 218
Default

Buy a previous generation Samsung AMOLED phone used (SGS2 or SGS) and have a very capable media player with *huge* XDA developer support.
Reply With Quote

  #108  
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Buy a previous generation Samsung AMOLED phone used (SGS2 or SGS) and have a very capable media player with *huge* XDA developer support.
Problem: I want the 5"-6" screen. Unless this thing gets' released for $300-350, I'm probably going to wait until the summer when used/refurb Galaxy Note 2 units will begin showing up on ebay.

It's really amusing almost...Samsung's attitude with these. It's diametrically opposed to the Apple and Samsung's promo and release-date hype and "line down the street" phenomenon. In this case it's like "who the heck knows when we'll release it...or IF we ever will. You can wait in line or fly to Bangladesh to purchase one...what the heck to we care."
Reply With Quote

  #109  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 AM
TheTehk17 TheTehk17 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15
Default

If it had a better GPU, higher display resolution, and sub-$300 price tag, I would buy it.
Reply With Quote

  #110  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTehk17 View Post
If it had a better GPU, higher display resolution, and sub-$300 price tag, I would buy it.
Yeah- that's a lot of IFs...and it's not going to happen. Wait till the Galaxy Note 3 comes out in summer, or until the Galaxy S4 comes out in April and buy a Note 2 or S3 unlocked, at "reduced" price. that's my plan. Then if I can envision making $100/month payments to AT&T, maybe hook it up later.

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.
Reply With Quote

  #111  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
lollicup04 lollicup04 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Yeah- that's a lot of IFs...and it's not going to happen. Wait till the Galaxy Note 3 comes out in summer, or until the Galaxy S4 comes out in April and buy a Note 2 or S3 unlocked, at "reduced" price. that's my plan. Then if I can envision making $100/month payments to AT&T, maybe hook it up later.

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.
Then you may be interested in this. According to AA there is going to be a SGN 8.0

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-specs-148148/
Reply With Quote

  #112  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
Then you may be interested in this. According to AA there is going to be a SGN 8.0

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-specs-148148/
If Blackdog doesn't want to carry around a 7.0 daily because it is just a little too big, then I suspect an 8.0 would not fill the bill either....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #113  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
brosko brosko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If Blackdog doesn't want to carry around a 7.0 daily because it is just a little too big, then I suspect an 8.0 would not fill the bill either....
Exactly what i was thinking when i read that.
Reply With Quote

  #114  
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
BlackBoy88 BlackBoy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I see new unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on ebay , 16 gigs, 2 gigs ram, for $650.
By mid summer when (maybe) the SGP5.8 get's to USA, that will probably be down to $550 and seems to be a much better bet for the same money. And, if you really want to, take it to ATT or TMob and hook it up with no -contract for phone and data. $500 for no possibility of getting data and worse specs than the Galaxy Note 2 does not seem great. For the same price as the previous Player series (@ $250) it would be a great deal. At twice the price, for me? Not. Plus, if major updates or new revision of android is issued by ATT, you can go sign up for a month-to-month...get the OTA update...and split.
You could use the unlocked phone on Straight talk. It cost $45 (unlimited talk, unlimited minutes and about 2GB of unthrottled data) a month and you can choose which towers you want the phone to run on by selecting a T-Mobile sim card or AT&T sim card.
Reply With Quote

  #115  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
lollicup04 lollicup04 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Yeah- that's a lot of IFs...and it's not going to happen. Wait till the Galaxy Note 3 comes out in summer, or until the Galaxy S4 comes out in April and buy a Note 2 or S3 unlocked, at "reduced" price. that's my plan. Then if I can envision making $100/month payments to AT&T, maybe hook it up later.

I keep waiting for there to be some announcement of a Galaxy TAB 6.0! That would really be the bomb (or is it "the schizzle these days?) . The 7.0 is almost perfect but just big enough that it's not going to be on my belt or in my pocket - which is really what I need for my daily device. Too bad.
According to AA Samsung is planning on showcasing more than the SGN 8.0 at MWC 2013. They are supposedly going to release a full hd galaxy tab 7.0 among others
Hopefully some new galaxy players will also be announced

Here's the link
http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...1-2013-148929/

New updated articles
http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...pixels-149924/

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...-price-149809/

Last edited by lollicup04; 01-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #116  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
2kitties 2kitties is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 200
Default

that would be so awesome $150-199 for a 7in. tab. well i want to look at the specs first.
Reply With Quote

  #117  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Buy a previous generation Samsung AMOLED phone used (SGS2 or SGS) and have a very capable media player with *huge* XDA developer support.
not big enough
Reply With Quote

  #118  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoy88 View Post
You could use the unlocked phone on Straight talk. It cost $45 (unlimited talk, unlimited minutes and about 2GB of unthrottled data) a month and you can choose which towers you want the phone to run on by selecting a T-Mobile sim card or AT&T sim card.
REALLY?! That's an attractive package. Assuming only 3G data though, correct? And essentially it's using all of ATT's towers, so there would not be any coverage difference between this setup and regular ATT coverage?
Reply With Quote

  #119  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

Man, I wish they'd just release a 5" or 6" tablet already. EVERYONE's doing the 7"-8"...they could just hedge their bets by issuing a 6"...

I'd much rather do that, for around $200, than getting an unlocked Galaxy Note 2 for $650!

I'm getting a bit obsessed by this , I know, but the Player series is just a dead concept. With most people having smartphones now, and everyone having tablets, the Player is just irrelevant. So it seems there could be a niche for a smaller tablet, but NOBODY other than Archos, is making any tablet with current Android under the 7" threshold. (even they might not have anything with ICE or Jelly Bean).
Reply With Quote

  #120  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Hayleia Hayleia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Sorry for necroposting but I just read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedisolo View Post
The 64 GB micro SDXC card works on the galaxy player 5.8. I was watching a movie on it the other day and I thought the picture was pretty good.
So a 64GB card works ? I recall reading on the box that only 32GB and smaller ones would work so I bought a 32GB one. And now it is full.
So can you confirm that every bit of your 64GB card is recognized so I replace my 32GB card with a 64GB one ?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
5.8, galaxy player, samsung, yp-gp1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.