android
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Amp?

So after I left my Samsung YP-P3 under an open attic window and a thunderstorm rolled in (I still can't sleep at night), and the battery now lasting a grand total of 20 minutes, I'm upgrading my entire setup. And I actually mean it this time, I've made a bunch of these threads before but this time I am actually replacing my setup.

Also, don't feel bad for the P3 - only 15% of the screen worked anyway due to dead spots. It was nearly inoperable and Samsung didn't want to know.

Current ideas for upgrades are as follows:

Cowon iAudio 10 32GB
You may just say get a J3 but they've unfortunately been discontinued and I have no real desire for a touchscreen player, I don't use it for videos, I just want Cowon sound quality. Plus, I like touch sensitive controls.

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Been recommended these headphones time and time again, I think they'll be great.

However:

1. Is this a good combination?
2. Will I need a headphone amp? If yes, any recommendations?

After the headphones (£134) and the player (£150), I'll have approximately £40-£60 to spend on an amp.

If my taste is relevant:

Quote:
I'm into ambient, doom metal, black metal, post-rock and instrumental, including:
Black Swan, Anathema, Esoteric, Eluvium, Jakob, Hammock, Earth, Stars of the Lid, Evoken, Mournful Congregation, Biosphere, Emuul, This Will Destroy You, Jesu, Grouper, Wodensthrone, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, maudlin of the Well, Agalloch, Brian Eno, Years Of Rice And Salt, Ahab, Two People In A Room, Motion Sickness of Time Travel, Alrakis, Krallice, Deathspell Omega, Weakling, Swans, Gregor Samsa, Tarentel, Rosetta, Blut Aus Nord, Summoning, Mar De Grises, The Evpatoria Report, Tim Hecker, My Dying Bride, Burzum, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Skepticism, The Necks, God Is An Astronaut, Wolves in the Throne Room, Macabre, Sigur Rós, Sólstafir, Asva, Melvins, Ulver.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/DragonBottles
Also hey guys, long time no see.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You won't need an amp, as we've stated time & again, with the M50's. Especially with the i10.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM

You have? Sorry, I guess I should have searched. Thanks anyway, though.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't think twice about not knowing about the advice that you don't need an amp with the ATH-M50. You can't search the term "amp" on this site. The site software won't search any term 3 characters or less.

Truth is a lot places you go on the 'net will tell you a portable player can't drive a set of full size cans "properly". People will go on about how an amp will make everything sound better. Just remember it's an amp, not a sound improver.

For more on what an amp actually does you can look at this sticky. You'll notice there are several precautions about what an amp can and doesn't do. I think that's a more realistic approach than the advice to indiscriminately amp every setup.

IMO the best way to decide is to get the setup minus the amp and listen. If it's loud enough, you won't need an amp.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll get everything else first. I just wanted to make sure.