android
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM

Default Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus vs. Clip Zip?

Hi all,

I just read somewhere on abi that the Rockbox port for the Zip is practically ready, and I'm wondering if I should get one.

How does it compare to the Clip Plus, e.g. in terms of battery life? I understand that on RB the Zip holds charge longer than with the stock firmware. Does the RB'd Clip Plus work longer still?

What about the stock earbuds? The ones that come with the Plus are pretty nice. What about the ones that come with the Zip?

Also, what about the output signal level? I have 150-Ohm Yuins, and they are loud enough on the Plus.

Does it actually work with >32G micro SDXC cards? I assume that the Clip Plus does not.

I was kind of surprised that there wasn't already a thread on this. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks,

Sergei

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This would be a place to start.....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64913

Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 AM

Thanks, that's a very nice detailed review. And a very very long thread. Maybe the answers to all of my questions are buried there

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

There's several threads like this one spread out all over the Clip Zip and Clip+ subforums. Guess another here in the Compare section won't hurt anything.

The simplest way to think of the Clip Zip is it's a Clip+ with a color screen and a few other cosmetic changes. It gained some things like partly functional AAC support. It lost others like displaying less information on the stock firmware Now Playing screen.

If you already have a Rockboxed Clip+ I'd go ahead and get the Clip Zip. The only reason the CZ port is still listed as Unstable is one of the plugins hasn't been updated and missing images in the manual. Like the Clip+ day to day function is solid.

The only battery benchmark I did on a Clip Zip was early in the CZ port. The results were similar to the ones I got with a Clip+, somewhere around 15 hours. I haven't read any complaints about short battery life or noticed a difference in my everyday use. Not the most solid evidence the battery life is still better but people kick up a fuss when the relatively short battery life drops any.

The earbuds on the CZ appear to be the same as always. I don't use them but can't see any difference. BTW, I've identified at least 4 models of stock sandisk earbuds. None of them sound good to me but I really dislike earbuds so I'm not the best judge. The people I've given them to say they like them, not the best or worse but definitely worth having.

The audio hardware on the Clip+ and Clip Zip is the same. The RMAA result dfkt posted are here. No differences worth mentioning as you can see.

Both the Clip+ CZ along with a number of devices work with SDXC cards formatted FAT32. SDXC cards come formatted exFAT but I've seen several ways to format them FAT32 and now that I think of it can't remember anyone reporting a problem getting one to work recently. There's no doubt someone that had a problem but I haven't read of it happening recently.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Thank you!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM
ABI Invaluable

It seems to me that Marvin and Skip answered all your questions, so I’ll just touch on a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergivs View Post
… What about the stock earbuds? The ones that come with the Plus are pretty nice. What about the ones that come with the Zip?
As far as I can tell all the Sansa earbuds I’ve tried sound the same, nothing special. Better headphones make a huge difference in the Clips SQ performance IMHO. Although not all is lost, if you butcher the clips earbuds they do yield some very good uses like this or many others in that thread

Quote:
Also, what about the output signal level? I have 150-Ohm Yuins, and they are loud enough on the Plus.
If they’re loud enough on the plus model, you shouldn’t have a problem on the Zip.

Quote:
Does it actually work with >32G micro SDXC cards? I assume that the Clip Plus does not.
As long as the card is formatted FAT32 it should work fine with either model, that said I don’t use the original firmware so I can’t say how much added time/frustration to db refresh this would add.

Quote:
I was kind of surprised that there wasn't already a thread on this. Sorry if I missed it.
Ever question you’ve asked is covered in various threads in the “Sub-Forums : Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip.”

