android
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Music on SDHC not showing up

I have been fooling around with a friend's Sansa Clip for the past few hours. She only has a 2GB player but just over 3GB of music so I decided to use a 16GB SDHC card I had lying around.

At first, I decided to just throw music on the card via my card reader. The player couldn't see the music but did recognize the card. I have tried numerous different variations of putting the music straight onto the card. I have changed the ID3 tags as my research into this problem has suggested. I have tried putting the device into MSC and MTP modes, each coming to the same problem. I have attempted putting the music onto the card with it plugged into the player while in MSC using windows explorer. I have tried to use Media Player to transfer the music in MTP mode. Nothing I have tried has worked. In fact, I have run into some, in my opinion, pretty interesting problems.

If the device is set to MSC and the card is in the player, my computer asks me to format the drive when I plug it in. I have attempted to format, yet it shows no information on the drive itself. If I attempt the format anyway, I instantly get a dialog box telling me Windows cannot format the drive. If I attempt to enter the drive through explorer it tells me to insert disc. If I use my card reader to view the contents of the card, there are no problems. I have full read/write access, etc etc. I have used SDFormatter to format the card, so I know it doesn't need to be formatted.

If the device is in MTP and the card is in the player, explorer shows me two entries under Sansa Clip; Internal Memory and External uSD card. Through explorer I have read access to both the internal memory and the SD card. If I attempt to drag/drop a file to the card via explorer it tells me "You do not have permission to create this item." If I try to use Media Player to transfer files to the card it errors out and tells me "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

The device is up to date with the latest firmware and I just don't understand what in the name of God is going wrong here. I have transferred a few sample files into internal memory just to troubleshoot the files as being the problem and they work flawlessly when in internal memory.

I have put music files onto the card and tried using it in my Android phone and it reads and plays flawlessly, so I would assume that rules out a bad card.

What am I missing and is there anything else I can do? I'm almost ready to set fire to this thing!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

my first comment is ...have you tried a second micro card?

Other than that, you have tried everything that I would have. Actually probably more than I would have.

Steve

Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

The card may not be bad. The symptoms you describe are what I've seen when there are file system errors. Try using the Windows error checking facility to check the card for errors. File system errors are sometimes bad to the point where the card can't be formatted.

I've seen file system errors come from a number of things. The most common is not safely disconnecting by making sure all file transfers are complete. I've also ran into problems when I removed a card from my camera while it was still powered up. It seems the camera was still accessing the card even though there were no outward signs of any activity. I don't know what formatting your phone may have done but I wonder if that may be a possible cause of the problem.
If that straightens things out I'd try to backtrack and figure out where the file system problem started. I have usually been able to figure out what caused the problem but not always. There's been times when the file system has gone wacky on a card or player for no apparent reason.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM

FreeZ5:

I did not try a 2nd SD card as I don't have a 2nd one to try. It would have most certainly have been on my troubleshooting list though. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

skip252:

I DID forget to mention that one of the first things I did was run the windows error checking utility. No problems were found. Before I even began trying to transfer the files I wanted to format as I had been using the card in my Android and wanted to make 100% sure it was FAT32. Also, and this is probably a newbie question, but wouldn't formatting the card remove the possibility of file system errors?

And as far as Android messing with the file system, (again, this is assuming a format would fix file system errors) I formatted the card each time I attempted to put music on the card as it only takes a few seconds. Kind of like a control; have a freshly formatted card for each attempt. Rule out the possibility of any pre-existing errors which could have been created by the previous attempt.

Also, being that I am fully able to read/write when using the card reader/Android, could a problem with the file system still be present?