android
  #1  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Gerbilkit Gerbilkit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 26
Default Where to buy Data/Charging Cable? - Clip Zip

After I lost my second Fuze this year I went and got myself a clip zip deciding if I am someone who keeps losing electronics I might as well get the cheaper one. It's actually been pretty good. But I was never a fan of the really short charging cable, although it worked out well enough when I had it. But now my cable is lost and I haven't been able to find a new one. I bought a cable on amazon that was supposed to fit, but when it arrived it didn't fit. I love just about everything with sansa, but if there's one thing I hate it's their d**n propietary cables. I literally have no idea right now where I can get a new cable for my player. Suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,514
Default

The Clip ZIP does NOT require a proprietary cable. For example, it uses the exact same cable as my wife's Sony eReader, and apparently many cell phones.

You require a MICRO USB cable, you probably bought a mini USB cable.

Available at many many places, and in various lengths. I like the short one that comes with the player for charging in the car.
For example,
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-PC...item3f18364319

Steve
__________________
Everybody should own at least one Sansa Clip family player. Except maybe the Sport.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Tapeworm's Avatar
Tapeworm Tapeworm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California, the Granola State
Posts: 481
Default

And if you want the "official" cable, you can buy it directly from theSanDisk store:

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdisku...ctID.243719300
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
And if you want the "official" cable, you can buy it directly from theSanDisk store:
That's probably the short one that Gerbilkit said he didn't like.

Steve
__________________
Everybody should own at least one Sansa Clip family player. Except maybe the Sport.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

And a bunch (with different cable lengths) at Meritline.com, at inexpensive pricing.

http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.a...icro+usb+cable

Meritline not infrequently has them on sale at around US$1 shipped.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The Clip ZIP does NOT require a proprietary cable. For example, it uses the exact same cable as my wife's Sony eReader, and apparently many cell phones.

You require a MICRO USB cable, you probably bought a mini USB cable.

Available at many many places, and in various lengths. I like the short one that comes with the player for charging in the car.

Steve
I have several devices now that use the micro-USB connection, so I've consigned the Clip Zip shorty cable to a spot in my laptop bag....and use the other, longer cables I have around the house.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

And I keep the SanDisk shorty cable in my small IEM headphone case--it's always available wherever I might be and using my headphones that way, and small enough that it's totally nonobtrusive; it also lets the Clip serve as a quick flash drive that way, when I didn't think to bring one with me (such as at the library, if I am surfing the net there and want to download something). Love the shorty cable.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
mamamia88 mamamia88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 871
Default

you lost 2 fuzes and you bought the easiest mp3 player in the world to lose? anyway you can use any micro usb cable. you can get them dirt cheap on the website monoprice.com. might want to bundle a bunch of other stuff so you get it in once package and don't pay shipping twice
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
might want to bundle a bunch of other stuff so you get it in once package and don't pay shipping twice
The nice thing about Meritline.com: shipping often is free.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Tapeworm's Avatar
Tapeworm Tapeworm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California, the Granola State
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The nice thing about Meritline.com: shipping often is free.
A bargain at twice the price!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 AM
hierogrammate hierogrammate is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The Clip ZIP does NOT require a proprietary cable.
That's yet another one of the reasons I bought the Clip Zip: it uses a standard micro USB cable.

I tend to shy away from any brands that use non-standard power or audio cables... I've always felt that's a sleazy way of forcing me to buy only their overpriced cables. :-P

About the shortish cable that comes with the Clip... I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand, it's compact size makes it ideal to carry it with me at all times. On the other hand, since I normally use tower desktops to charge the Clip (and enclosures tend to have their USB ports on top or half-way up), I hate the idea of leaving it dangling in mid-air while it charges... which is why I purchased a 6' micro USB cable.

Also, I don't have my PC on all day. I always want to have the option to charge my gadgets from a wall socket. Besides, it seems that charging gadgets from an AC socket takes less time than a USB port. Seeing that I had a few mini-usb wall chargers from my old Razr cellphone, I decided to also purchase this mini-to-micro converter:


http://tinyurl.com/bmba4fl

Which is why I love having non-proprietary cables. So many inexpensive choices available to me...
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
dave61430 dave61430 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 158
Default

I've used them quite a bit. I don't know how they do the free shipping, I just got an FM transmitter for less than $8 - free shipping.
I'm waiting for a couple of mini usb to the ebook etc. type connector, less than $2 with free ship. The downside is the shipping time can be in excess of 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

Meritline indeed is a great find. For the longest time, Meritline was selling inexpensive items (such as a plastic DAP easel, a USB cable, a soft camera case) each for a few hours throughout the day, with special sale pricing oftentimes as low as around 39 cents, with free shipping; it still has lower-priced items on sale throughout the day from its main webpage, as well as in its weekly sales publicized via email, again with free ship. I've never understood the economics of it, given the international shipping costs (and even just the packaging and handling costs)--perhaps to develop a customer list?

Shipping indeed is longer, products typically coming from Hong Kong (but not always--some electronics have come to me from California). Hong Kong items typically get to me in the U.S. in 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, a few times a bit longer (2-1/2 to 3). Customer service always has been good, altho some product descriptions can be a bit sketchy--customer reviews sometimes help with that.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
mamamia88 mamamia88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierogrammate View Post
That's yet another one of the reasons I bought the Clip Zip: it uses a standard micro USB cable.

I tend to shy away from any brands that use non-standard power or audio cables... I've always felt that's a sleazy way of forcing me to buy only their overpriced cables. :-P

About the shortish cable that comes with the Clip... I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand, it's compact size makes it ideal to carry it with me at all times. On the other hand, since I normally use tower desktops to charge the Clip (and enclosures tend to have their USB ports on top or half-way up), I hate the idea of leaving it dangling in mid-air while it charges... which is why I purchased a 6' micro USB cable.

Also, I don't have my PC on all day. I always want to have the option to charge my gadgets from a wall socket. Besides, it seems that charging gadgets from an AC socket takes less time than a USB port. Seeing that I had a few mini-usb wall chargers from my old Razr cellphone, I decided to also purchase this mini-to-micro converter:


http://tinyurl.com/bmba4fl

Which is why I love having non-proprietary cables. So many inexpensive choices available to me...
Does anyone know of one that is opposite of that? aka micro to mini
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
bikertrash bikertrash is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Default

Walmart, RadioShack, BestBuy and more have your cable. Or you could steal one from your wicked stepsister when she's busy making plans to enslave the earth.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
hierogrammate hierogrammate is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Does anyone know of one that is opposite of that? aka micro to mini
Check this page on NewEgg.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

Or here and similar via eBay, at U.S. 99 cents shipped . . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINI-USB...#ht_2185wt_858
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Gerbilkit Gerbilkit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 26
Default

Thanks so much everyone. There's a reason I come here for my questions. I feel really dumb now not noticing that. Of course that's probably what I like the most about Sansa is that they listen to their customers and implement feature changes we want. A standard cable is very much appreciated. Turns out due to my excessive saving of old USB cables from my phones I had one already and so problem was solved.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
hierogrammate hierogrammate is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Or here and similar via eBay, at U.S. 99 cents shipped . . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINI-USB...#ht_2185wt_858

Oooh, this is a nice find. Dunno why I didn't check eBay first. Duh.

Thanks for the link
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

Love eBay for these inexpensive Hong Kong accessories; can eliminate the "shipping penalty" where the shipping cost is many times the cost of the item.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.