android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM

Default Which headphones are tne better set

Which are better the Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones
Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Depends on what kinds of music you're listening to.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM

And your hearing and sound preferences.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM

I listen to Rap Rock anything in the bass field.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Despite their overall great fidelity, I personally found the SRH840's bass distinctly lacking in impact. I wouldn't choose them for bass-oriented music, myself. I haven't heard the ATH-A900X, so I unfortunately can't offer an opinion on those.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM

I have a Cowon X9 does that mean that BBE effects would rock ths set of headphones or does it mean I need an Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Despite their overall great fidelity, I personally found the SRH840's bass distinctly lacking in impact. I wouldn't choose them for bass-oriented music, myself. I haven't heard the ATH-A900X, so I unfortunately can't offer an opinion on those.
Also thought about the Future sonics Atrios MG7 Pro, dont know if they can compete but I have big ears and that is a problem for these IEMs

Last edited by skip252; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of adding another one a few minutes later

Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The A900X has a nice controlled and tight bass but they don't have the impact like you would get from bassy phones. So they have good quality bass but not the quantity you'd get from bass phones.

I think most FR charts have it pretty flat across. Everything else has great clarity and detail. The main difference between the two may be that the A900x will have a larger soundstage. It feels very airy for closed phones. Its not as airy as the AD900. It also has good in instrument separation and resolution. These extend to the high end very well, and to me on some tracks can be borderline sibilant. Especially with female vocals.
Listening to Titanium and the bass here has good impact but not overpowering the vocals and the synth in the upper range.

Something like Otherside, you can definitely hear the different bass chords from Flea, but once the vocals kick in, it gets hidden a bit, you can still hear it but once the chorus kicks in you can definitely hear it but its still not up front.

All this is probably useless if you're trying to compare the two since I haven't listened to the SRH840 and can only make comparisons relative of other phones I own. Anyway, I listen to alot of rock, punk, alt/indie pop/rock, EDM and classical and these sound great in all genres. If you need bass to take away your breath then you probably need to look at other phones. Check out bestbuy some best buys have the A900x to demo.

Quote:
Also thought about the Future sonics Atrios MG7 Pro, dont know if they can compete but I have big ears and that is a problem for these IEMs
You just need to find the right tip for a good seal. I'd think bigger ears are better than small ears for IEMs since you only need to go up in tip size. Bass-wise I think IEMs give more bass for the money. I have a brainwavz M5 that's a bit on the warm side. Much bassier than my A900x but still balanced. Its all about a good seal. I tried my friend's iBeats, its even bassier than the M5, but its a bit bloated and bleeds into mids. Makes the mids muddier and less defined. Tracks sounded darker overall and not as airy. It had decent extension but I think the M5 had better treble response. I also have TDK IE800 and BA200 and both are more balanced in comparison to the M5 and iBeats. They still have more bass quantity than my A900x, but I still prefer the A900x for overall clarity/resolution.

TLDR; Bass quantity: iBeats >M5 >BA200 >=IE800 > A900x
Bass Quality: A900x > BA200/IE800 > M5 > iBeats.

Last edited by vashta_nerada; 04-12-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM

The Audio Technica AXXXX line is known for not being ideal for bassheads. Generally speaking, they try to follow the Audio Technica "Air" sound signature ie. they are very detailed, fast and well extended, but the bass is neutral at best.

The Shure SRH840 is a monitoring headphone that is just a little warmer than neutral. I think they are great for bass fans; however, they are also very uncomfortable for many people (myself included), as they are quite heavy and put more pressure on the top of the head than is ideal.

If you're looking for a bass-oriented closed headphone, I'd say you should also consider the Beyerdynamic DT770. It is more or less in the same price range. Also, don't forget about the Audio Technica ATH-M50, it might not be very popular right now but is still IMO the best headphone at its price.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Something made in the last 3 years wouild be nice.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ATH-M50 and DT770 are still made. If you meant "something that debuted in the last 3 years," I'm not sure why that matters. It's not like headphone technology advances at such a breakneck pace that what came out 4 years ago is automatically crap compared to what was created yesterday. But if that's your criteria, that's your criteria...

I'd actually forgotten about the ATH-M50, and I agree that it's an excellent choice for bass-focused music (without making too many compromises elsewhere in the sound).

EDIT: For something bleeding edge (in terms of having just recently been released in Japan), the Audio Technica ATH-WS99 "Solid Bass" headphones have been getting some very favorable user reviews...

Last edited by epithetless; 04-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Ill have to give the Sennheiser Momentum Headphone a shot

Last edited by MEGAKILL; 04-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You are a man of many words, my friend.

If you're going the Momentum route, you should consider the V-MODA M100 as well. Currently my go-to portable cans. Very nice, full, elevated-but-not-bloated bass presentation, with impressive clarity given its smooth and "fun" (read: non-neutral) sound signature. Also: made in the last 3 years.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You are a man of many words, my friend.

If you're going the Momentum route, you should consider the V-MODA M100 as well. Currently my go-to portable cans. Very nice, full, elevated-but-not-bloated bass presentation, with impressive clarity given its smooth and "fun" (read: non-neutral) sound signature. Also: made in the last 3 years.
How do they compare to the fabled HA-S500?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM

I had these 2 on my list German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor Headphone and Sony MDR-1R but have to go to B&H to test them out.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Went to Best Buy they had the Soul by Ludicris sl300 headphones for 115.00 but were sold out

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 AM

^Were you seriously considering those? :O

Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM

I think you're way off on your shortlist. With the music you listen to, these phones won't cut in the bass region, quantity-wise. Consider some DJ headphones like the TMA-1 or the K518 LE, or some casual portables like the ATH-WS55, M80 etc. From the IEM realm, there is the Hippo VB, CX300, and my personal favorite, the FX700. stray away from things with a celebrity's name embedded on it if I were you.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Let him get his ludacris cans,...he seems to take offense if you challenge his opinion,...

Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM

It aint happenin DK your not spoilin my posts

Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No one's ruining your posts, but your ruining your own cred by posting info about garbage. Simple as that,...