android
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Anyone ever get random rebooting?

I had it happen twice this morning. Nothing running, battery at 80%, no previous activity except checking email...I see the samsung splash screen running. Hmmm...interesting. Half hour later, same thing. Just decided to reboot itself.

Anyone take a guess at this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM

My SGP 5.0 has rebooted itself on me twice since I've owned it. Both times where when I was playing a game, it started to lag more and more until the screen just froze and it rebooted. I just figured I was running it too hard and it must have overheated.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Got it several times running Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM v2.1 when i start watching flash video.

sigh if only the galaxy note was a bit cheaper

Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think it has only happened to me once.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

only had it happen on my 4.0 when a program caused it to freeze up and so it reboots never have I seen it do it on its own with no interaction from me overtaxing the hardware.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM

On my unrooted device, never. (knock on wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcistheking View Post
sigh if only the galaxy note was a bit cheaper
Make that alot cheaper, like under $400 for an unlocked one. And with ICS already on it.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 PM

I should add that I am not rooted. And running GoLauncher.
Just weird. First time this started happening since I first got it in December.
Today I had it just turn completely off without the reboot on it's own after I had just used it to check email.

When I manually started it again, everything opened in landscape mode and despite shaking would not revert to standard portrait mode...even though "Auto-Rotation" was on. Had to reboot to get normal portrait.

Makes me think there's some app that's messing things up since this is the ONLY problem I have ever had with the device. I also just moved a bunch of apps to the "SD Card" so perhaps that is making things glitchy. However none of this weirdness comes after using a certain app. Most of the time it's just idling doing nothing when this occurs. It only seems to have happened when I am on my work wifi. I wonder if there's something funny going on there.

All guesswork.
What will I lose if I reset the device to Factory Defaults? Will apps get moved back to core memory?

Although this probably belongs in another thread, if one were to get an unlocked AT&T Galaxy Note or the soon-to-be-released Galaxy S3, (assuming that would be on AT&T), could you just add a SIM from an existing voice-only phone and then have a device with wifi-only data and voice-only, but no data plan/3G/4G? Would that work?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Happened to me 4-5 times this afternoon while geocaching...

But usually, it reboots about once a week...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 PM

mine rebooted a couple of times once when I dropped it behind my bed, when I reached down to get it the samsung logo was up on the screen and frozen but I held the power button and rebooted fine. Other times I was playing games or not really much of anything. Its been fine for more than a month now though

Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM

I made a thread about this issue before.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66739

I haven't seen it happen lately.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM

Guesswork indeed! If anyone figures a way to diagnose these please post. My unrooted international 5.0 does it several times a week with no regular discernible pattern - sometimes multiple times in a day, then maybe several days days without incident. Usually happens when the device is "sleeping" in my pocket and I suddenly hear the reboot audio. Doesn't usually create much of a problem, but it really shouldn't do this.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 AM

It's only happened to me once really.. it started lagging and then just rebooted.

Android isn't the most stable OS ever, so I'm pretty happy with just the once. Oh, and I wasn't running the stock ROM or kernel when it happened. Stock was dead stable for me.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 AM

I wonder if it has something to do with RAM corruption caused by some memory leaks in a poorly coded app or something?

I have had maybe 3 of these reboots since getting my 4.0 a couple of months ago. Mine is rooted, modded, and I have a ridiculous number of apps installed, so I know I'm pushing the system to its limits, and the reboots are pretty rare. I don't realy worry about it -- heck, even the most expensive PC will randomly reboot sometimes if you have lots of stuff installed.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM

memory leaks and android are very possible.. i know the current facebook app it a major contributor to this.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 AM

I've just recently started having this problem after the Youtube app went through some updates to its user interface.

From what I've observed, random rebooting only happens while using the Youtube app. I have had the Samsung Galaxy media player 4 since about January of this year and this is the first time it's started to act up.