android
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well from my experience on screen keyboards have been a bit problematic. Not knowing when one shows up, when one hides the content of a web page and how one can be put away. With older android phones it was easy with the menu button but now? Its just a additional frustration that would be great to not have to deal with

Bluetooth keyboards are much the same, the requirement of pairing, charging connecting and troubleshooting is all just more then necessary. I mean even I don't like how Bluetooth keyboards work and I've tried plenty.

Note: I'm not saying on screen keyboards are terrible, I'm just saying having a readily available keyboard that would work instantly would be great. Something like the iPad keyboard dock or the Asus Transformer keyboard, and possibly the windows 8 keyboard flap.

Last edited by Jack4L; 07-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Looks like a winner:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...ic-200-tablet/

Feeling better about having preordered this. Tablets may not actually be useful, but at least the Nexus will be fun to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Well from my experience on screen keyboards have been a bit problematic. Not knowing when one shows up, when one hides the content of a web page and how one can be put away. With older android phones it was easy with the menu button but now?
In Jelly Bean, one of the soft keys turns into a down arrow whenever the keyboard is up. You hit that and it flips away the keyboard.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Well from my experience on screen keyboards have been a bit problematic. Not knowing when one shows up, when one hides the content of a web page and how one can be put away. With older android phones it was easy with the menu button but now? Its just a additional frustration that would be great to not have to deal with

Bluetooth keyboards are much the same, the requirement of pairing, charging connecting and troubleshooting is all just more then necessary. I mean even I don't like how Bluetooth keyboards work and I've tried plenty.

Note: I'm not saying on screen keyboards are terrible, I'm just saying having a readily available keyboard that would work instantly would be great. Something like the iPad keyboard dock or the Asus Transformer keyboard, and possibly the windows 8 keyboard flap.
Valid points.

I believe with Jellybean there is now an arrow button at the bottom of the screen to pop up the menu buttons when they hide which makes functionality a lot easier for a lot of cases including quickly accessing the keyboard.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Got mine. The Nexus 7 is seriously fast.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Just curious, how easy is it to get media on and of the device that is not from Google Play? I assume you can drag and drop through the USB cable? Can you sync via Bluetooth? I've got a few movies and a lot of tunes

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
Just curious, how easy is it to get media on and of the device that is not from Google Play? I assume you can drag and drop through the USB cable? Can you sync via Bluetooth? I've got a few movies and a lot of tunes

Thanks.
Yeah drag and drop through USB, or download via chrome/apps. The built in media app automatically scans the disk for video. I downloaded some youtube videos to the internal storage to watch while traveling and it picked the up and added them to the library.

I also tried installing VLC, but I don't think the beta has been updated for Jelly Bean yet so it wouldn't launch.

----

I'm actually kind of amazed how much faster this is then JB on the Galaxy Nexus. Everything is just so much quicker. Apps launch faster, Chrome loads pages faster, and evereything is smooth. Makes me wonder if theres something wrong with the JB ROM on my Galaxy.

But yeah, if you were thinking about getting a portable media player or tablet, and you don't want something iPad sized, this is the device to get. Within its form factor (bigger then phone, but smaller then iPad) its basically perfect.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
if you were thinking about getting a portable media player or tablet, and you don't want something iPad sized, this is the device to get. Within its form factor (bigger then phone, but smaller then iPad) its basically perfect.
Thanks for the input.

I am looking to buy some tablet. It's tough to pull the trigger with something better always promised in the next couple of months. The Nexus 7 sounds like it will be relevant (i.e. good enough), for long enough to justify the price tag.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM

I could use something the size of the newer kindle. That fit's in my pocket rather nicely but my old kindle keyboard doesn't with it's case on

Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM

I jumped in and got a 16g Nexus 7. I am impressed. I like the size, it feels solid, and its fast. I have hit a few apps that don't support job, but nothing to important. Although I can't find a good SMS client. GO won't send for some reason, hand.... doesn't support jb and I can't figure out G voice.

Great device overall.

BTW, there is a soft key (down arrow) to close the keyboard.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I jumped in and got a 16g Nexus 7. I am impressed. I like the size, it feels solid, and its fast. I have hit a few apps that don't support job, but nothing to important. Although I can't find a good SMS client. GO won't send for some reason, hand.... doesn't support jb and I can't figure out G voice.
Perhaps the lack of actual cellular radio screws it up? I think Go can use internet SMS, but it may assume theres a cellular radio since all phones have them. Google voice should work, though you'll need to register a new phone number with them.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM

I've started seeing reviews of this tablet and I have to admit, they have me drooling.

the size 16 Gb size and no SD card does not bother me, I will not be using it for music (I have my 32Gb J3 for that with its additional 32Gb card) but a few movies could be nice. I'm also interested in what ICS brings, which seems to be quite impressive.

One thing that clinched it for me was the fact that it can have e-books and has the Amazon Kindle app. My wife had thought about getting me a plain kindle for my birthday in October... I think I know what I'll get instead.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Thread moved.

No SD slot = instant 100% dealbreaker, for my needs. The 16GB internal memory (of which only 12GB or so are actually usable, cause of the various OS partitions) of my Galaxy Tab 7.7 are filled to the brim with app data, Titanium and CM backups, etc - no audio/video/books/comics at all, they're all on the external SD card.

There is an app (if you root) that will allow you to use a flash drive/external hardware/etc. I know it's not as convienant as an SD slot, but it works in a pinch.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Default no sd slot

i totally agree they don't have a sd slot so you HAVE to use cloud. i for one won't use it. i'm going to save for my sgp 5 but then something better than the spg 5 might come along.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
There is an app (if you root) that will allow you to use a flash drive/external hardware/etc. I know it's not as convienant as an SD slot, but it works in a pinch.
I wonder if they have a similar solution to the New Ipad (not the ipad 2)

Last edited by h1a8; 08-06-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

well 8gb is plenty for me since i would mostly use it for internet based stuff. still i'm holding off to buy a 7" tablet until they have a decent one for $200 with a fair amount of data at $20 a month no contract. Until that happens I'll wait.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Loving the size of my 7. You can use any bluetooth keyboard with it, and there are several out there to choose from. I'll buy a Surface tablet when they show up, but with no 7" version mentioned it'll fall into the same use patterns I have for my iPad. I haven't picked up my iPad since my 7 arrived.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM

From an HP Touchpad to the N7 is an easy transition because neither has full sized USB, nor hdmi, but both encourage (lol) cloud storage. I'm also able to stream content from my desktop to both.I will not complain about the TP, but it's size and weight makes the N7 my go to guy. The snappy quad is noticeably faster than the TP's snapdragon dually ( which is no joke either) my biggest complaint about them both? That darn auto-correct by default tries not to let me use leet or slang!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
I wonder if they have a similar solution to the New Ipad (not the ipad 2)
I wouldnt doubt it, but it probably requires Jailbreak. I would check out iMore.com

Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Is there anything with this device that would prevent me from doing the following?:

Running Mediamonkey > mini USB > external DAC > Main Stereo

Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah.volunteer View Post
Is there anything with this device that would prevent me from doing the following?:

Running Mediamonkey > mini USB > external DAC > Main Stereo

Thanks
That won't work with the stock ROM, but there is probably some hack that adds a USB audio driver.