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Hey, I've got a quicky. I'm wanting to get something samller/more portable then what I've got(iRiver B100). What would you guys suggest between these two players?
Clip Zip [4gb+32gb], iriver B100 [4gb+32gb], Cilp+[8gb+8gb], iriver SPINN [4gb], Phillips GoGear SA6000 [8gb], Creative Zen [2gb+4gb], Sansa C200[2gb+2gb], ilo Player [1gb+2gb], mobiblu DAH 220 Cassette MP3 player, Rio Diamond.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Flip a coin. Or pick the one that's cheaper/easier to get. Aside from the low resolution color screen everything thing else is the same imo.

Battery life, sound quality even Rockbox are essentially the same with the ones I have. I like the Clip+ a little more but I figured out that due to familiarity instead of it being technically superior in any way.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Get the zip i like the controls better.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Ummm get the Clip+, I like the controls better.

I'm still not used to the control pad with the smaller up and down buttons on the Zip (done to accomodate the larger screen). But the most annoying button on the Zip for me is the on/off button. It rarely seems to work (on my player anyway) with just one push.

Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Ummm get the Clip+, I like the controls better.

I'm still not used to the control pad with the smaller up and down buttons on the Zip (done to accomodate the larger screen). But the most annoying button on the Zip for me is the on/off button. It rarely seems to work (on my player anyway) with just one push.

Steve
Get both!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Ha! I just played with the Zip at my bestbuy and man does it blow! Why is that screen even on there? I wonder if it serves any purpose other then being HIDEOUS! Not to bash on anybody, just my opinion. I think I'll go with the Clip+ just so I don't have to vomit in my mouth every time I wanna change the track(Even though I did like the controls better on the Zip). Although, I might jsut wait till the new summer line up comes out... Nah, I'll go ahead and get the Clip+ for now. thanks Skip252 and mamaia88!

Haha! Marivn, you would say that! Maybe someday when I've got money coming out of my.. uh.. pocket? Yeah, when I've got money coming out of my pockets I'll get both. Haha!
Clip Zip [4gb+32gb], iriver B100 [4gb+32gb], Cilp+[8gb+8gb], iriver SPINN [4gb], Phillips GoGear SA6000 [8gb], Creative Zen [2gb+4gb], Sansa C200[2gb+2gb], ilo Player [1gb+2gb], mobiblu DAH 220 Cassette MP3 player, Rio Diamond.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalGusBus View Post
Ha! I just played with the Zip at my bestbuy and man does it blow! Why is that screen even on there? I wonder if it serves any purpose other then being HIDEOUS!
It's OK with Rockbox.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 PM

I think I'll get the Zip and if I don't like it I'll triad with my wife who has a Clip+.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Administrator

The screen isn't that bad. It's about as low res as you can get and the colors are off but I don't think it's vomit it your mouth bad. If it were intended to be used as a video screen it would be totally unacceptable but as a album art instead of text display I think it's borderline tolerable.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The screen isn't that bad. It's about as low res as you can get and the colors are off but I don't think it's vomit it your mouth bad. If it were intended to be used as a video screen it would be totally unacceptable but as a album art instead of text display I think it's borderline tolerable.
even without album art it's fine. seriously what do you expect for $40 in an mp3 player that is the size of a matchbox? the screen does it's job nothing more nothing less

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 AM
ABI Invaluable

While I don’t use the screen much other than navigation and tweaking, I prefer the look of rockbox with the Zip screen over the previous clips.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Well if you haven't bought either this deal is really good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...55125187-L024A 8gb refurbed clip+ for $33

Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Well if you haven't bought either this deal is really good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...55125187-L024A 8gb refurbed clip+ for $33
That is a nice deal, the best deal I've seen on the 8GB Zip is when costco has it on sale and if IRC it's just a little higher.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 AM

I just got the Clip Zip and it is awesome. Using the stock firmware for now. The navigation is better than in Clip+, but the biggest (for me) problems remain: does not seem to support playlists and cue sheets. Anyway, I really like this thing. As somebody mentioned already, the FM receiver is much better. Most importantly, like the Clip+, it seems to have been designed by someone who knew and liked what they were doing. A rare combination.

Tags
clip plus, clip zip, clip+, sansa clip